1/72 Revell Concorde

Nasty wheels Steve. A bit of filler should sort them but I would email the manufacturer as well - might get some 'reward' :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nasty wheels Steve. A bit of filler should sort them but I would email the manufacturer as well - might get some 'reward' :) 

Yes, your reward will be "More Filler" to fix the gaps Noddy.

6 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

Does the fin on your kit stand vertically? When I built mine it leant over to one side and I had to cut it off and shim it up.

Toby mine is OK.  You had me worried it was cockeyed.

Off to the LMS to buy paint for the Concorde and a new suit.  I wish people would stop getting married, I have to get new clothes for these events, maybe I should stop eating. mmmm have to think about that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Progress.

You lot thought I had given up, not likely.  This thing is not going to beat me.

I have been working on the engines and have decided the wheel wells should come first.

Filled some horrible gaps around the wheel wells with styrene and plenty of putty.

Before.

MG_3953-1.jpg

After.  The 2 blocks hold the wheel well covers in place.  It will all become as clear as mud in a later update.

MG_4033-1.jpg

Before

MG_3956-1.jpg

After

MG_4034-1.jpg

Some PE added.  Yes, it too had to be bashed into shape to fit as everything on this model.  Nothing fits 

MG_4036-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Stephen

• Like 4

Keep going! Don't worry about the kit's inaccuracies, you'd probably have never noticed them if you'd not been told. The photoetch does improve the model but the thrust reversal actuators are unusable. Don't forget to add the panels by the nose wheel leg and blend them in with filler. I wasn't that impressed with the Airwaves wheels, they were a pig to fit on the leg struts. I had to make up new axles. 

It's a labour of love this kit but looks stonking when done. Oh final tip, reinforce the join between the inner and outer parts of the wing underside. Add plasticard strips internally. The join is a pig to join, fill and sand but you"ll get there! Thankfully, the Revell decals are much better than Airfix as they are graduated like the real thing. Enjoy! 😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched "Concorde Designing a Dream" on the SBS

Engines On.

Finally after a week or two trying to paint and fit the engines.

The kit has 3 pins (circled in pencil on the model) that the engines are supposed to fit on.  But no go, the pins are too far apart.  One inside the engine and the other outside.

The problem is which way is correct.  I temporarily fitted the flaps and found that both pins should be inside the engine nacelles.  Cut notches out of the nacelles in the appropriate places - second picture.

MG_4039-1.jpg

MG_4051-1.jpg

Have a look at the gap I now have to fill, both sides.

MG_4053-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. 

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, the step at the top of the engines. I'm not sure How I overcame those now. I've just had a look at mine and I think I blended them in with filler, they look absolutely fine now. When you come to fit the entire engine bay, do remember there is a gap at the front by the intakes, that front part of the whole assembly doesn't quite touch the underside of the wing. 

I look at my finished model and whilst I'm hellishly proud of it, it was an absolute mojo killer. Sadly my build thread went west with Photobucket 😜, though you're doing a splendid job so far!

• Like 1

HP42 I have started to fill the step at the top of the engines.  A strip of styrene suitably shaped and glued in place, roughly butchered to shape with a dremel and now the filling begins.  More putty.

Poor photobucket, in their wisdom they have lost a lot of respect.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 12:29 AM, StephenCJ said:

HP42 I have started to fill the step at the top of the engines.  A strip of styrene suitably shaped and glued in place, roughly butchered to shape with a dremel and now the filling begins.  More putty.

Poor photobucket, in their wisdom they have lost a lot of respect.

Yes, that's what I did come to think of it, styrene sheet and filler. Easier than trimming the engine nascell and more accurate, you dont lose the gap at the front then. 

I also used the aftermarket wheels and stuffed the photoetch on the hubs, didn't look so good in the end. Stick with the resin. 

• Like 1

Seconded - your mastering the beast! :) 

If it helps, my 'method' for the engine fit starts here. No easy solution to be honest but, as Phil (HP42) says, watch the front - you need a gap!

• Like 1

Hi Stephen - plenty of pictures helpfully provided by others in my build thread I think? Have a look here and have a quick scroll through the other bits.

Some useful links:

http://www.concordesst.com/detailpics.html

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/concorde/concorde_walk.shtml

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason/concorde/

HTH :) 

• Like 1