Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Wez

P-47D-30-RA 3ème Esc de Chasse Adl'A 1946

Recommended Posts

As I'm back from my holidays I suppose I'd better register my entry for this GB.

 

My plan is to use Tamiya's 1/72nd Bubbletop to reproduce a post-war French P-47D-30-RE of the 3ème Esc de Chasse based at Trèves near Lyon in 1946.

 

It's an NMF aircraft with a black stripe along the fuselage and stripes on the wings, I'll be using Model Art decal sheet 72-042 although I'm going to have to paint the pesky stripes...   ...have to give that some thought :hmmm:

 

I'll post pictures at the weekend once I've got myself sorted out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Wez

Very good choice but be careful if you want to build a D-30 as they were equiped with dive recovery flaps under the wings you will need Quickboost conversion https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148443-quickboost-qb-72-260-p-47d-30-thunderbolt-wing-conversion

 

Cheers

Patrice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Wez

Very good choice but be careful if you want to build a D-30 as they were equiped with dive recovery flaps under the wings you will need Quickboost conversion https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148443-quickboost-qb-72-260-p-47d-30-thunderbolt-wing-conversion

 

Cheers

Patrice

 

Patrice,

 

I was planning on making those out of plastic card but thanks for the reminder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having finally got organised, here's the kit, decals, Eduard PE Zoom set and a Quickboost resin fin with extension...

 

P-47 kit etc

 

...and my references, minus the Squadron/Signal In-Action book.

 

P-47 Books

 

I've always been fascinated by the P-47 as you can probably tell!  My favourite book is the MBI book, very informative with a breakdown of differences by block which is very useful.

 

One thing about my chosen subject that is vexing me is that I can't find a photo of the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wez said:

Having finally got organised, here's the kit, decals, Eduard PE Zoom set and a Quickboost resin fin with extension...

 

...and my references, minus the Squadron/Signal In-Action book.

 

I've always been fascinated by the P-47 as you can probably tell!  My favourite book is the MBI book, very informative with a breakdown of differences by block which is very useful.

 

One thing about my chosen subject that is vexing me is that I can't find a photo of the subject.

What's the serial number of the aircraft you are doing, I'll have a look through my references?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

What's the serial number of the aircraft you are doing, I'll have a look through my references?

 

Thanks!  That's very kind!

 

Serial number is 433405 though as it's a -30RA I'm guessing that should be 44-33405?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wez said:

 

Thanks!  That's very kind!

 

Serial number is 433405 though as it's a -30RA I'm guessing that should be 44-33405?

I can't seem to find a pictures of that one - I've found several pictures of 401 and a couple of 404, but not 405. What other markings does 405 have, any code letters/numbers on the fuselage or nose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I can't seem to find a pictures of that one - I've found several pictures of 401 and a couple of 404, but not 405. What other markings does 405 have, any code letters/numbers on the fuselage or nose?

Here's a scan from the decal instruction sheet, the pennant on the fuselage and wing stripes are black, the 3ème badge on the cowling is a green 3 with an aircraft motif superimposed over the top of it.

 

Decal_instructions

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wez said:

Here's a scan from the decal instruction sheet, the pennant on the fuselage and wing stripes are black, the 3ème badge on the cowling is a green 3 with an aircraft motif superimposed over the top of it.

 

Decal_instructions

 

Wow that's a lot of black stripes, that'll keep you busy ;)

 

Anyway I found one picture of 405, it wasn't obvious as you can;'t see the serial number, but the black stripes and the nose badge match. I'm not at my PC at the moment so I'll send it over in the morning.

Edited by Tbolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Wow that's a lot of black stripes, that'll keep you busy ;)

 

Anyway I found one picture of 405, it wasn't obvious as you can;'t see the serial number, but the black stripes and the nose badge match. I'm not at my PC at the moment so I'll send it over in the morning.

 

It is occupying a bit of thinking time as to how I'm going to replicate those stripes I must confess!

 

Thanks for looking out that picture.

 

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I like that its quite the interesting scheme.

We all know about the wartime schemes on aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 but I find myself drawn to post-war schemes like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wez said:

We all know about the wartime schemes on aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 but I find myself drawn to post-war schemes like this.

 

I can understand why, that's really rather delicious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go. Click on it for a slightly larger version.

 

Not sure I agree with the instructions about the spinner being black ( maybe blue? ) and it doesn't look like the prop has yellow tips either. I also think the anti-glare might be black.

