New 1/72nd scale Airfix Wellington x 2, compared with an MPM kit! Two finished so far!

Thanks for your kind words everybody, glad you like it and I hope you enjoy the kit as much as I did if you buy one, Thanks to Airfix for releasing another superb kit of an RAF classic.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Your previous B-25 Mitchell builds inspired me to open my wallet and theres no doubt that this Wellington will have a similar effect in the weeks to come. It's so good to see this finished and equally better to hear it endorsed so well buy a modeller who builds so many. Thanks Tony.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Lovely job Tony...are you going to rig the aerial lines? if so you'll need to add the stub aerial for the TR9 intercom unit on the left upper fuselage, (have you still to add it or has the Carpet Monster 'ad it?)

yes there are loads of schemes to choose from aren`t there,

Certainly are... I have a silver/yellow T.10 in mind.  Look forward to seeing the Coastal Command version.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 12:26 AM, general melchett said:

Lovely job Tony...are you going to rig the aerial lines? if so you'll need to add the stub aerial for the TR9 intercom unit on the left upper fuselage, (have you still to add it or has the Carpet Monster 'ad it?)

Certainly are... I have a silver/yellow T.10 in mind.  Look forward to seeing the Coastal Command version.

Thanks Andy,..... I`ve stopped rigging antenna wires now because I only end up snapping them and you guessed correctly,.... the tiny mast went pinging off into the ether,.... never to be seen again! I did mean to whittle a replacement but forgot! 

A silver and white T.10 would be superb,..... fingers crossed that Airfix do one,... maybe that explains the line scored inside the nose eh! Just applied the first coat of white to the coastal one yesterday,.... although it just happens to be one which didn`t have ASV fitted so it is a standard Mk.Ic.

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Outstanding work Tony.

I love the scheme and you have done a great job on it.

I'm sure Airfix will be selling a few more Wellingtons off the back of your build, and I look forward to your Coastal Command one.

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Superb Tony simply superb.  Great work fella. I would love to get one of these.  Loving the early scheme too.

All the best 

Chris 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Beautiful Tony, another masterpiece :) 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Your previous B-25 Mitchell builds inspired me to open my wallet and theres no doubt that this Wellington will have a similar effect in the weeks to come. It's so good to see this finished and equally better to hear it endorsed so well buy a modeller who builds so many. Thanks Tony.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Fella`s,..... I really appreciate your kind words.

• Like 1

and you guessed correctly,.... the tiny mast went pinging off into the ether,.... never to be seen again! 

Ha, don't worry mate, you're not alone! I've taken to having a plastic sheet under the bench as I'm sick to death of tiny parts, (especially PE) disappearing into the ravenous jaws of the bliddy Carpet Monster! 

Just applied the first coat of white to the coastal one yesterday,...

You should have the that finished by tomorrow lunchtime then :whistle:

• Haha 1

Thank you everybody for your very kind comments, 

I`m still plodding along with the other Airfix Wellington in coastal colours, wearing 311 (Czech) Sqn markings and the MPM kit in daylight coastal markings for the Med. Here is an update on the other Airfix kit, starting with the markings that it will wear,.... from the MPM kit and pics of the real aircraft;

2f0867dc8a5664e969b563b53352ff3c311_Wellington-4BKA_300815_3_zpshqqmplcbdff777e6d8f074bccdcf932d21c3a259

Note that the real aeroplane appears to have the later porcupine style exhausts,... which are provided in the MPM kit as resin parts, so they will be added to the Airfix kit.

Speaking of the kit,.... here it is so far after a couple of coats of Halfords finest white rattlecan paint;

DSCF4734

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Speaking of the kit,.... here it is so far after a couple of coats of Halfords finest white rattlecan paint;

DSCF4734

Cheers for now,

Tony

Is that photo representative of the 'standard' fit of the Airfix fuselage clear parts??? Do the infill parts fit any better?

Edited by Killingholme

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Is that photo representative of the 'standard' fit of the Airfix fuselage clear parts??? Do the infill parts fit any better?

Standard fit,..... I have since filled in the gaps mind you. Which `infil' parts do you mean,...... all you get are side windows in the kit, which were overpainted on many Wimey`s,...as I`ve replicated here. If you mean the waist window infills,.... then yes,.... I had trouble with filling and getting a decent fit. I`m fitting waist windows on this model but have yet to attach them, the openings are covered with tape. 

Edited by tonyot

On 7/21/2018 at 8:50 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Tony now we are really being spoiled with more Wimpys this is great. 

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

Cheers Chris,

Glad you like the first one mate,...... here is the second one after its first coat of Dark Slate Grey;

DSCF4737

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5

Great modelling as always Tony, with added history lessons thrown in. I always learn from your builds.

Another wishing for a post war T.10 please Mr Airfix.

Edge

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 6:19 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers Andy,..... much appreciate the answer mate.

I got a bit more done on the MPM Wellington today, wearing its Middle East daytime scheme;

DSCF4696DSCF4698

To match my reference photos I used US Neutral Grey over the Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue underneath,... it reminds me of a baby Warwick in these colours!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, the neutral grey, is it the s

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 6:19 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers Andy,..... much appreciate the answer mate.

I got a bit more done on the MPM Wellington today, wearing its Middle East daytime scheme;

DSCF4696DSCF4698

To match my reference photos I used US Neutral Grey over the Dark Slate Grey with Azure Blue underneath,... it reminds me of a baby Warwick in these colours!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, 

Is the neutral grey the same as the one of  the underside of USAAF aircraft.

Awesome kit by the way !

Cheers,

Joseph

7 hours ago, beppe said:

Hi Tony, 

Is the neutral grey the same as the one of  the underside of USAAF aircraft.

Awesome kit by the way !

Cheers,

Joseph

Cheers Joseph,..... yes that is the colour that I used. I have a theory that many US colours were used for `in theatre' repaints in the Med,..... but the dope on this Wellington would also have faded quite a lot in the sunshine anyway.

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

I got the first coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey onto the model today, using Hobby Color 333 EDSG which was heavily thinned using Vallejo Thinner Medium;

DSCF4740DSCF4739

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5

Hiya Folks,

I`ve finished the painting on the 2nd Airfix kit, less some detail stuff and tidying up where the masking didn`t work!;

DSCF4742

DSCF4744

DSCF4741

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 8

Cheers Fellas,..... here is a bit more progress,...... decals on;

2nd Airfix kit,...using decals from the MPM kit;

DSCF4745

DSCF4748

And here is the MPM kit,... with decals from DK Decals;

DSCF4749DSCF4752