The Moosejawed bomber, AW Whitley Mk V

I've been watching this without comment for some time now but have decided to speak up. I don't usually build 1/72 multi-engined aircraft these days, but having seen this and some other recent Airfix offerings I am tempted to start again and hang them from the ceiling!

Keep up the good work.

John

• Like 1

Thanks for dropping by John!

Airfix multi-engine kits are terrific, treat yourself.

Today I learned two things.

1. Do not sand putty without covering up all holes into the cockpit.
  2. Do not try to pry of the cockpit glazing when you try do get rid of the dust from #1.

38211819_10209318233391536_2345735434258

Which means that I cracked the canopy.

Well, there is a spare one included with an astrodome.

Problem solved!

And I'm supposed to use that one anyway!

Silly me that didn't read the instructions properly.

That saved me the expanse to order new decals from Hannants :)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72044

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Christer A said:

Time to have a go at the Montex masks then.
43690289222_3b5dd6f064_o.jpg
It does work, but a lot more stiff than the Eduard masks, or regular tamiya tape.

Let's get it on!

Use a hair dryer to heat up the masks and they will lay down nice.

IMG_1238_zpsswqcrcf2.jpgIMG_1242_zpseahk7jyk.jpg

I would also suggest first spraying on some clear-coat before spraying them with the desired color so as to seal things to prevent any bleed through. I usually use a Matt

This is really coming together nicely, good thing about the spare canopy. Just another case of when mucking things up brings a better result :)

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205211877

I found a picture of N1380 which I intend to make, since a all black aircraft looks a little boring.

However, I'm not 100% sure if there is an astrodome there or not...

Any ideas?

Perhaps paging @Troy Smith

Edited by Christer A

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks for dropping by John!

Airfix multi-engine kits are terrific, treat yourself.

Today I learned two things.

1. Do not sand putty without covering up all holes into the cockpit.
  2. Do not try to pry of the cockpit glazing when you try do get rid of the dust from #1.

38211819_10209318233391536_2345735434258

Which means that I cracked the canopy.

Well, there is a spare one included with an astrodome.

Problem solved!

And I'm supposed to use that one anyway!

Silly me that didn't read the instructions properly.

That saved me the expanse to order new decals from Hannants :)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72044

Someone has a golden horseshoe strategically place in a certain anatomic crevice!

Chris

Flaps.

Deployed or not....

Ok, on the Lancaster the flaps are brought up as soon as we land. It kills the lift from the wing and makes sure the tail sits down properly to control the landing.

On shutdown, we move the flaps to check the hydraulics and deplete hydraulic pressure. Now I don't know the Whitley systems, but I'll bet they're not much different. Which I reckon means 'put the flaps where you want to, you can justify it either way'!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Someone has a golden horseshoe strategically place in a certain anatomic crevice!

Chris

If only...

It looks kind of like there was no astrodome on N1380.

Bah!

Well, let's see if I can find some generic code letters instead to make Z6743 that actually had an astrodome.

10 hours ago, isaneng said:

Flaps.

Deployed or not....

Ok, on the Lancaster the flaps are brought up as soon as we land. It kills the lift from the wing and makes sure the tail sits down properly to control the landing.

On shutdown, we move the flaps to check the hydraulics and deplete hydraulic pressure. Now I don't know the Whitley systems, but I'll bet they're not much different. Which I reckon means 'put the flaps where you want to, you can justify it either way'!!

When you say "we" does that actually mean that you fly real Lancasters!?!?🤩

Good info about the flaps in either case though!

48 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Allright, I caved in and ordered those DK Decals from Hannants...

I wonder if that means I need 14 more Whitleys?

Christer, I'm not sure if it's too late for you to cancel the order or if you don't mind waiting till I get home 10th August but I have that sheet and only intend on using the 58 Sqn. decals. I would be happy to send you the ones you need.

Roger.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Christer, I'm not sure if it's too late for you to cancel the order or if you don't mind waiting till I get home 10th August but I have that sheet and only intend on using the 58 Sqn. decals. I would be happy to send you the ones you need.

Roger.

Roger, I'll contact Hannants right away to see if a cancellation is still possible.

It's currently being packed but we'll see if the cancellation works or not, I'll uppdaterad again once I know what Hannants say.

54 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Roger, I'll contact Hannants right away to see if a cancellation is still possible.

