Sea Knight

About to start the Academy 1:48 HH-46 - It'll be a USMC SAR machine from Kaneohe Bay using the kit decals and the Eduard kit-specific 'Zoom Set'.

pINeKje.jpg

yJfVaJw.jpg

Been a while since I posted a build project here on Britmodeller, hope you can make time to follow along. Stay tuned because the first progress pics should be up tomorrow.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 10

Cabin started:

MQPiMPY.jpg

BefY3rb.jpg

EBcwpcJ.jpg

ZupZCBT.jpg

Next I'll add the forty-odd decals to the cabin sides, paint & weather the 'deck' and start building-up the casualty litters. If you look closely at the last two photos you'l see the myriad of holes to open in the fuselage sides dependent upon which version of the basic H-46 tou're building.

More over the weekend, hopefully.

Ian.

• Like 9

Slow progress because it's 'winter break' here and I have 'Daddies Little Stormtroopers' at home last week and next... No matter still managed to grab some time in 'The Cave':

kPgRP7t.jpg

5kGQdG3.jpg

H4KPRVa.jpg

1mNBYIK.jpg

vKS54BO.jpg

So as you can see, the fifty-odd stencils have been applied to the cabin walls and I've finished all the detail painting and weathering - not that you'll be able to see too much. The casualty litters are all glued in to place and the cabin floor is now the correct matt gun-metal shade. I'm going to add some dust effects here too, thicker near the rear ramp and right side door then thinning out - again you won't really see the result but I know it's there !!

Thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment, more as soon as I can.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 8

Hello Ian,

Your Sea Knight is looking pretty good !

The Academy look like a good kit, Will surely find one someday !

Great job !👍

I'll follow the thread !

sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Thanks 1

First and last time y'all will see the IP, hopefully closing-up the fuselage halves tomorrow if I can squeeze some time in the Cave:

eQQ4PAS.jpg

xlHxl84.jpg

43c9kDk.jpg

Thanks for all the interest so far, really appreciate it as always.

Ian.

• Like 12

Fuselage closed-up and filled / sanded. Rear 'dog house' not yet glued in to place, placed just for the photo:

7nWh2PM.jpg

yCixvT5.jpg

PnsiCG6.jpg

More soon.

Ian.

• Like 5

On 7/17/2018 at 2:08 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s looking superb!

Hi Crisp, the Swedes had them for ASW work, you'll have to get one...

Colin

• Haha 1

Thanks folks, was hoping to get the first (grey) primer on today but that didn't happen. Busy weekend for me, so may not get any cave-time.  More as soon as I can.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

I am liking this so much that I can feel another purchase coming on. I fancy a Canadian cab.

Martian 👽

8 hours ago, shark 64 said:

well, thats a great start. Is the white tail aftermarket? If only they could do this helo in 1/35 scale.

No it's prep for the International Orange I'll be spraying later this week.

Ian.

Edited by Ian

I know this is a modelling site but for a minute I'm going to be just a little philosophical. 

In the late 1970's I read a piece in the (UK) Custom Car magazine and a phrase has stuck with me ever since then. The journalist was talking about the builder of a particular project and said this: 

"Jeff is one of those blokes who resists the temptation to pull-in at 'that'll do' and drives right past until he reaches 'no, that's right' "

I am now 55yo, and I know that most of the kits that reach my workbench nowadays will almost certainly be the last one of that type that I'll be able to finish, therefore, like 'Jeff' I'm going to try my d*mndest to do each one 'right'. To that end all that lovely smooth primer has been rubbed back because of that terrible 'step' between the main transparency and the fuselage and the [barely visible] hint of a fuselage join along the spine, front of the forward 'dog house' and under the fuselage.  

evNpVdi.jpg

g7VC25y.jpg

Gnvatnr.jpg

I'm so glad I took the time and trouble to do that, and the end-result will be so much better. If you're wondering about the 'orange' panel lines, experience has taught me that when applying a bright orange (or yellow) over white you often get 'light' panel lines where the undercoat just bleeds through, so it's a 'hack' to prevent this happening here.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment. Please feel free to ask any q's aswell.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 5