The Moosejawed bomber, AW Whitley Mk V

It is known that I probably have the worst self control on this side of @corsaircorp but this is actually @Roger Newsome s fault.

I was looking at his Whitley build thread when it dawned upon me that this bomber should not been named for a suburb in Coventry, it should have been named after the king of the woods, the moose!

After all, someone must have taken a close look on the muzzle of the moose when designing the nose of the Whitley.

spot the difference?

680.jpg

whitley_K7208.jpg

Atleast I cannot unsee it anymore 😵

But I digress...

Vacation is getting closer by the minute, and the need to start another summer kit grows equally fast or even faster.

Yesterday I couldn't stop myself anymore, I just HAD to cut some plastic and stick a few bits together, and whoops, another kit was started. 

But who's counting?

Anyway, I started with the wings since I'm still waiting for some Eduard Etch to complicate the office a bit.

After a happy evening snipping plastic and shoot some primer I arrived here.

42297318415_fb6b0db6b1_o.jpg

43151710282_dee4e39f82_o.jpg

Very novel approach to the rear fuselage I'd say (it was called corridor, right?)

Can't wait to shoot some grey-green on it and see how it looks...

The engine nacelles was both tricky and great at the same time, but that's typical of moderin Airfix IMHO.

41391024800_9f1dc24cc3_o.jpg

There's a nasty ejector pin mark on the firewall and I didn't take the time to fix it since my judgement is that it'll be impossible to see!

Right, lets try to work for a few more hours before heading home to start spraying.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

:rofl2::rofl2:

Was'nt there, did'nt do it :bandit:

Come on Guys have fun in starting models !! Even FM ones !!

Now you gonna induce me in looking for a 1/48 Whitley…. And a Wildebeest !

Sincerely.

CC :drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the cheers guys!

Summer is indeed upon us, and everything has turned green:
29350301858_c933731d03_o.jpg

Well, interior grey/green courtesy of Xtracrylix then...and due a very long period (with Swedish standards atleast) och high heat and no rain everything has turned yellow instead.

I wonder what the function of the small holes in the corridor serves?
Are the crew expected to hang their coats there? Is it a Wailing Wall?

I have no idea...
The corridor will recieve some aqua gloss tonight and will then be subjected to weathering before the windows are installed.

It's kind of funny with a loose roof like this, but once one sees all the small roof windows the purpose becomes clear.

Let's leave the corridor for a while and focus on the rather massive wing:
42502963094_28036b1a8c_o.jpg
Those wing spars are really high, but gives great support for the 36cm wide wing. Off course, the cord and depth of the wing is anything but slim!
Note to self, don't forget to add those windows...

Lets flip it over and see how it looks from the other side.
29350300948_2d3e367bdd_o.jpg

Lots of pretty details to add to the gear bays. I reckon it's hard to paint it all with the top wing in place, so I took a gamble and added the framework first. Hopefully it wont break of due to clumsy handling. 😇

Fit is generally good as long as you keep to the modern Airfix standards of avoiding paint on mating surfaces and also religiously removes all traces of mold separation lines. 
29350301478_55b733a51f_o.jpg
The framework is surprisingly sturdy though. In the front end it attaches to the engine firewall, and it's also secured to the roof of the gear bay in the top wing. One could almost believe that it's supposed to hold the main landing gear, but no, that's not the case. MLG attaches in to soeckets on the wing spar instead which should lead to a very sturdy installation. Good!
42502962274_24de36d026_o.jpg
Then I just shot a few drops of ultimate black primer (gloss) in preparation for metallic paint this afternoon.

After looking at a few build threads here and there on this site I found a trap that was taken care of.
42502962744_36053b3b17_o.jpg
The fit between engine nacelle and the wing leaves something to be desired, but with a slight carving of the raised rib it improves a lot!

The lip is sort of visible in the gear bay though but only if you're using endoscopy , and that is not allowed to be used at any model contests that I've participated in. Lucky that!
Let's leave that instrument to medical proffesionals.

