1/72 Westland Whirlwind (second version) - FINISHED (no weathering)

On to masking for the codes:

A648_ED94-4_E72-4520-98_C7-2_A7_E4_FD0_C

First side:

9253_AFA6-_C08_B-4124-9_A24-_A460677076_

Not a fluke!

42_B25_F30-3746-428_E-_A63_C-7121_A3_BED

And some decals. Xtradecal for fuselage and under wing, kit ones on top (Xtradecal did not have the right size). The kit roundels need a touch up to lose the white edge.

E8_CE8_ACC-8_A8_F-4818-9_AD0-_A9_A4_B2_C

Tomorrow I need to do fin flash, serials and small bits. I will leave weathering until I am back in a fortnight.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 13

That is looking very good Adrian, these kits seem to build up rather nicely & I'm always a little sorry I moved my one on after I acquired a Special Hobby one. I don't see this build diminishing that feeling any. :(

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well this morning brought more masking:

3_E11_DC00-_C5_A6-4_BA8-9_BB4-_EF5_F6812

the stripes are too wide to use the Xtradecal striping, so insignia blue was Revell 54 night blue mixed with black, white was a strip from MPM Free French Blenheim markings and the red was mixed from Hu 70 + 60.

Serials were bodged together from the kit ones with a tiny hand touch up:

E829_E70_C-4_A35-4_C92-91_B8-150_AA362_D

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Looking fabulous. :thumbsup:

You’ve tempted me to dig my copy of this kit from my long-term stash storage. I believe I have just enough space in my current display cabinet. You’ve also tempted me to have a go at masking and painting for serials and markings,  but I think I need to invest in a long-planned new airbrush before I go there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

not SH

Aaaah, the Pavla. It doesn’t have a great reputation. However, I hear the cockpit fits the Airfix one well :)

31 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

tempted

Well I can thoroughly recommend this kit as a fun build, and it’s quite petite too so I’m sure you could get it in your cabinet somewhere.

As for templates, there is the @CedB style high road, with computer controlled cutters and whatnot, or there’s my way which is somewhat, errr, lower tech! This is the fourth time I’ve done my own codes (despite owning sheets of the damn things which never have the right size/style/colour), and it gets easier every time. I brush paint everything unless it’s a rattlecan job, and I keep meaning to buy an airbrush. But that would turn a hobby into hard work!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

I made up some radiator fronts from plastic scraps to fill the ducts:

EAC7_F779-68_CF-45_C7-8_C69-1_B38_B27_AC

The test fit went well, so well in fact that I can’t get them out again! Matt varnish will be my friend here.

215_BE07_F-_B33_F-4_B90-_A31_E-38_A28_BC

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

This is a great build, Adrian, wandering drill bits or not. The masking for the squadron codes and fin flashes is inspiring so I must try that on a build sometime - will allow me to stray from kit decals. It has come to mind that the nose cannons on this '2nd tool' version of Airfix's Whirlwind were a great improvement on the over-thick ones in the first tool so I'm looking forward to see how they turn out. I wonder if there is any aftermarket brass available. Enjoying it. Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Just when you thought it was safe....

FA2_B94_D9-8_E96-4097-875_A-0_F4_A23_E30

Wandering drill bits!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

ouch...

bronze_205.jpg

I was nearly there on Friday night - power tools and wine in my case - luckily I pulled it off.  Don't you just hate drill bits...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

This is a great build, Adrian, wandering drill bits or not.

Thanks Mike (edit: and BigX!). The damage wasn't as bad as it looked, especially now that I have a decent match for roundel blue.

I think I've seen a Flightpath set, but the person doing the build had trouble making it fit. Otherwise, (it is said) the Pavla kit makes a great detail set for the Airfix kit!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And... done!

41_EF0227-779_F-4_D93-991_F-_F3072374604

There are numerous other things I could do, but I’m calling it done for now because I’m away tomorrow morning for two weeks of work.

When I get back I may weather it some.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 13

looks excellent, i recently bought a 1/48 version which i hope to do at some point. Always had a soft spot for a Whirlwind ever since building the Airfix kit as a child very badly, yours makes me think I might acquire another. Would love to see a 1/1 version, hope the Whirlwind Fighter Project get going again soon.

• Thanks 1

Excellent work on this neat Airfix Whirlwind, Adrian,

It really looks the part and (IMO) would benefit a little if a small amount of weathering was applied to it. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thanks Mike (edit: and BigX!). The damage wasn't as bad as it looked, especially now that I have a decent match for roundel blue.

I think I've seen a Flightpath set, but the person doing the build had trouble making it fit. Otherwise, (it is said) the Pavla kit makes a great detail set for the Airfix kit!

Regards,

Adrian

Whatever Whirlwind set your source had trouble making fit wasn't a Flightpath set, since we have never produced one! Always best to check facts beforehand, paricularly if they are negative 'facts'.

David Parkins

Flightpath

1 hour ago, djparkins said:

since we have never produced one!

David, my fault entirely for not checking. I apologise.

The Flightpath set that I have personally used is for the Airfix Anson, which fitted perfectly.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1