P-47D-30-RA 3ème Esc de Chasse Adl'A 1946

Wez

As I'm back from my holidays I suppose I'd better register my entry for this GB.

My plan is to use Tamiya's 1/72nd Bubbletop to reproduce a post-war French P-47D-30-RE of the 3ème Esc de Chasse based at Trèves near Lyon in 1946.

It's an NMF aircraft with a black stripe along the fuselage and stripes on the wings, I'll be using Model Art decal sheet 72-042 although I'm going to have to paint the pesky stripes...   ...have to give that some thought :hmmm:

I'll post pictures at the weekend once I've got myself sorted out.

• Like 6

Good morning Wez

Very good choice but be careful if you want to build a D-30 as they were equiped with dive recovery flaps under the wings you will need Quickboost conversion https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148443-quickboost-qb-72-260-p-47d-30-thunderbolt-wing-conversion

Cheers

Patrice

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Wez

Very good choice but be careful if you want to build a D-30 as they were equiped with dive recovery flaps under the wings you will need Quickboost conversion https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148443-quickboost-qb-72-260-p-47d-30-thunderbolt-wing-conversion

Cheers

Patrice

Patrice,

I was planning on making those out of plastic card but thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having finally got organised, here's the kit, decals, Eduard PE Zoom set and a Quickboost resin fin with extension...

P-47 kit etc

...and my references, minus the Squadron/Signal In-Action book.

P-47 Books

I've always been fascinated by the P-47 as you can probably tell!  My favourite book is the MBI book, very informative with a breakdown of differences by block which is very useful.

One thing about my chosen subject that is vexing me is that I can't find a photo of the subject.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Having finally got organised, here's the kit, decals, Eduard PE Zoom set and a Quickboost resin fin with extension...

...and my references, minus the Squadron/Signal In-Action book.

I've always been fascinated by the P-47 as you can probably tell!  My favourite book is the MBI book, very informative with a breakdown of differences by block which is very useful.

One thing about my chosen subject that is vexing me is that I can't find a photo of the subject.

What's the serial number of the aircraft you are doing, I'll have a look through my references?

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

What's the serial number of the aircraft you are doing, I'll have a look through my references?

Thanks!  That's very kind!

Serial number is 433405 though as it's a -30RA I'm guessing that should be 44-33405?

30 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks!  That's very kind!

Serial number is 433405 though as it's a -30RA I'm guessing that should be 44-33405?

I can't seem to find a pictures of that one - I've found several pictures of 401 and a couple of 404, but not 405. What other markings does 405 have, any code letters/numbers on the fuselage or nose?

16 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I can't seem to find a pictures of that one - I've found several pictures of 401 and a couple of 404, but not 405. What other markings does 405 have, any code letters/numbers on the fuselage or nose?

Here's a scan from the decal instruction sheet, the pennant on the fuselage and wing stripes are black, the 3ème badge on the cowling is a green 3 with an aircraft motif superimposed over the top of it.

Decal_instructions

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

Here's a scan from the decal instruction sheet, the pennant on the fuselage and wing stripes are black, the 3ème badge on the cowling is a green 3 with an aircraft motif superimposed over the top of it.

Decal_instructions

Wow that's a lot of black stripes, that'll keep you busy ;)

Anyway I found one picture of 405, it wasn't obvious as you can;'t see the serial number, but the black stripes and the nose badge match. I'm not at my PC at the moment so I'll send it over in the morning.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Wow that's a lot of black stripes, that'll keep you busy ;)

Anyway I found one picture of 405, it wasn't obvious as you can;'t see the serial number, but the black stripes and the nose badge match. I'm not at my PC at the moment so I'll send it over in the morning.

It is occupying a bit of thinking time as to how I'm going to replicate those stripes I must confess!

Thanks for looking out that picture.

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I like that its quite the interesting scheme.

We all know about the wartime schemes on aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 but I find myself drawn to post-war schemes like this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wez said:

We all know about the wartime schemes on aircraft like the P-47 and P-51 but I find myself drawn to post-war schemes like this.

I can understand why, that's really rather delicious

Here you go. Click on it for a slightly larger version.

