Tamiya 2001 YZR500

Beauty.  As I was scrolling down I was hoping you'd made the fairing removable thinking there was probably a hundred hours of sweat under there that deserves to be seen.  May I ask what kind of jig it's sitting on?  Looks very businesslike and industrial strength.

• Like 1

Unlike Keith I am a bike fan and this is fantastic, really excellent work all round. Similar to Pete, I’d like to know about the jig that it’s sitting on.

• Like 1

Thanks all. The jig is from Marcomotodesign. He's since updated it but it works all the same. I got mine off him from ebay. It's handy for builds that's for sure.

The cowls are removable, everything fits together with tabs and I placed brass rod in the fairing screw holes. It just slots nicely into place.

Edited by gamblor916
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, gamblor916 said:

Thanks all. The jig is from Marcomotodesign. He's since updated it but it works all the same. I got mine off him from ebay. It's handy for builds that's for sure.

The cowls are removable, everything fits together with tabs and I placed brass rod in the fairing screw holes. It just slots nicely into place.

Hi gamblor916 (is the 916 a reference to Ducati?), thanks for the update. Can I ask you for a bit more detail on how you use the brass rods? I’ve built a Ducati 916 (in the “Ready for Inspection forum section) and I’m currently building a Ducati Desmosedici (in the “in progress forum section) a couple of people have alluded to using things others than the Tamiya screws, but I’m not sure how to go about it. Thanks for your help, regards Ian.

4 hours ago, Ian T said:

Hi gamblor916 (is the 916 a reference to Ducati?), thanks for the update. Can I ask you for a bit more detail on how you use the brass rods? I’ve built a Ducati 916 (in the “Ready for Inspection forum section) and I’m currently building a Ducati Desmosedici (in the “in progress forum section) a couple of people have alluded to using things others than the Tamiya screws, but I’m not sure how to go about it. Thanks for your help, regards Ian.

I'll take it apart and post some pictures of the tabs soon. And yes the 916 is a reference to the Ducati which I am working on right now.

Cheers

Le

Simply sensational, in every area. I really like the effect you've done on the carbon brake rotors, highly realistic and the lock-wire on the clip-on grips.

All the best. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments. Here are the pics of the posts I was talking about. I just realised I used styrene rod in this build, I used brass rod and poly caps in a previous build. I glued strips of styrene to make a channel for the tabs to slot into.

43198477112_bde6569a66_o.jpg

43198476692_fd8506c31d_o.jpg

43198477112_bde6569a66_o.jpg

The panigale had enough room to fit a small polycap so I could use brass rod in the fairing. I still used a Tamiya screw for the lower joint as I needed a bit of strength there.

43198475832_dcf74d09bc_o.jpg

43198475132_f8afcb477a_o.jpg

The 916 has enough room for bigger diameter rod so I opted for styrene.

43247350781_a9d4b565d1_o.jpg

28378233297_663649e3d9_o.jpg

• Like 1