 

43478772442_26d13829b0_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NMF goes best over a gloss black undercoat, apparently. May I suggest painting it black (anyone else hear faint music?), masking the stripes, then spraying the metal colours. That's how I'd be trying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rob G said:

NMF goes best over a gloss black undercoat, apparently. May I suggest painting it black (anyone else hear faint music?), masking the stripes, then spraying the metal colours. That's how I'd be trying it.

 

That's probably how I would do it also. As for a black undercoat, that depends on what finish you are trying to get and also how much of your NMF you apply. But doing it this way would reduce the risk of pulling up the NMF, a problem I've had before with Alclad II ( maybe because it's quite old? ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob G said:

NMF goes best over a gloss black undercoat, apparently. May I suggest painting it black (anyone else hear faint music?), masking the stripes, then spraying the metal colours. That's how I'd be trying it.

 

That was pretty much the conclusion I'd come to.


 

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Not sure I agree with the instructions about the spinner being black ( maybe blue? ) and it doesn't look like the prop has yellow tips either. I also think the anti-glare might be black.

 

Tbolt,

 

Thanks for posting that picture, really useful, and is precisely why I wanted a photo of the beast.

 

I was wondering what stores to use and whether the wheels would have the covers fitted and the wing pylons the fairings.

 

I have to agree the spinner doesn't look black either, I was thinking red as that is pretty much de-rigeur on other French P-47's. 

 

I'm wondering whether the aft face of the blades had yellow tips, highly unlikely.  Definitely unusual to seem them without though as that would be factory finish.

 

Having spent a bit of time studying the photo I have to agree that the anti-glare panel looks black, OD can look pretty dark when fresh and clean but there really isn't any discernible contrast between the anti-glare panel and the prop blades or for that matter, the fuselage stripe.  I suspect the rear fuselage anti-glare to have been painted black.

 

Interesting to see the Fw-190 in the background.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wez said:

 

That was pretty much the conclusion I'd come to.


 

 

Tbolt,

 

Thanks for posting that picture, really useful, and is precisely why I wanted a photo of the beast.

 

I was wondering what stores to use and whether the wheels would have the covers fitted and the wing pylons the fairings.

 

I have to agree the spinner doesn't look black either, I was thinking red as that is pretty much de-rigeur on other French P-47's. 

 

I'm wondering whether the aft face of the blades had yellow tips, highly unlikely.  Definitely unusual to seem them without though as that would be factory finish.

 

Having spent a bit of time studying the photo I have to agree that the anti-glare panel looks black, OD can look pretty dark when fresh and clean but there really isn't any discernible contrast between the anti-glare panel and the prop blades or for that matter, the fuselage stripe.  I suspect the rear fuselage anti-glare to have been painted black.

 

Interesting to see the Fw-190 in the background.

 

 

 

I was thinking blue for the spinner by comparing it with the insignia under the wing where the red looks fairly dark, though this may be just the fact that it's in shade. Like you say red was quite common on spinners so is more likely.

 

The question is are the wheel covers also red?

Edited by Tbolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The question is are the wheel covers also red?

 

I hadn't considered that, I think not, they don't look dark enough, just silver in shadow maybe?  But then, red would look very attractive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wez said:

 

I hadn't considered that, I think not, they don't look dark enough, just silver in shadow maybe?  But then, red would look very attractive...

Well the wheel rim is NMF and the cover looks darker, so it's either dirty or painted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Well the wheel rim is NMF and the cover looks darker, so it's either dirty or painted.

 

:hmmm:...   ...red is tempting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Questions for the wise...

 

1.  Cockpit floor, corrugated in a D-25 but should it be in a D-30?

 

2.  Cockpit colour, if seen examples in interior green and a much greener, less olive dark green, which is correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D-30 had the smooth cockpit floor, which I think came in on the D-27 ( though it could have been on the D-26 ).

 

As for colour, the point at which the colours changed are not known, but for a D-30 I would go for dark dull green.

 

P47D01-vi.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks muchly Tbolt, that's confirmed my own thoughts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw from this GB (I’m withdrawing from all GB’s), we found some water on the floor of the basement which is where I do my modelling. 

  

We need to find where this water is coming from and put it right before autumn comes which means emptying the contents of the basement and potentially taking up the flooring.

Any modelling is now on hold until this is sorted, I’m gutted because I only get to do any modelling between June and the end of September.

 

If we get this sorted in good time I may re-join later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening Wez

 I am very sorry to read these very bad news and I really hope that you will sort this quickly..

 

Best regards

Patrice  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...