Another tricky thing regarding the engines:

42502962554_99169e2629_o.jpg
Airfix would like you to assemble the radiators after the nacelle halves has been joined which is slightly awkward. On the flip side it is possible to smooth the lower part of the duct before wiggling the radiators in place.

If assembling them before it will lead to a tricky join to smooth I guess?
Everything should also be painted night but I guess the radiators are a dark metallic shade instead, since paint will hinder their efficiency.

Plenty of things to ponder with the engine nacelles overall.

Now I just need to survive at work for a few more hours, then the vacation starts!

• Like 15

Reinforcements have arrived!
41467906530_b711531df2_o.jpg
I haven't done any proper testing of Montex mask before, so this will be interesting. They mask more windows than Eduard (the frgot a few), also includes masks for insignia and letters and cost a little less.

What could possibly go wrong?

We'll see, no doubt!

I started with another dreadful task, Gun turrets! Bombers are usually filled with them, and it's an unholy combination of clear plastic, tiny windows, masking all over the place and tiny details. A real mojo-killer.
43228662262_d60f871c2b_o.jpg

Airfix provides quite a few things to make it look busy, and in this small scale that'll probably be good enough for me. I was toying with the idea to run some ammo bults to the lower boxes but I chickened out pf it.
41467906050_c99771dd98_o.jpg
But I did replace the four plastic Brownings with some exquisite brass items instead. Just cut the original off, drill a few holes and secure the new ones with CA-glue.

Hey presto!
Unfortunately, no Vicker K was found, so the front turret will look a little more boring, but with just one single peashooter I guess it was quite boring to start with.
41467905830_647b07762d_o.jpg
A first coat of paint done, and there will be drybrushes and washes tomorrow.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I haven't done any proper testing of Montex mask before, so this will be interesting. They mask more windows than Eduard (the frgot a few), also includes masks for insignia and letters and cost a little less.

What could possibly go wrong?

They are vinyl, and whilst the sets I've used are a good fit they are very prone to lifting on compound curves- especially when a coat of paint has already been applied over them. So be really careful when you apply them on the turrets!

Will

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads-up Will!

I've also got the tip that slighlty heating the masks with a hairdryer could help them to conform better.

I plan to paint the turrets first, to evaulate the masks performance, and also not let them sit for too long (as I usually do) so that the risk for leaving residue lessens.

• Like 1

Wow ! Pretty good turret Christer !

I will have a look in my docs and stock... Just remember about K-guns...

I don't remember the brand, I bought some 1/48 ones for my Shagbat but there was 1/72 ones too...

Please, Don't talk of the Whitley to @BS103... He will have some weird envy too....

You did great my friend, I will have a look for the K-guns.

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

The turrets have been resting for a while, sans masking just to be on the safe side.

Instead, I've been focusing on finishing the corridor.

42631088874_97c2c8dc59_o.jpg

After a simple wash and some dry brushing I decided that it was enough, after all almost nothing can be seen anyway...

42631089024_81c6b6afca_o.jpg

As others have noted, the guiding tab for the stabilizer is a bit underdeveloped, which can give lots of flexibility when trying to attach them.

42631088724_906897da86_o.jpg

A few strips of plastic sorted out that, and then we arrived at the magnificient rear end all done.

29513714398_fcf521888f_o.jpg

Gigantic stabilizer, fins that look like an afterthought and those bracers? Yes, this is early 30:s design all right!

Bonus question:

Should the flaps be deployed or not?

43335786072_6fd674694a_o.jpg

Yes, RAF wasn't very keen to have them hanging loose and allt that jazz about raising them as soon as the wheels touched the ground or the crew needs to pay the beers on the mess hall that night, but as I intend to display the bomb bay doors open, I could probably get away with dropped flaps too.

What do you think?

• Like 5

Extra update!

Remember this?

42691188104_fb43b6995e_o.jpg

After painting the radiators and the assorted duct with Tamiya NATO Black (which will be my starting point for the Night paintjob), the radiator fronts were wriggled into place.

Surprisingly,this worked quite well, which means that the Airfix instructions were correct, again.

Then I started with another favourite activity:

Hot Clamping Action!

