New 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington x 2, compared with an MPM kit! Two finished so far!

Tony, on the photo from yesterday, where you re-painted the flat black, that the starboard engine was missing the air baffle that fits over the gear casing. Did you add that before you installed the cowling over the engine?

Chris

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Tony, on the photo from yesterday, where you re-painted the flat black, that the starboard engine was missing the air baffle that fits over the gear casing. Did you add that before you installed the cowling over the engine?

Chris

Yes Chris,.... I left one of them off just to show the engine detail for the photo,....... don`t worry mate!

• Like 3

does anyone know what was the purpose of those baffle plates? You don't see them on every Pegasus engine.

Chris, they were designed to allow air to be directed onto the cylinder heads to aid cooling, the larger single hole incorporated the oil cooler intakes. As to why some Pegasus engined aircraft didn't have them fitted. I'm guessing that the removal of the plates didn't affect dramatically affect cooling.

• Like 3

Cheers Andy,..... much appreciate the answer mate.

I got a bit more done on the MPM Wellington today, wearing its Middle East daytime scheme;

DSCF4696DSCF4698

To match my reference photos I used US Neutral Grey over the Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue underneath,... it reminds me of a baby Warwick in these colours!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

Chris, they were designed to allow air to be directed onto the cylinder heads to aid cooling, the larger single hole incorporated the oil cooler intakes. As to why some Pegasus engined aircraft didn't have them fitted. I'm guessing that the removal of the plates didn't affect dramatically affect cooling.

Thanks, General. Are you sure about the larger, top central hole being for the oil cooler? These photos shows two intake pipes mounted above the baffle plate.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205218611

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205208736

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209964

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Cheers Chris, yes you're quite right the oil cooler pipes were above the baffle, the larger hole seems due to the offset of a pipe that extended forward to the nose of the reduction gear casing on the XVIII.

Prop pitch control?

Chris

Looking fantastic Tony  great work.  I have got to say I love the  Humbrol paints and use them on all models as I cannot get on with acrylic paints at all. I  suppose you can get a bad tin  now and again. 

Love the scheme you have chosen to model and will be doing a similar scheme on my MPM kit.

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
Predictive text error
  • Like 1

It's looking good and you could be busy building Wellingtons for the rest of the year.

In fact, you are the only person I know who could have some hope of completing a DK Decals one sheet one man group build.

I suspect all that interior detail will be invisible without an endoscope. In fact Mr Airfix must think so too with a list of bits you can easily leave out!

The MPM one is looking good too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It's looking good and you could be busy building Wellingtons for the rest of the year.

In fact, you are the only person I know who could have some hope of completing a DK Decals one sheet one man group build.

I suspect all that interior detail will be invisible without an endoscope. In fact Mr Airfix must think so too with a list of bits you can easily leave out!

The MPM one is looking good too.

Cheers Ed,.... ha ha,.... yeah I`m working my way through some DK Decals sheets already!!  Speaking of interior detail, I`ve started another Airfix Wimpey but left out a lot of the interior stuff!

I`ve been doing a bit more today,... first of all added a watercolour wash and a bit of weathering,..... in the background can be seen my 2nd Airfix Wimpey, to be done in Coastal colours,..... but with quite a bit of the interior left out as it won`t be seen;;

DSCF4701

I`ve added the undercarriage and canopies/ windows and started to mask off the exhaust ring;

DSCF4704DSCF4703

Here is the 2nd Airfix Wimpey later in the day, I`ve blacked out the side windows from inside as the windows will be painted over; 

DSCF4705

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 17

These are coming along nicely Tony. 

I particularly like early camouflage scheme and plan to do that scheme when I eventually get mine from the postie, (once all deliveries to Casa O'Toole have been completed and the Post Office workers resume normal duties) 🙂

I really like the look of the Middle Eastern scheme Wellington and I have to agree, it does have a resemblance to the Warwick. 

When completed, the trio are really going to stand out in their respective colour schemes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

These are coming along nicely Tony. 

I particularly like early camouflage scheme and plan to do that scheme when I eventually get mine from the postie, (once all deliveries to Casa O'Toole have been completed and the Post Office workers resume normal duties) 🙂

I really like the look of the Middle Eastern scheme Wellington and I have to agree, it does have a resemblance to the Warwick. 

When completed, the trio are really going to stand out in their respective colour schemes. 

Cheers Chris,..... you`ll love the kit mate!

Only just found this thread Tony and I'm really glad that I have.

You have been doing a cracking job on her (as usual) and have convinced me that I need to add some (1 will never be enough with all those cracking colour schemes!) to the stash.

Nice choice of scheme mate, very nice indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Only just found this thread Tony and I'm really glad that I have.

You have been doing a cracking job on her (as usual) and have convinced me that I need to add some (1 will never be enough with all those cracking colour schemes!) to the stash.

Nice choice of scheme mate, very nice indeed.

Cheers Bud,..... yes there are loads of schemes to choose from aren`t there,...... my 2nd Airfix one will wear a white coastal scheme,..... but I want to blank off the nose and do a torpedo bomber too!

I`ve almost finished it tonight,.... it looks great with the turret`s fitted!

All the best,

Tony 

• Like 3

Your Wimpy is looking fab, Tony.  A great paint job and an interesting scheme.  Looking forward to seeing progress on the Coastal one.  Mine is in the (massive) queue but might have jumped it a bit.  I think I'll be going for the kit's 75 (NZ) markings in deference to the extraordinary feat of bravery carried out in it but I like 311 (Czech) squadron's toned down roundels so if/when I get another one I think that might be my next choice.  I really hope some enterprising company like Blackbird, AlleyCat or Freightdog releases a Mk1 turret conversion set.  I too would like a nose fairing part as I'd like to build a post War T.10 although I suppose the Matchbox B.X would make a better base kit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Your Wimpy is looking fab, Tony.  A great paint job and an interesting scheme.  Looking forward to seeing progress on the Coastal one.  Mine is in the (massive) queue but might have jumped it a bit.  I think I'll be going for the kit's 75 (NZ) markings in deference to the extraordinary feat of bravery carried out in it but I like 311 (Czech) squadron's toned down roundels so if/when I get another one I think that might be my next choice.  I really hope some enterprising company like Blackbird, AlleyCat or Freightdog releases a Mk1 turret conversion set.  I too would like a nose fairing part as I'd like to build a post War T.10 although I suppose the Matchbox B.X would make a better base kit.

Cheers mate,.......I have a feeling that Airfix will be running with these moulds,...... there are holes inside the fuselage for the ASV antenna and grooves around the nose and tail for guides to cut these off for alternative noses and the 4 gun rear turret,...... maybe a B.X and a T.10, including the radar trainer variant with the extended radome nose? Engines should be pretty easy to swap around too for various versions,....... I`d like a Mk.I style nose to do a PR.X variant as used by 69 Sqn in NW Europe. 

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is looking stunning Tony!

Martian 👽

Thanks bud,..... it is almost finished now too!

Hiya Folks,..... well it is finished!!!

DSCF4706_NEWDSCF4707_NEWDSCF4728_NEWDSCF4732DSCF4730_NEWDSCF4725_NEWDSCF4717_NEWDSCF4718_NEWDSCF4720_NEWDSCF4722_NEWDSCF4716_NEWDSCF4720_NEW

Thanks for your encouragement along the way and I hope that you like it,....... the kit itself is amazingly good!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 37

Love the finish and the chipping around the nacelles. I also like the fact that Airfix seem to have got the turrets the right size - the front turret has a gap around it, unlike the MPM where you have to put the bigger turret at the front because that's the only place it will fit!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1