Not sure I agree with the instructions about the spinner being black ( maybe blue? ) and it doesn't look like the prop has yellow tips either. I also think the anti-glare might be black.

43478772442_26d13829b0_o.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

NMF goes best over a gloss black undercoat, apparently. May I suggest painting it black (anyone else hear faint music?), masking the stripes, then spraying the metal colours. That's how I'd be trying it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob G said:

NMF goes best over a gloss black undercoat, apparently. May I suggest painting it black (anyone else hear faint music?), masking the stripes, then spraying the metal colours. That's how I'd be trying it.

That's probably how I would do it also. As for a black undercoat, that depends on what finish you are trying to get and also how much of your NMF you apply. But doing it this way would reduce the risk of pulling up the NMF, a problem I've had before with Alclad II ( maybe because it's quite old? ).

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

That was pretty much the conclusion I'd come to.

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Not sure I agree with the instructions about the spinner being black ( maybe blue? ) and it doesn't look like the prop has yellow tips either. I also think the anti-glare might be black.

Tbolt,

Thanks for posting that picture, really useful, and is precisely why I wanted a photo of the beast.

I was wondering what stores to use and whether the wheels would have the covers fitted and the wing pylons the fairings.

I have to agree the spinner doesn't look black either, I was thinking red as that is pretty much de-rigeur on other French P-47's. 

I'm wondering whether the aft face of the blades had yellow tips, highly unlikely.  Definitely unusual to seem them without though as that would be factory finish.

Having spent a bit of time studying the photo I have to agree that the anti-glare panel looks black, OD can look pretty dark when fresh and clean but there really isn't any discernible contrast between the anti-glare panel and the prop blades or for that matter, the fuselage stripe.  I suspect the rear fuselage anti-glare to have been painted black.

Interesting to see the Fw-190 in the background.

5 minutes ago, Wez said:

That was pretty much the conclusion I'd come to.

Tbolt,

Thanks for posting that picture, really useful, and is precisely why I wanted a photo of the beast.

I was wondering what stores to use and whether the wheels would have the covers fitted and the wing pylons the fairings.

I have to agree the spinner doesn't look black either, I was thinking red as that is pretty much de-rigeur on other French P-47's. 

I'm wondering whether the aft face of the blades had yellow tips, highly unlikely.  Definitely unusual to seem them without though as that would be factory finish.

Having spent a bit of time studying the photo I have to agree that the anti-glare panel looks black, OD can look pretty dark when fresh and clean but there really isn't any discernible contrast between the anti-glare panel and the prop blades or for that matter, the fuselage stripe.  I suspect the rear fuselage anti-glare to have been painted black.

Interesting to see the Fw-190 in the background.

I was thinking blue for the spinner by comparing it with the insignia under the wing where the red looks fairly dark, though this may be just the fact that it's in shade. Like you say red was quite common on spinners so is more likely.

The question is are the wheel covers also red?

Edited by Tbolt

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The question is are the wheel covers also red?

I hadn't considered that, I think not, they don't look dark enough, just silver in shadow maybe?  But then, red would look very attractive...

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

I hadn't considered that, I think not, they don't look dark enough, just silver in shadow maybe?  But then, red would look very attractive...

Well the wheel rim is NMF and the cover looks darker, so it's either dirty or painted.

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Well the wheel rim is NMF and the cover looks darker, so it's either dirty or painted.

:hmmm:...   ...red is tempting...

• Like 1

Questions for the wise...

1.  Cockpit floor, corrugated in a D-25 but should it be in a D-30?

2.  Cockpit colour, if seen examples in interior green and a much greener, less olive dark green, which is correct?

• Like 1

The D-30 had the smooth cockpit floor, which I think came in on the D-27 ( though it could have been on the D-26 ).

As for colour, the point at which the colours changed are not known, but for a D-30 I would go for dark dull green.

P47D01-vi.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw from this GB (I’m withdrawing from all GB’s), we found some water on the floor of the basement which is where I do my modelling. 

We need to find where this water is coming from and put it right before autumn comes which means emptying the contents of the basement and potentially taking up the flooring.

Any modelling is now on hold until this is sorted, I’m gutted because I only get to do any modelling between June and the end of September.

If we get this sorted in good time I may re-join later.

• Sad 1