Zveno 'Mothership'

RiotRolo

Hi guys,

Whilst scrolling through some websites I came across a description of a plane which had a purpose I had never seen before. If you are interested in the Zveno 'mothership' check it out  here: http://www.aviation-history.com/zveno/zveno.htm

I thought it was quite interesting so thought I would share it with you all :) 

Ryan 

• Thanks 1

I knew it existed but nothing about it's genesis. Very interesting. Not very practical though, it seems to me that it would be in more danger from it's own fighters than the enemy. Plus if the enemy managed to shoot down the whole contraption. Would it count as one kill or three kills?

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, apart from that Danube bridge bombing (which I believe was either the longest or the second longest viaduct in the world at the time) Zvenos had been quite busy. Among other targets they busted railway part of combined rail/road bridge over, I think, Dnjeper river. Road part remained in heavy use and Germans were reluctant to disturb motor traffic so repairs of the rail part had to wait. Railway traffic dropped and I think it was von Manstein who claimed this was the main contributing factor for German defeat at Stalingrad. While this claim is a massive stretch, it still indicates Zveno bomber's importance. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1