New 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington x 2, compared with an MPM kit! Two finished so far!

She looks lovely Tony. I get the feeling that you will be buying a lot more than just the one extra kit.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

That's a great save with the waist gun positions Tony, you've done a cracking job with them. I have to agree with you that it would have been much easier to cut them out rather than replacing them (unless Airfix don't trust us with anything sharp!). 

That's a nice choice of colour scheme you've decided upon. 

Good luck with the rest of the build. 

• Like 2

Nice work Tony, I’m really enjoying this build, your brush painting skills are cracking. ;)

However,  i’m not enjoying tidying up after posts because people use the quote function but leave all of the photos in place. It’s annoying for other users to have to scroll through repeated photos and annoying for the Mods to clean up what should have been done as part of forum etiquette......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Nice work Tony, I’m really enjoying this build, your brush painting skills are cracking. ;)

However,  i’m not enjoying tidying up after posts because people use the quote function but leave all of the photos in place. It’s annoying for other users to have to scroll through repeated photos and annoying for the Mods to clean up what should have been done as part of forum etiquette......

Sorry Greg. 

Gidday Tony, 

As a Kiwi it pleases me no end to see you’ve chosen the 75 Sqn bird. I never doubted you lol

Ake Ake Kia Kaha- 

(75 Sqn motto. Forever, Forever Be Strong) 

Best regards, 

Ash 

• Like 1

I went with a couple of friends to the newly refurbished RAF Museum on Saturday (v. nice, most amused by the genuine Crapper in the Grahame-White factory/H2), and then to Hannants, where I had a good drool over the contents of a box opened for general perusal. Didn't/couldn't buy one immediately because it wouldn't fit in my luggage to return to good old DE and I didn't want to risk anything getting crunched. From there to standing room only for the football in a nearby pub, followed by relief in the half-time break when we found a very nice cafe close by with the TV on and about four other customers. Bliss. It even did Peroni beer.

Anyhow, when my stockist gets them in, I will build the Loch Ness machine, which is one of the box options. I had the pleasure during the latter half of 1986 of working in hangar TS at British Aerospace Weybridge, across the way from the old Brooklands clubhouse and other buildings, and one morning my colleagues and I were invited to a brief tour of the embryonic museum, where N2980 was being tended to. One of the advantages of the boss' office being about a mile away!

I wonder if I could carefully sand back the fuselage to expose the internal geodetic structure to get her to look as she does now? I'd have to scratchbuild the back end, but that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem if I get my hands on some suitable plans.

A before and after might be a fun double build. Buy shares in Evergreen now! Ideas, ideas...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I wonder if I could carefully sand back the fuselage to expose the internal geodetic structure to get her to look as she does now?

The problem with that approach is that parts of the airframe are covered and the plastic is much thicker (relatively) than the fabric covering. If you sand back the uncovered areas you will end up with a significant step between the covered and uncovered parts. You will need to add the wood longitudinal battens that the fabric attaches to. The other problem is how one would do the wings without completely scratchbuilding them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The problem with that approach is that parts of the airframe are covered and the plastic is much thicker (relatively) than the fabric covering. If you sand back the uncovered areas you will end up with a significant step between the covered and uncovered parts.

Then an Evergreen orgy it shall be. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by Steve Coombs
Complaint
  • Like 2

Hiya Folks,

I`ve got a first coat of Dark Green disruptive camo brushed on,...... but as I had no access to my ref photos I had to guess a little as to the exact areas of camo,..... since photographing I`ve been able to get the computer back,.... but still been unable to print any photos to use as reference! 

DSCF4667_NEW

Since the pic was taken, this evening I have done some tweaking to this basic pattern!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

3 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Please tell me a minesweeper variant is in your future plans?!

It would be nice to have one,...... and I`m sure that some nice aftermarket manufacturer might just do a set,.... if so,.... then count me in!

Cheers

Tony   

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, Greg B said:

9 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Happy now?

Not just me!

• Like 2

Looking really good Tony, I have not built any models for over 2 years, but I think this would be something that would get me back into modelling and would look great next to my Varsity

• Like 1

It looks to be a great kit, so much more far reaching than the previous Airfix offering.

I shall be waiting for the MK III as they flew from my local station.

The build certainly highlights the interior  and I hope the turrets are also a vast improvement . . .  

I shall keep looking in. many thanks Tony for the demo, its great.

Ian

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,..... Ian, the turrets on this kit are superb,..... I`ll start building them soon.

Right,..... hopefully I`ve got the final coat of Dark Green on and patched up the Dark Earth,.... although I`m not too happy with the Pactra acrylic paint!

DSCF4673DSCF4672

I`ve alo painted the MPM Wimpey too,... and have decided to finish it in the scheme seen on many Middle East based Wimpey`s,.... which appears to be a faded Temperate Sea Scheme with Azure Blue undersides;

DSCF4676

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 15

The Airfix Wellington is looking rather splendid and your proposed scheme for the MPM one is intriguing and will certainly stand out (I know that ain't the idea of camouflage but you know what I mean).

• Like 1

Great work Tony

I’ll be needing to build one of these soon. The MPM Wimpy will also be that bit different in those colours.

Thanks

James

Edited by franky boy
  • Like 1

They both look very nice.

Do you have a view on how the MPM and new Airfix compare? I built the MPM and was very happy with it (although I think I'm in a minority there).

(And I've got a Revell/MPM Mk II in the stash before I throw any money at Airfix...)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1