Red Band Emil

Another finish for 2018: the not so delightful Airfix 1/72 109E in the colours of Hans Ohly of JG53. Some artistic license re the over-painted swastika and I always wanted to see what an 109E would look like with a pointy spinner. A bit of silliness with a home made stand and tiny magnets as I hate drilled holes in models.

Finally still getting to grips with my Nikon D850 and photography in  general, will update these with better shots when my tired brain can comprehend more. WIP here

port1.JPG

portprofile.JPG

portback.JPG

top2

details

stbd1

stbd2

overfly

overfly2

Some ropey last minute fixes, especially on the aerial and a replacement cannon but it looks passable.

Cheers

Anil

EDIT: uploaded new pictures 13 December 2018

• Like 38

It's a great model and I'm fascinated by the magentic fixings on the stand. Did you fix the other magnetic fixture on the inside surface of the wing underside? It's an interesting option. As an aside, I did a bit of digging around when I modelled a JG 53 Bf 109 that came down in Eastbourne on 30/9/40. What I discovered was that JG 53 experimented with non standard camo on their a/c as shown in your model and the profile you based it on. The irregular patterns of 65/02/71 on the fuselage look great but I think the wing uppersurfaces were probably not painted with the standard splinter patten used by most Jagdwaffe a/c. Chris Goss ' book, Brothers in Arms, which focusses on the experiences of 609 Squadron and I Gruppe JG 53 has a pic of Hans Ohly's White 7 on page 122 which shows enough of the left wing uppersurface to get an idea of how this probably looked. It's a very credtable model anyway and I envy your ability to make your hands nimble enough to deal with 1/72 scale, unlike fumble fingers here. Paul

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

It's a great model and I'm fascinated by the magentic fixings on the stand. Did you fix the other magnetic fixture on the inside surface of the wing underside? It's an interesting option. As an aside, I did a bit of digging around when I modelled a JG 53 Bf 109 that came down in Eastbourne on 30/9/40. What I discovered was that JG 53 experimented with non standard camo on their a/c as shown in your model and the profile you based it on. The irregular patterns of 65/02/71 on the fuselage look great but I think the wing uppersurfaces were probably not painted with the standard splinter patten used by most Jagdwaffe a/c. Chris Goss ' book, Brothers in Arms, which focusses on the experiences of 609 Squadron and I Gruppe JG 53 has a pic of Hans Ohly's White 7 on page 122 which shows enough of the left wing uppersurface to get an idea of how this probably looked. It's a very credtable model anyway and I envy your ability to make your hands nimble enough to deal with 1/72 scale, unlike fumble fingers here. Paul

thanks for compliments gents! The other magnet is superglued to the inside of the wing and these little N52s are strong enough that the stand remains attached when you pick the model up.

Regarding the camo, I've read a lot of sources that said JG53 oversprayed the wing splinters and none of their planes had the troublesome motorkanone hence the covered spinner. The kit has a few issues, notably the soft plastic and large sprue gates meant that aerials etc disintegrated during removal. I'm doing a Tamiya 109E3 next to see if it is really is as good as folks say.

• 2 weeks later...

Supurb, I love the stand and magnet idea.  The port side wing light looks marvellous fantastic detailing very envious....  I'm currently doing an old Frog 109F and just filled in the hole for the stand seeing your 109 making think to go in flight mode and use the naff Frog stand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:40, azureglo said:

Some ropey last minute fixes, especially on the aerial and a replacement cannon but it looks passable.

PASSABLE... PASSABLE... Its amazing man - I couldn't do that at 1/48 - never mind 1/72 :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1