New 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington x 2, compared with an MPM kit! Two finished so far!

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:44, Steve Coombs said:

Then an Evergreen orgy it shall be. Thanks for the heads-up.

I will be up for following this!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

They both look very nice.

Do you have a view on how the MPM and new Airfix compare? I built the MPM and was very happy with it (although I think I'm in a minority there).

(And I've got a Revell/MPM Mk II in the stash before I throw any money at Airfix...)

Regards,

Adrian

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed Tony.   I have the MPM Wellington 1C and the Revell Wellington II as well so will also be interested to know what you think of them .

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

Hiya Chris and Adrian,...... the MPM/Revell kit is good,..... but the Airfix kit is at another level,..... it is superb! The main niggle that I found with the MPM kit was the turrets,.... which are different sizes when they should really be the same size..... I have switched them around, putting their tail turret in the rear position and vice versa,..... and they looked better.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great progress Tony, good job on the waist gunner positions, it's a lovely little kit, isn't it? I'm just about to start sploshing paint on my second for Airfix with a third arriving soon, (well it is Bomber Command so I can't have too many). I found a few things to make life easier like shaving the bottoms off the turrets so they can be slid into place at the end of the build and leaving out the engine bulkheads to get a better fit with the nacelles.  I see Eduard have the masking and detailing sets arriving soon...will have to indulge as the masking set will certainly make life easier!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great progress Tony, good job on the waist gunner positions, it's a lovely little kit, isn't it? I'm just about to start sploshing paint on my second for Airfix with a third arriving soon, (well it is Bomber Command so I can't have too many). I found a few things to make life easier like shaving the bottoms off the turrets so they can be slid into place at the end of the build and leaving out the engine bulkheads to get a better fit with the nacelles.  I see Eduard have the masking and detailing sets arriving soon...will have to indulge as the masking set will certainly make life easier!

Cheers Andy,

The tip with the turrets is very timely and especially welcome. I had the engine bulkheads fitted upside down originally but when I fitted them correctly and shaved them down a bit (following your advice about leaving them out in the Airfix mag) they were OK,.... but they do seem to be quite superfluous to the build really! 

Looking forward to seeing your other Wimpey`s mate,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

Cheers Tony, hope the tip helps, agree the bulkheads aren't really of much use as the detailed side can't be seen! (unless you have an engine fully exposed). Hopefully, I'll get the other one finished soon, I'll post it here once done.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished...

• Like 1

Just found your build thread Tony. It looks like an excellent kit and you're making an excellent job of it as usual. Too many nice schemes to make a decision but hey you have.

Colin

PS. Did the posty have time to get back to his van before you had the box open? He, he!

• Like 1

Coming along very nicely, Tony.  Looks like you've done a great job blending in the waist gun windows, which augers well for my effort. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Coming along very nicely, Tony.  Looks like you've done a great job blending in the waist gun windows, which augers well for my effort. 

Cheers Bud,...... good luck with them! 

Today I brushed on the first coat of black on the undersides,...... it was supposed to be Humbrol 33 Matt Black enamel,...... but despite stirring and shaking it,....it has dried glossy!

DSCF4678DSCF4677

But thanks to the hot weather it has dried quite quickly,......so might get another coat on tomorrow?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Today I brushed on the first coat of black on the undersides,...... it was supposed to be Humbrol 33 Matt Black enamel,...... but despite stirring and shaking it,....it has dried glossy!

And there in a nutshell is why I gave up on Humbrol paints! Are you listening Hornby? No? I thought not.

She is looking magnificent though Tony.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Well a bit more painting;

Got another tin of Humbrol 33 and applied another coat,...... more of a scuffed on coat as otherwise it would have been far too thick;

DSCF4679

The model is now painted and ready for a gloss coat prior to decals;

DSCF4680

I`ve applied the gloss tonight and left the model to dry,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 15

Funny stuff, Humbrol 33, I've had pots that go on lovely and matt and pots that refuse to dry.

I usually scoop the solidish stiff out of the bottom of the tin and use that... it'll usually dry matt.

The Wellington is looking rather splendid, by the way.

• Like 1

Hello,Tony - You’re certainly working your wizardry with this fabulous new kit and with great pace.I have a soft spot for the Wellington and must admit I’m tempted to indulge in one of these myself.Brilliant modelling as always,My Friend.:star::goodjob:

All The Very Best,Paul.👏😉👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Funny stuff, Humbrol 33, I've had pots that go on lovely and matt and pots that refuse to dry.

I usually scoop the solidish stiff out of the bottom of the tin and use that... it'll usually dry matt.

Wouldn't it be better to mix it in :winkgrin:

Thanks everybody,..... I`m looking forward to getting the decals on this,.....hopefully in the next few days. 

Adrian,.... I didn`t lighten it,..... I just didn`t scuff the paint on as much along the leading edges so it is the light reflecting,...... although I`m hoping that it will show on the finished model. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Well a bit more painting;

Got another tin of Humbrol 33 and applied another coat,...... more of a scuffed on coat as otherwise it would have been far too thick;

DSCF4679

The model is now painted and ready for a gloss coat prior to decals;

DSCF4680

I`ve applied the gloss tonight and left the model to dry,

Cheers

Tony 

Mmm...

Just wonder... ...if you applied gloss coat prior to decals why was it important that the underside got an second layer of matt black instead of that gloss that it already had after the first layer?

Wonderfull build and following with great interest!

Cheers / André

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Mmm...

Just wonder... ...if you applied gloss coat prior to decals why was it important that the underside got an second layer of matt black instead of that gloss that it already had after the first layer?

Wonderfull build and following with great interest!

Cheers / André

Because it was quite wishy washy ,..... plus I was just explaining the fact that it was supposed to be a matt black paint even though it didn`t look like it!

Cheers,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

Understand Tony,

In fact I have a pair of Lancaster's painted (20, 30 years ago now) with Humbrol matt black. They both ended up partly matt, partly gloss black. After that I newer trust Humbrol 33 matt black for anything bigger than instrument panels and headgear of Napoleonic figures i 1/72...

Cheers / André

• Like 2

Funnily enough I never trust Humbrol paints unless they say 'made in Marfleet' on the tin

We were having this discussion at the club yesterday, but there too some were having no trouble with Humbrol's new brews

Luck

Pot

must be...

The Wimpey looks great with the low black demarcation, I saw the kit out of its box at club yesterday

Looks very tempting

And I am no longer a WW2 modeller, but...

• Like 1

Good progress Tony...Humbrol, good lord I haven't used the stuff since 1988, (it was a Friday afternoon in late August and the snow was falling particularly hard)...and now I know why!....actually that isn't quite true, I used their lovely Brunswick Green on my SBS DH-88 and it went on beautifully after being thinned 70% with Colourcoats enamel thinner, so hoist by my own petard there!

Don't forget to forget the tail wheel doors...Airfix makes no mention of this, but the doors were deleted from late Mk1A's on...though I'm sure you already knew this. :winkgrin:

• Like 4

Cheers Everybody and thanks for the heads up re the tail wheel doors Andy,...... I had thought that but I was scouring pics to make doubly sure,..... a very timely hint mate!

Right,.... I`ve got the decals on and it is looking more like it now,..... engines are also attached and the turrets are laid out alongside;

DSCF4688DSCF4689

The turrets are fabulous and so easy to assemble,.... well done Airfix,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 23