Holiday quick build - Airfix 1:72 Shorts Tucano T1

I’ve been in the modelling doldrums recently due to a variety of reasons. I have a few weeks of extended leave so to get things going I thought a quick build would help. I dug this one out of the stash.

28299239887_9080cd2dd2_b.jpg

Fairly straight forward paint job 😁

Sprue shot:

42264501815_7b023069a4_b.jpg

Old style “square” sprues, so I am guessing this is a relatively old kit. Not much flash though.

Busy decal sheet:

28299239677_42d19e4581_b.jpg

I am going to do one of the black options.

28299239847_2302606870_b.jpg

Ok, to work. Nothing fancy, just a quick build out of the box. First the cockpit, which went together quickly. The seats were a tight squeeze. Just some painted Tamiya tape for seatbelts. Didn’t spend too much time on the cockpit, the canopy is pretty thick and distorting.

41401047700_2689cdec80_b.jpg

I gather this one is a real tail sitter, so I stuffed the front with as many lead fishing weights as I could.

41401047560_77d5b12aa2_b.jpg

Then in almost no time at all I was glueing the fuselage together. I’ll be putting more lead in under the cockpit tub.

41401047720_ebe9e30da4_b.jpg

While waiting for the fuselage to cure, I hollowed out the exhausts with a pin vice and hobby knife.

42264501145_1687035b48_b.jpg

That's it for now.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 7

And that's about where mine's been for the last 11 years (good grief, is it really that long?) I really must move it up the build list.

Great progress thus far, and it looks good too. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, charlie_c67 said:

Watch out for the aerials, the ones supplied are not the ones on the actual aircraft. Really must get on and finish my one!

Can you give a hint about the issue with the aerials? Is it the blade aerial on the top of the fuselage? It looks different to the he front of the box.

From memory, they're only suitable for the red and white version in the box, the black version needs a little bit of plastic rod on one or two of the aerial blades to be accurate, though there is also a third option with a small whip aerial instead of a blade, but I can't remember the colour scheme. Best bet is to Google it and go from there, typing in the ZFxxx should help narrow the search 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks - I’ll take a look. Got a bit of time on my hands - the seam between the wing and fuselage opened up and needed glueing and filling again so I haven’t cracked on as fast as I wanted to.

Here's one with the whip aerial...

Shorts Tucano T.Mk1

Here's one with the extension...

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000659391L.html

I think this is the most similar to the Airfix black scheme.

And here's the original further down the page (picture three?)

http://ulsteraviationsociety.org/shorts-tucano-t1-g-btuc

Sems to be a mix of black and white depending on the year/wind/phases of the moon 🙄

• Like 1

Thanks. I actually tracked down a photo of the one I am making - it has the extension so I will need to fix that up.

This has taken a bit longer than I expected - multiple rounds of fill and sand. At last she was ready for paint.

43443683651_97d3771fa2_b.jpg

Two coats of brushed on Tamiya acrylic Matt Black.

41636085320_70a5cc9753_b.jpg

Then a gloss coat.

43443682941_5c2c8cfb26_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/16/2018 at 9:25 PM, danntheman said:

Nice job so far. I have built this, posted here as well.

Thanks. I know - I saw it 😁 Hope mine looks as good once completed

On 7/17/2018 at 12:24 AM, heloman1 said:

Looking good indeed, mine resides on the shelf of doom, don't ask why? I really wanted to finish it!!!

XColin

My one had potential to be a shelf sitter, all that filler! However I pushed on through, and I feel like I am making progress.

On to the decals - so many for such a small aircraft! I am taking it slow and steady. First the topside of the wings.

43466030761_e371576bf6_b.jpg

I love how they bring this to life.

• Like 4

More progress. Wheels on. Sadly for all the lead I stuffed in, its still a tail sitter 😞 Painted the exhausts.

Painted the canopy, and then applied the decals for the canopy breaker  - which was really gruesome. Broke into little pieces, which will require some carefully touchup painting later.

28615995577_f2a73fe38e_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

A shame about the tailsitting

Sometimes wonder whether I should invent helium fillers for tailsitters

Small water balloons filled with funny voice gas and shoved down the back end

I might call them 'Liquid Lightness', for the crack

She does look very nice in black

I suppose you have tried filling the nose with 'Liquid Gravity', it trickles down into all sorts of little crevices...

• Like 1

Thanks all! 

@perdu Ive heard of liquid gravity, but not used it. I am taking the approach of fixing it to a base, which I quickly pit together from a photo frame and some architectural paint samples from the local hardware store.

29652994188_f046a6e257_b.jpg

This were stuck to a cardboard base in a tile fashion, then given a light "dirty" wash with well thinned oil paint.

I think it looks ok. When the time comes I will just glue the front wheel to the base with some glue.

43524539481_50788ee550_b.jpg

43524539511_4d93ec03a2_b.jpg

• Like 2

Your build inspired me to dig mine out. I started it when I was in the UK in 2007 as a gift for my uncle, who hasn't yet received it (obviously). However seeing as he didn't know that it was for him, I guess that that point's moot.

I added a bulkhead ahead of the cockpit area and filled the resultant sealed space with small lead weights that I bought from an angler's supply shop in the next village over before gluing the engine cowling front on. Mine seems to balance fairly well on a finger, hopefully it'll be ok on its undercart as well.

Also in the box are some Aeroclub white metal bits and seats, as well as some Pavla resin seats- a few days work should actually see this one done; I wonder why I stopped work on it? I'll put it near the top of the 'must finish' pile. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

Hi Rob. Thats pretty much what I did. Don't get your hopes up - mine balanced on my finger as well 😓 Having said that, the white metal bits may help?

Anyway, almost all done - although all the little stencil decals are taking FOREVER to do. I added a bit of very fine plastic rod to the top of the blade aerial as mentioned above. Just a few more decals and this one will be done. Looking a bit dusty as well!

41780080000_a7e7207317_b.jpg

• Like 2

And finished! I though the decals would be the death of me. Not quite as quick a build as I expected, but I am pretty happy with how it turns out. Back to work on Monday! Thanks for following. More photos in RFI shortly.

42930375204_bf24d3a312_b.jpg

• Like 2