29537342698_97dd2551d6_o.jpg

Some sainding here and there gave a quite decend fit.

How decent we'll no doubt see once the primer goes on...

29537342388_b162184863_o.jpg

All in a good days work!

I also managed to bike 78km around the countryside in slightly less than 3 hours so the day was even better for it!

• Like 8

Hello Christer !

Hey take care my friend !!

I know too well these conditions... My bike is hanging in the shed, collecting spiderwebs for years :rofl2:

Luckily, I'm not allergic to plastic and modelling is better for my already torn heart...

As long as you beer at SMW, you can drop the flaps :evil_laugh:

Pretty good job on your moose.. Look great !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks for the cheers!

After a quite long vacation to Berlin, I'm getting ready to start modelling again.

37411824_10209254232471553_3235693692106

Unless I get the urge to restart a BF110 again off course!

More pictures from Deusche Technische Musee to follow soonish.

• Like 2

I had a go with the cockpit yesterday!
42898668214_0aababa92d_o.jpg
Quite a lot of plastic that's supposed to go into the front...
Trim wheels and throttles will be enhanced with etch.
43568487882_c8e444470a_o.jpg
29746063348_9584c6375b_o.jpg
Tricky stuff! Since the bracket for the wheels have a larger gap then the thickness of the wheels, I decided to add some tiny shims. No need to have them to be round, since they can't be seen in the end.

I also made a start with the instrument panel
43568487662_5750323d5a_o.jpg
Compared to the airfix offering, this includes the compass, but other than that I don't think it's that much more detailed.

Some levers for the navigator/bomb aimer, all paimted with UMP black primer.
29746063058_6037a2a280_o.jpg
The forward bomb bay is supposed to be black, so that was also masked off.
43568487432_6845611551_o.jpg
Tinkering with belts.
29746062288_03ef3c1346_o.jpg
Nice comfy chair for the pilot, swivelling set for the navigator and a stool for the radio officer? The gunners were forced to half sit´half stand.

I guess equality wasn't a thing in Bomber Command...

Today I hope to merge all this into one unit:
28728762147_b665660e50_o.jpg
And maybe some light weathering...

• Like 7

Thanks Håkan!

The already thin hair on my scalp was subjected to another torment yesterday.

Tiny tiny etched control leavers are supposed to be attached to the throttle quadrant somehow.
43666884181_500f94bb32_o.jpg
Two pinged away to who knows where, but in the end I got enough of them to make a decent throttle and with that, I was finished with the cockpit.
43666883941_b5fcaf6680_o.jpg
Finally!

There was some contraption on the Eduard fret that's supposed to go into the front gunners position but the most prominant part was lost when it fell from the table into my lap and was never seen again.

Nothing to do about that, so I just squezeed it all together and mated it to the wing.
43620695682_14401bb2a0_o.jpg
Now let's see if one can wrestle the rear fuselage in place too!

• Like 9

Time for another update in the current heatwave.

Ok, so I'm swedish and more used to +9ºC, but I do manage to make some progress in this little machine. Or not so little really...

Let's see how the rear fuselage fits onto the wing and front fuselage.
43690289812_a5e8ded162_o.jpg
Definitely a bit too draughty.

Well, I could always glue it together anyway, and fill with putty, and sand, fill and sand some more.

But I rather not actually.

Since nothing can be seen in the rear fuselga unless using some fancy endoscopy, and I can't really see that happening 😎

I started to fettle with bits of sprue to force the fuselage out a little bit.

29867233418_5bb164f4f5_o.jpg
Tadaa:
42834050965_d35e682af2_o.jpg
It looks like no putty will be needed here then - mission accomplished!

Let's add some windows to the front part then
43022069344_fffec4d8e0_o.jpg

It seams that it's still possible to push the front turret in position, which should make painting and masking easier, or so I hope.

Time to have a go at the Montex masks then.
43690289222_3b5dd6f064_o.jpg
It does work, but a lot more stiff than the Eduard masks, or regular tamiya tape.

Let's get it on!

• Like 11