Old Airframe vacuformed Supermarine S.4

I made struts with music wires covered with styrene card for the top fairing wich was suitablely shaped, and the legs were covered with thin aluminium foil from food container, I could make very thin struts this way, I think your way is muuuch easier, but joining the fairings with the fuselage will stay tricky !!!

17053884505_2336eb0150_z.jpgDSC05248 by denisvanb, on Flickr

Denis

• Like 6

The leg fuselage fairings are presented and matched to their contact areas, sanding the angle little by little and checking constantly:

IMG_6331+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The already drilled strut locations on the floats are slightly and carefully enlarged to match the section of the leg struts snugly:

IMG_6336+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The legs can now be slid-in, and their height and angle adjusted according to necessity, between certain limits:

IMG_6334+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6335+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work on that S.4, not the least considering the quite crude wac-form kit!

Those decals from Arctic Decals also look good. I assume they are ALPS printed? How much do such custom decals cost?

Ragnar

Edited by ragnarec
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ragnarec said:

Those decals from Arctic Decals also look good. I assume they are ALPS printed? How much do such custom decals cost?

Ragnar

Hi Ragnar

I thinks it's better if you contact directly Mika Jernfors, the owner of Arctic Decals (you may google it), so he can answer these questions and others you may have in a more accurate manner.

Best regards

Moa

Looking good!

To keep you motivated, I thought I’d offer this link:

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00019000/00019806.mp4.m3u8

Supermarine S4 newsreel footage.  which I have posted elsewhere in this site once before.  Found on British Pathe site, not specifically indexed as such so it could be easily missed.  See 1 minute in.

(I think part of this footage is included in the old David Niven film 'the first of the few')

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greggles.w said:

Looking good!

To keep you motivated, I thought I’d offer this link:

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00019000/00019806.mp4.m3u8

Supermarine S4 newsreel footage.  which I have posted elsewhere in this site once before.  Found on British Pathe site, not specifically indexed as such so it could be easily missed.  See 1 minute in.

(I think part of this footage is included in the old David Niven film 'the first of the few')

My, David Niven! 😉

Yes, there are a couple newsreels out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMKY3a4UDI

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVA3UBFUDONZJ0FUUZ2G4WXJD3TE-TRANSPORT-SEAPLANE-SUPERMARINE-S4-AT-SOUTHAMPTON/query/Super-Marine

Seen them during the research phase of the build, but thanks anyway.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

The two horizontal members of the "A" frames are glued on, and the white color is airbrushed:

IMG_6521+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Looks like slow progress, but in the interim I have finished and posted the Shelton Crusader, and am working on the finals of the Hansa W.33.

There is so much a Modeling Borg Collective can get done.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Looking better with every post. :yes:

You do seem to have a lot of energy with a number of builds on the go at any one time. I'm sure the 'collective' can throttle back if it needs to.

Stuart

Certainly. And all depends as we know on the job, the house chores, other miscellaneous things.

After completing the remaining two I have only one model at the moment I am interested in doing: a racer version of the Fiat BR.20. It will be a very involving modification, so I think I will narrow the focus there.

But you never know.

I will have time to rest when I fly to the great beyond.

• Like 1

Looks nice in white Moa!

I’m interested that you have elected to assemble so much before painting.  I have two floatplanes on the go (OK so that’s generous: my progress is glacial!) and have been thinking ahead on how best to sequence things.  I had been thinking that assembling floats to fuselage as you have would present a challenge for painting the inside faces of the struts, floats & their junctions.  You don’t seem to have  had this trouble?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, greggles.w said:

I’m interested that you have elected to assemble so much before painting.  I have two floatplanes on the go (OK so that’s generous: my progress is glacial!) and have been thinking ahead on how best to sequence things.  I had been thinking that assembling floats to fuselage as you have would present a challenge for painting the inside faces of the struts, floats & their junctions.  You don’t seem to have  had this trouble?

Ideally I would have kept things separated, thus as you mention greatly facilitating painting. I usually do that with other kits if I can.

But since here there was no positive self-alignment, nor provided or pre-arranged effective locating devices, basically, nothing to guide you through the rigging of the sub-assembly, I thought it would be better to deal with the "mechanical" issues first, and then the aesthetic ones.

Airbrushing wasn't really difficult, and eventually everything got covered. I think it depends on how you manipulate the model while painting. I stuck a toothpick on the nose so I could twist and turn as I wished. If you paint on a turntable or any fixed device, then things are not looking great.

Although I am very fond of the subject, there is no lost love between this kit and me, and it's one of those that I am glad when they are over.

Again, a nice kit of this one is overdue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1