B-26 Marauder

Thought I would give this one a go.

The kit has recently been re-released, but I'm not using that boxing.  Instead, I will be using this one.

B26-001.JPG

This one was rescued from a charity shop some time ago.   The original owner had written on the box "build as mild and bitter".  I would love to, but the decals are too far gone.

Here we go with the sprue shots -  not that all the parts are still on the sprues.  

B26-002.JPG

The photo isn't distorted.  the sprues actually are bent! 

B26-003.JPG

B26-004.JPG

B26-005.JPG

The instructions and complaints slip are pure nostalgia! :thumbsup:

B26-006.JPG

• Like 13

This is another kit i remember from childhood....will be watching with interest - i've seen a few builds on this gb that make me want to go back to old school airfix 1/72....👍

• Like 2

Some work on the fuselage halves.

The cockpit interior was painted with Xtracrylix XA1117 Interior green

B26-007.JPG

The cockpit was dressed with pre-coloured PE from Eduard.  The set is intended for the Hasegawa kit, but I'm a wowdy webel and so I brutally, viciously and callously put it in the Airfix kit. :D

B26-008.JPG

The nacelle interiors were sprayed with aluminium from a rattle can.

B26-009.JPG

• Like 7

I built this one back in the mid-70's. After trying to weight down the nose, I built it wheels up with the bomb doors open and hung it from a string. I have one in my stash now. Yours is looking real good. I'll be following the rest of the build.

Chris

• Like 2

I never built a Marauder, always wanted to but never got round to it.  I thought it was a very good looking aircraft even if it had its issues.  Nice looking build, keep up the good work...

• Like 2

Hi Enzo,

this is truly a beautiful plane. This kit is still a must and you are doing a great job of it.

If I remember correctly, the main issue with this kit is the position of the horizontal tail surfaces, that should be located more forward. But when all is said and done, it still looks like a sexy Marauder!

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2018 at 19:55, Enzo Matrix said:

Main assembly completed

B26-011.JPG

Hello Enzo - I know your moderator and GB activities this year are keeping you extremely busy but I just wondered if this Marauder had sprouted any more bits as yet. The more Marauders in this GB, the better. Cheers. Mike

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Don't tease us, show us! :D

:lol:

Okay...   canopy fitted and masked.  Engine cowlings also fitted. Filling and sanding required.

B26-012.JPG

Primed with Alclad2 grey primer.

B26-013.JPG

And the white stripes sprayed with Alclad2 white primer.

Speaking of white stripes...   check out Jack White's new album, Boarding House Reach.  Very bizarre indeed!  :thumbsup:

B26-014.JPG

The undersurfaces were then sprayed with Lifecolor UA -524 Neutral Grey - not an easy job as the colour being sprayed is very similar to the primer.  :wall:   The undersides were then masked off using Blutak worms, masking tape and Copydex

B26-015.JPG

B26-016.JPG

The uppersurfaces were then sprayed with Alclad2 High Speed Silver and Semi-Matt aluminium in random blobs.  Not that it shows...  

B26-017.JPG

I then sprayed a couple of coats of Mig chipping fluid. 

Twenty minutes ago I finished spraying the Olive Drab uppersurfaces, but that's a story for another day.  :D

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looks good, looks like if I ever want to do that nmf using the airfix decals I’m better off picking up an old issue, for on yours is a million times better. 

I think that’s usually the case Stu. The new boxes (red Honby ones) have much better decals, however the older boxes definitely have crisper parts. It’s a bit of a trade off however we are lucky that so many AM decals are available for most subjects these days. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

On 12/09/2018 at 09:46, AdrianMF said:

Looks very nice - looking forward to the chip-fest!

Here we go...

I sprayed a couple of coats of Mig chipping fluid and then sprayed Lifecolor UA-219 over the top.

B26-018.JPG

B26-019.JPG

then I got stuck into the chipping   ...and totally forgot to take any pictures! :wall:  

So here it is with the masking removed and stickers applied...

B26-020.JPG

B26-021.JPG

• Like 12