As a change from the endless Napoleonics, I seem to be painting, I painted up these chaps for a new came to my club, Pikemans' Lament.

IMGP6896

First up are some Heavy cavalry, these are Empress miniatures and are lovely castings.

IMGP6897

Next are the Dragoons, which are Warlord Miniatures, and a mix of plastic horses and metal chaps

IMGP6898

Another chunk of stout Dragoons

IMGP6899

The bases are temporary, as I haven't yet decided the best way to bunch them together. The Dragoons feel wrong but that is what the rules suggest.

I have two more units of Dragoons to finish and a group of Commanded Shot to base.

Thanks for looking

• Like 3

Low your Cavary and Dragoones. Although the Heavy Cavalry are more like regular cavalry during the English Civil War.  

Heavy cavalry were Curasiers who wore 3/4 armour of which there were only a couple of regiments during the civil war (Haslerigs, Essex Life guard and I think maybe the Kings Lifeguard but I can't remember for sure).  3/4 armour fell out of favour due to the weight needed to make it pistol proof and the quality of horse required for the riders.  

The lighter armoured cavalry would have been equipped with a buff coat (about 1/4 inch thick leather) and the back and breast set (possible a gorget and bridle gauntlet) and would be armed with a pair of pistols (in some cases a carbine).  Both sides would have dressed the same which was why field signs and passwords became so important...

37059366463_96736f85bf_b.jpg

Dragoons were mounted infantry who would ride to battle and dismount to fight.  There is no indication that they were equipped any differently than ordinary infantry.

Hope this helps...

• Like 1

Thanks for the picture.

I'm using my back and breast plate chaps as Cromwell Ironsides and the Dragoons as Okeys. chaps.

Of course missing from the line up is a pike block, so I know what's next on my purchase list. The joy of the rule set is that you don't need loads of figures, the whole army will be 18 cavalry, and twelve Infantry as a basic force. I'll probably buy a few extra figures to give some flexibility but even so it will involve no more than another 18 infantry. A bit of a change from the 1035 Frenchmen in my 1815 French army.......

Remember that a foote regiment was made up of approx 2/3 Musket and 1/3 Pike.  As the civil war wore on this became more heavily tilted towards shotte.  So really your infantry regiment should be 8/4 in terms of shot to pike.

Going back to Okeys Dragooners.  Couple of boring facts..  

The Naseby campaign is the only campaign where the whole regiment served together.  They took a very important role in breaking up Prince Rupert cavalry being hidden behind Sulby hedge on the flank of the battle.

Near the end of Naseby battle the Dragoons mounted and acted like cavalry attacking the Royalist infantry alongside Cromwells Cavalry.  The fact that this was mentioned suggests in itself that it was unusual.

Major Tobias Bridge of Okeys Dragoones commanded the Dragoones in the West Indies and Bridgetown Jamaica is named after him..

HTH..

Cheers Grey Beema. I was aware of the ratio, but the game is a skirmish so I don't need to represent whole regiments just a raiding party or a reconnaissance force.

I didn't know the background to Okey and his dragoons,, nor the derivation of Bridgetown.

I think that should be Bridgetown, Barbados but interesting history all the same. 

They look great little figures and very well painted. I've also got a soft spot for TYW/ECW figures but mine are a bit flatter, I'll post some pics in a separate thread later.

I believe that to Barbados someone around that time was to exile them to that island and use them as slave labour, irrespective of colour or creed, very much like what happened a century plus later with criminals being sent to Australia.

23 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I believe that to Barbados someone around that time was to exile them to that island and use them as slave labour, irrespective of colour or creed, very much like what happened a century plus later with criminals being sent to Australia.

Tobacco Island, Flogging Molly.

All to hell we must sail
For the Shores of sweet Barbados
Where the sugar cane grows taller
Than the god we once believed in
Till the butcher and his crown
Raped the land we used to sleep in
Now tomorrow chimes of ghostly crimes
That haunt Tobacco Island

'Twas 1659 forgotten now for sure
They dragged us from our homeland
With the musket and their gun
Cromwell and his roundheads
Battered all we know
Shackled hopes of freedom
We're now but stolen goods
Darken the horizon
Blackened from the sun
This rotten cage of Bridgetown
Is where I now belong

All to hell we must sail
For the Shores of sweet Barbados
Where the sugar cane grows taller
Than the god we once believed in
Till the butcher and his crown
Raped the land we used to sleep in
Now tomorrow…

• Like 2

Jim,

I have am sure I have seen these figures for sale at a wargames show and if that is correct then they are very nice indeed. I did consider doing a Border Revier force for the game and I may still.

My family roots on both sides are in the Borders though the link is vey tenuous.

• Thanks 1