1/72 Revell Concorde

More progress on this horrid thing.  Billy one of our Bull Arab dogs is trying a cashew nut.  He likes them, he also likes macadamia nuts.  Garbage guts.

I have started gluing the fuselage together.  As you can see I have the bulkheads and front wheel well in place and now I have started to glue the other fuselage half in place.

The front wheel well is a horror to fit and a horror fit as you will see in my next update.

MG_3945-1.jpg

I have also glued the nose together.  As you can see they couldn't nose cone and the nose straight.  Filler required.

The right hand side is straight, the other mmmmm.

MG_3946-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and looking.

Stephen

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

What I can't understand why a company like Airfix, Heller and Revell can continue to reissue this kit without fixing it.

It would mean major retooling, essentially it will be a new kit.

I have now glued the fuselage halves together and started to fill the gaps with a mixture of kit plastic and MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone). 

I will post some pics of the result of this glue mixture later.

MEK is my glue of choice but I also use Tamiya Extra Thin if I am too lazy to reach for the MEK and a brush.

Postie delivered these today.

Masks.

IMG.jpg

Brengun PE and instructions.  The engine nozzles look a little scary, I can hear some colourful language coming.

pe-instr2.jpg

pe-instr1.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 6

I have finished filling the ejector pin marks on the flaps and assembled them.  I have removed the antenna from the top, it was in the way of some filling.

I am having trouble getting my head around the engines.  There are 2 pieces on the bottom of each engine.  You would assume that both pieces would fit

with the ejector pin marks so you won't see them, alas NO the piece with 4 ejector pin marks is visible inside the engine.  More filling.

There is 6 ejector pin marks that need filling per engine.  I will battle these tomorrow.

I think I will paint the engine insides while they are being built.  Here lies a tricky bit, what white to use??????  Tamiya X2?

MG_3948-1.jpg

The following pics are the result some of my work on the fuselage middle bit.  I have not finished glueing the wing bits, especially the top.

This is the result of plastic and glue mixture.

MG_3949-1.jpg

MG_3950-1.jpg

MG_3951-1.jpg

MG_3952-1.jpg

This area is going to be some fun, growl.

MG_3953-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 5

Good job Stephen, those joins are looking really good :) 

One tip you've probably thought of - the fin caused me a lot of problems (!!) as the parts are different thicknesses and will be easier to sand to match before you assemble.

• Like 1

Looking good Syephen, I doo like the PE parts, as you say there may be a little grief thee... Yes the poms do make elegant planes pity instead of being withdrawn from service, they weren't given to Branson, he might just have made them profitabe!

Only saw it inthe air once, coming into Manchester AP. It circled the office block I was working in. I sware the building shifted when the staff ran across the other side to see more of it!!!

Colin

• Like 1

Good idea Stephen! :rofl2:

For those who may have missed my escapade and not had 'the pleasure' of building this kit, the tail, centre and nose sections were reportedly moulded by different companies and, if you assemble the parts 'blindly' you're left with a difference in thickness where the fin joins:

30709181892_69cf90b566_z.jpg

As if that's not bad enough, the tail section is moulded from some sort of 'thick skinned' plastic that laughs at normal sanding sticks. I'm quite lazy and a complete 'tool tart' so I looked on the 'net for a suitable tool to resolve the problem and saw something called a 'finger sander' and stupidly assumed it was, er, finger sized. Not so.

30767897251_b8fcd92de8_z.jpg

Industrial. I still have the (mental) scars...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Nice work in taming this beast but I will never understand why Airfix/Heller ever thought it was a cunning plan to get different companies to mould different sprues. What could possibly go right? Methinks I smell the whiff of bean counters behind this kit.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Thank you for your post "Tool Tart" as others will be reminded of your fun with the fin.  I had a thought of getting hold of a finger sander as we all know you know what you are doing.

I couldn't wait for it to turn up in the mail and I would probably have to change the plug on the lead.

I sanded mine the good old fashioned way with sanding sticks and it is nearly there.  A pic when I mate the tail and the middle.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 7:18 AM, CedB said:

Good idea Stephen! :rofl2:

For those who may have missed my escapade and not had 'the pleasure' of building this kit, the tail, centre and nose sections were reportedly moulded by different companies and, if you assemble the parts 'blindly' you're left with a difference in thickness where the fin joins:

30709181892_69cf90b566_z.jpg

As if that's not bad enough, the tail section is moulded from some sort of 'thick skinned' plastic that laughs at normal sanding sticks. I'm quite lazy and a complete 'tool tart' so I looked on the 'net for a suitable tool to resolve the problem and saw something called a 'finger sander' and stupidly assumed it was, er, finger sized. Not so.

30767897251_b8fcd92de8_z.jpg

Industrial. I still have the (mental) scars...

I built up the thinner section of the tail on my kit with plastic card then filled & sanded. Sharing your pain with this!  

Pete

• Like 1

Update.  No more will I winge about this kit's fit problems.  I am wondering if the people who design these kits actually build them? mmmmmm

I have glued the tail on and have started filling, sanding and undercoating, filling, sanding and undercoating,  filling, sanding and undercoating. 

Plenty of sad joints to sort out.  I have sanded the fin and didn't resort to the scary tool CedB (Tool Tart) used.

MG_3955-1.jpg

I thought I would start at the rear of the model and fix some of the bad things and fit the PE that won't get broken off, wheel wells etc.

MG_3956-1.jpg

I have also worked out how I am going to do the nose.  I have scrapped away some plastic from the window roof as this improves the fit a little.  I have removed some plastic from the IP

as this improves the windscreen fit, and some from the windscreen as this improves fit, and the floor.  You guessed it, it improves fit.

I have decided to leave the nose moveable so fitting the windshield will be easier, I hope.

MG_3957-1.jpg

MG_3958-1.jpg

The postie came with this yesterday.  They came from Aviation Megastore in Holland, I think. 

I originally ordered this from Sandle Hobbies 3 weeks ago, no confirmation email, nothing really.  I am wondering if Sandle Hobbies really exist.  Sandle Hobbies could be a figment on the internet's imagination.

MG_3959-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

Great work Stephen, you’re certainly moulding it to your will and it’s looking good...

Moaning about the fit of the kit is one of the only joys you’ll get I fear, so carry on! :D 

• Like 1

It gets a bit frustrating when you attach a part you have to fill and sand the join and or fill and sand the part.  Every part.  

Going to go and play with the wheels they shouldn't need filling.

• Like 1