Airfix 1/72nd Vickers Supermarine Spitfire MkIa

As a self-confessed Battle of Britain nerd, I obviously simply must have a Spitfire in my collection. This is the current tooling from Airfix, and originally came in the 75th anniversary boxing with the Hurricane, Bf109 and He111.

Vickers Supermarine Spitfire MkIa – (unknown serial) LO•P, No 602 Squadron, RAF Fighter Command, Westhampnett, West Sussex, August 1940.

28391958737_758ca8a4d8_b.jpg

43211972902_12a438bcbd_b.jpg

28391956977_b7a0e4ac73_b.jpg

28391956627_211f3746b1_b.jpg

Straight from the box, with main markings from an Xtradecal Battle of Britain Fighter Command decal set. I found the Airfix decals very uncooperative, though I managed to use the stencils. Camo colours were airbrushed Xtracrylics.

• Like 28

9 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Lovely Spitfire - turned out great.

8 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

That's turned out very well indeed :clap2:

Thanks both!

Everyone loves a Spitfire, I suppose. It’s definitely an iconic shape that captures the imagination. The idea behind my 1940 collection is to have at least one example of every type that operated in the western European theatre during the year. One Spitfire is currently sufficient. However, I’m considering my options to get a metal-winged Hurricane, so if I have two Hurris I ought to have a second Spit - perhaps a MkII? Is there sufficient external difference between a MkI and a MkII? Am I enthused enough that I want to spend time doing the research? I’m not sure on that. ;)

The 1970s Airfix Hurricane MkI is a half decent little kit if you can get hold of it. It is a metal winged version. It lacks the detail of the recentish new tool Hurricane but looks quite nice built up. I did one a while ago.

5 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

The 1970s Airfix Hurricane MkI is a half decent little kit if you can get hold of it. It is a metal winged version. It lacks the detail of the recentish new tool Hurricane but looks quite nice built up. I did one a while ago.

I know. I’ve got two in the stash, plus detailing sets. :thumbsup:

I like Spitfires a lot and yours is an excellent example.

The only external differences I can think of between the Spitfire I and II is that the later has a bulge for its Coffman starter on the lower starboard engine cowling and the propeller (I think the II had a Rotol rather than a De Havilland). All the parts you need are in the Airfix Early MkI/ MkII boxing.

Regarding Hurricanes, the 1979(?) Airfix I is, I seem to recall, pretty accurate and I think the wheelwells and cockpit bits from their fabric-winged Hurricane will fit, if you want to jazz it up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Thanks both!

Everyone loves a Spitfire, I suppose. It’s definitely an iconic shape that captures the imagination. The idea behind my 1940 collection is to have at least one example of every type that operated in the western European theatre during the year. One Spitfire is currently sufficient. However, I’m considering my options to get a metal-winged Hurricane, so if I have two Hurris I ought to have a second Spit - perhaps a MkII? Is there sufficient external difference between a MkI and a MkII? Am I enthused enough that I want to spend time doing the research? I’m not sure on that. ;)

one Spitfire is definitely not enough 😉

I guess in 1/72 the difference between the Mk.I and MkII isn't that visible - anyway get one done. Cool project with building all active planes in 1940 on the western front.

Cheers,

Michael

One Spitfire isn't enough.  In 1940 there were 5 different types in two different top side colour schemes and four different basic underside arrangements, one of which has four variants and another in varying versions of the colours.

Cheers

Wll

• Confused 1

A little stunner.  A beautiful paint finish, authentic looking weathering and some great photography.  Maybe you'd like to consider a cannon armed IB or IIB to ring the changes.

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Maybe you'd like to consider a cannon armed IB or IIB to ring the changes.

As long as it fits into my strict 1940 time frame, that would be interesting.

6 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Your areial wire on your work is spot on.

Ta. I’ve discovered EZ line. It’s resistance to fumble fingers is a revelation!