New 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington x 2, compared with an MPM kit! Two finished so far!

On 04/07/2018 at 18:30, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

Well the new 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington was delivered by the postie this afternoon and I started to get on with it straight away,...... here is the painted interior by tea time;

I have to say that I am very impressed indeed,..... the turret detail is the best I`ve seen in a 1/72nd scale British bomber so far, the fabric and geodetic surface detail is sublime and the interior has everything you need,....... just need to decide on a colour scheme now and DK Decals have just released three sheets to choose from!

Cheers

Tony

Crickey- if only Airfix would do this (& a MkIII/MkX ) in 1/48th - it knocks spots off the Trumpeter kits.

Edited by Julien
Please dont quote the whole topic for a reply
  • Like 2

Lovely work, as ever, Tony.

The options on the DK Decals sheet look very interesting and the kit looks excellent, I'm going to have to try very hard not to be buying a couple of them.

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Max Headroom said:

Yay! Front row seat.

I’m looking forward to this.....

Trevor

Trevor, can you scoot over just a smidge? You're taller than I am! Can't wait to see this one, Tony! I'm still waiting for mine to get here.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, occa said:

Hi Tony.

Do you know who found out the third color on the 9. DK72069 set (Wellington Mk.IC, T2829 - 9th option) was Mid Stone ?

And what does speak for that very interesting color combination ?

Cheers,

Martin

Hiya Martin,..... DK Decals made the final call on all colour schemes mate,...... adviser`s just advise and the bloke putting the money up makes the final decision! I did post a photo of that scheme in this post,..... so have a look and let me know what you think it should be,

Cheers

Tony 

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I do like the idea of an early one with the low demarcation line

Me too Dave,..... I`m warming to the 75 Sqn one!

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

It's looking splendid already Tony. How are you finding the fit so far?

Martian 👽

Hiya Martin,..... I`ve just put the fuselage together today and had to shave the mating edges to bet a better fit,...... we`ll see as we get on!

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Here is the fuselage joined together;

DSCF4641_NEWDSCF4642_NEW

And colour scheme wise,...... I was partly through the MPM Wellington kit seen below and had even cut out the waist windows,..... but I may switch and make the Airfix Wimpey in the markings of the box art from this MPM kit? I still cannot decide!

DSCF4644_NEW

2f0867dc8a5664e969b563b53352ff3c311_Wellington-4

I`ve still not fully decided yet and it could just as easily be an early war 75 Sqn bomber yet!

wellington -75-sqn-l7794

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Looking at some of the colour schemes available in this thread it occurred to me is the Warwick greatly different from a Wellington ?

You can certainly see a resemblance 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looking at some of the colour schemes available in this thread it occurred to me is the Warwick greatly different from a Wellington ?

The Warwick was bigger, with more powerful engines, it's an evolutionary step from the Weillington rather than a revolutionary one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

If you want a Warwick you’d better hunt down a Contrail vacform

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/137537-contrail-vickers-armstrong-warwick

As for the new Airfix Wimpy, TAMCO (c) * is definitely your man as is ably being demonstrated here👍🏻

Trevor

*Tony’s Aircraft Manufacturing Company! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

it could just as easily be an early war 75 Sqn bomber yet!

Hmmmm, think how GOOD that low demarcation scheme would look, you can do your CC machine any old time. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers everybody,...... well I`ve made my decision re the colour scheme,...... see if you can guess which one!

