Airfix 1/72nd Handley Page Hampden MkI

Handley Page Hampden MkI – L4042 MG•M, No 7 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, Finningley, April 1940

42502046754_db6bbde938_b.jpg

29349085848_654aa8c6d4_b.jpg

42316337485_ccedde6542_b.jpg

28350878607_db85e2dd99_b.jpg

28350860277_30da738511_b.jpg

41410558250_c4f8b9b336_b.jpg

42502032414_51379244cb_b.jpg

29349083888_0c2b15c14f_b.jpg

First tooled around the time Armstrong and Aldrin stepped out onto the surface of the Moon, I'd had this kit in my stash for some years. It was a Humbrol period boxing, and had an awful lot of flash to deal with. I decided, rather than splash out on an Eastern European kit of this type, to splash out a bit and buy in the Airwaves detailing etch and see what I could do with the kit.

Main paintwork was by airbrush, something I'm still learning how to do well, with detail work by brush. Main camo paints were Xtracrylix, and final finish using airbrush ready enamel matt varnish from Precision Paints.

Rivets were banished, and principle panel lines were scribed - the first time I'd done this for a whole airframe. The PE set was fought and eventually tamed, though you can't see much of any of it now. The markings I am not convinced by, as my research hasn't turned up anything like them. However, I'm not about to change them now, as I like the early form with the yellow outer rings on the wings. One day, I dream, Airfix will treat us to a new tool of the Hampden. Until then, or until I decide to get another maker's version, this will live in my display cabinet happily. 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Handley Page Hampden MkI – L4042 MG•M, No 7 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, Finningley, April 1940

First tooled around the time Armstrong and Aldrin stepped out onto the surface of the Moon, I'd had this kit in my stash for some years. It was a Humbrol period boxing, and had an awful lot of flash to deal with. I decided, rather than splash out on an Eastern European kit of this type, to splash out a bit and buy in the Airwaves detailing etch and see what I could do with the kit.

Main paintwork was by airbrush, something I'm still learning how to do well, with detail work by brush. Main camo paints were Xtracrylix, and final finish using airbrush ready enamel matt varnish from Precision Paints.

Rivets were banished, and principle panel lines were scribed - the first time I'd done this for a whole airframe. The PE set was fought and eventually tamed, though you can't see much of any of it now. The markings I am not convinced by, as my research hasn't turned up anything like them. However, I'm not about to change them now, as I like the early form with the yellow outer rings on the wings. One day, I dream, Airfix will treat us to a new tool of the Hampden. Until then, or until I decide to get another maker's version, this will live in my display cabinet happily. 

Wow- had you not said Airfix, I would have thought it was the Valom/A-Z kit, because you have done a brilliant job of scribing and bolt (sorry, rivet) head removal. You've done a fantastic job of a kit that is ripe for retooling👍🎖

If I may ask- where did you get the 7 Squadron decals from please? I love to build WWII South Yorkshire based aircraft and currently have an A-Z Hampden awaiting it turn to become a 76 sqn one, using the Airfix P-EA codes. I built one as this A/C which years ago, but would love to do it as a 7sqn machine.

Edited by Julien
Please dont quote the whole topic for a reply

8 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

If I may ask- where did you get the 7 Squadron decals from please? I love to build WWII South Yorkshire based aircraft and currently have an A-Z Hampden awaiting it turn to become a 76 sqn one, using the Airfix P-EA codes. I built one as this A/C which years ago, but would love to do it as a 7sqn machine.

I can’t recall the name of the manufacturer now. I found them with a search the Hannants site. Try doing that with "Hampden" in the search field. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I can’t recall the name of the manufacturer now. I found them with a search the Hannants site. Try doing that with "Hampden" in the search field. 

I shall have a look, thank you 👍

Well done Heather I had to look twice to make sure it was the old Airfix kit. There's no doubt that bringing an old kit up to scratch takes modelling a notch higher than mere kit assembling.

Very well done.

Mike

Another interesting early war type superbly built and displayed and photographed.

I like your attention to those little details that many others miss such as the unpainted engine cooling gills.

regards, adey