It's currently being packed but we'll see if the cancellation works or not, I'll uppdaterad again once I know what Hannants say.

Good luck.👍

2 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Wow!

Even though the order was being packed, they still had the possibility to cancel the order.

Roger, I'lls send you a PM with what I need.

Great!

We must have been typing at the same time. Let me know what you need. 

• Thanks 1

After looking through all the Whitley pictures on the IWM website, I would say it's flaps up while sitting on the ground. I'm quite sure that was standard procedure with the RAF.

Chris

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

After looking through all the Whitley pictures on the IWM website, I would say it's flaps up while sitting on the ground. I'm quite sure that was standard procedure with the RAF.

Chris

Flaps up fore sure are standard procedure, and so are closed bomb bays unless reloadingis in progress.

There might still be flaps up, since the primer showed a few issues that'll be hard to deal with.

Speaking of primer...

43082654304_b3054c1fd1_o.jpg

First coat is on, and so far so good!

Let's ave a go with the Montex masks then.

29929366198_b2975f73e2_o.jpg

A bit easier to handle than Eduard, but the fit of a few were less than bad so I had to make my own. No big deal really.

If the Eduard mask set had included all tiny windowmasks I'd go for theirs instead, but they don't so....

A quick blast of interior grey green showed a few things to consider.

43082654114_ff9f761084_o.jpg

Yes, there fit of the glazed front part isn't stellar.

Look at all the filer I've been forced to use!

29929366078_ab9fa12241_o.jpg

😁

• Like 6

Right, so there is still some time left on the vacation.

The tiny gaps was amended, and then I starte laying down a funky (german) preshade

41998397420_34cc490120_o.jpg

I figure that black, yellow and red will make a solid foundation for Dark Earth. We shall see.

One coat of Gunze Dark Earth later

42903911505_3a9e8be57b_o.jpg

Yep, that's start atleast.

Time to take it down a notch, or two.

29937661908_d0be5d135c_o.jpg

Or maye three and four 🙄 

As usual when I preshade I seem to overdo the top layer...

Well, it is still possibe to see, just a lot more subtle...

29937661508_26724fb5d6_o.jpg

A hard time to capture it on camera though!

If I don't like it in the morning, Im sure that further postshading will do the trick.7

Time to lett the loss coat harden, so that I can mask and spray dark green tomorrow.

• Like 9

resized_de502e76-601e-4ad5-968e-65cbd5ab

We always raise the flaps before switching off the engines and climbing out so that they do not get damaged by someone walking or driving into them ................

Superb progress so far on your ' Vacation Bomber '  Christer, but when are you going to attach the four legs .................

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

Right, the general consensus here is flaps up, something which I knew in the back of my head all along.

Adey, legs have been painted now, just awating a little shoe polish on the hooves, then they're complete.

Currently I'm doing all masks needed for the dark green. Expect some new pictures later tonight.

• Haha 1

Thanks Adrian!

I always aim for slightly noticable preshade instead of immidiate noticable, or maybe it's my lack of understanding when to back off from painting just a liiittle bit more...

Anyway, on my last official vacation day, I was still productive!

Maskin over Dark Earth was completed

43776433602_b7476a0895_o.jpg
(Yes, I know about sharp edges on british aircraft. I should've done the cumbersome way of cutitting the masks on the tape instead, buttis was a lot quicker. I'll promise to do better next time!)
Some preshade again?
28888448977_c845b19a9a_o.jpg

I took a gamble that blue and yellow would make an interesting foundation.

After that, Gunze H330 Dark Green hit all surfaces, and a quick squirt of Aqua cleer to seal it all.
43776433122_2499c6409d_o.jpg
As before, it's hard to capture with my lack of photographic skills...

Maybe if I try without the flash?
28888448837_dd5db77c37_o.jpg
Close up
43776432662_7be195e339_o.jpg
A flat coat and further weathering should make it all more harmonized I guess.

I also found a picture of Z6743
img028.jpg

The DF loop antenna looks intersting.

I guess it's a yellow stripe with a black rear body?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks!

After looking over the wings once more it seems that the green areas in the right wing is a bit too narrow. Haven't decided if I'm going to fix that or not.

I would say that you need to be more generous with the green Christer. There appears to have been two versions of camouflage pattern applied to Whitleys in the factory. The pattern on every Whitley in a particular scheme would be identical.

Regards,adey

• Like 1