I`ve filled the seam lines on the fuselage as they were hard to sand smooth and also made a start on the wings,..... one if dry fitted and the other is under construction with the nacelle in position waiting for the upper wing half to be put in place;

DSCF4648

DSCF4645

And here both wings built and dry fitted to the fuselage while the tail plane, fin and rudder have also been assembled and dry fitted too. The engines can be seen, one assembled and ready to attach to the nacelle and the other showing the constituent parts,.... I have dry fitted the nacelle fire bulkheads and they are upside down here,....... and are a much better fit the right way around! ;

DSCF4649DSCF4650

Unfortunately, the blanking plate for the waist gun positions isn`t the brilliant fit that I was hoping for and I`ve had to put lots of filler around and over it,....... I hope that I don`t regret going for a subject without waist gun positions!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Shame about the waist gun blanking plate not fitting well Tony, I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case as it does look like a great kit. I think Airfix should have made this part solid with the rest of the fabric and provided a deep recess guide on the inside to allow the modeller to cut it out if required. The geodetic structure is nice but hardly required in this rear section. 

I’m sure you’ll massage it all into place as you normally do. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Wow.  That's quick work Tony.  Got mine yesterday and it looks like real peach of a kit.  Of all the 'Redboxes' I've bought this one looks like the best of the lot!

• Like 1

Great choice Tony. The earlier scheme looks lovely. Will be doing my MPM Welly in an earlier scheme too.  Very nice work so far. Shame about the blanking plate. But it still  looks like the kit is way above any of the others on the market.

Gonna have to get me one of these. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2

Looking great, Tony.

How was the fit of the wing nacelle parts? It looks a bit odd, the way Airfix have moulded it. Not like anything I've seen before. Do the parts line up okay and are the seams a close fit?

Chris

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,....... well I`ve sanded the model and fixed the wings, tail etc in place. Having filled and sanded the waist position blanking plates I struggled because one of them is not flush, but sits lower down from the surface level of the fuselage, causing a dip which is hard to fill in. I have already removed most of the fabric detail from this area during my first sanding session and I`m a bit dismayed to have to do it all over again now as it is still not right! Surely leaving the modeller to  cut out the positions would have been a better way to do it,.... especially as the decal options in this boxing don`t even feature waist guns!  I wish I`d just gone for the Coastal option now as this had waist guns! 

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Looking great, Tony.

How was the fit of the wing nacelle parts? It looks a bit odd, the way Airfix have moulded it. Not like anything I've seen before. Do the parts line up okay and are the seams a close fit?

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... the fit of the nacelles is great,..... and a clever way of doing it. I`m pretty sure that they have also left the way open for different engine options including the Merlin and Hercules,.... we`ll see? 

All the best

Tony

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 7:29 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Martin,..... DK Decals made the final call on all colour schemes mate,...... adviser`s just advise and the bloke putting the money up makes the final decision! I did post a photo of that scheme in this post,..... so have a look and let me know what you think it should be,

Cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony

First when I saw those photos with three tones in the upper sides I had no idea at all what the colors could be.

But after viewing DK's solution TSS combined with either Mid Stone (or maybe Light Earth ?) sounds highly plausible to me too.

The contrast between the darker hues is very low, that highly confirms the TSS colors.

It combines sea with desert camo so I'd go with that.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well after more filling and sanding I think that I`m getting somewhere,.... I`ve painted the area around the waist positions and then sanded, hence the brown lines;

DSCF4653_NEWDSCF4654_NEWDSCF4655_NEW

And after a few brushed on coats of Pactra acrylic Dark Earth;

DSCF4656_NEWDSCF4657_NEWDSCF4662DSCF4661

So onwards and upwards eh!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 20

You've massaged this Welly quite nicely, Tony.

A few large roundels and Squadron codes over the top should make this clean up area quite un-noticable I would think.

Otherwise, it looks like another Airfix cracker.

Cheers.. Dave.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You've massaged this Welly quite nicely, Tony.

A few large roundels and Squadron codes over the top should make this clean up area quite un-noticable I would think.

Otherwise, it looks like another Airfix cracker.

Cheers.. Dave.  

Thanks Dave,...... it was one of those,...leave it alone with more filler on it for a day and pick it up when you are ready,...... just took my time and it went much better than yesterday! Like you say, a large roundel and some codes and hopefully it will be fine,...... just bought another kit to do the Coastal scheme!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 3