OP under a tree done

So I'm calling this one done and even thouugh I feel that I have a loooooooooooooong way to go in the art I am pleased as this dio is my first attempt at such.As a side note I also think that I am now officially hooked.

Figures and accessories is all tamiya items base and tree I made myself.

Thanks for looking and as always critique is welcomed.

Regards:

Shaun

IMG_20180704_134414.jpg

IMG_20180704_134458.jpg

IMG_20180704_134530.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Shaun,

It's great to see this finished. Well done!

You would be surprised by how many dioramas never make it to completion. I've been guilty of giving up myself n the past, but nowadays I stick to my guns and never give up - although I may give up on components of a diorama and scrap or replace them.

So, again, well done to you sir!

I'm glad to hear you're hooked. You'll find diorama making extremely challenging at times, but very rewarding, perhaps moreso than completing the featured models themselves. Always remember that a good diorama can raise an 'average' model to greatness, whereas a bad diorama can ruin a great model, so it's worth spending time and money on them to get them looking right.

And on that note, I was surprised to see you make your tree armature from wire and plaster, but I have to say that the trunk and branches look pretty good to me. I'm not convinced by the foliage, but it's not terrible. Have a search for some stuff called 'Seafoam'. It's a pant which many use to recreate foliage with great success. 

Trees are without doubt the HARDEST thing to make from scratch, but there are some great videos and articles on the web that will give you some ideas. Personally, I wouldn't pay out for kit trees - the ones with the brown plastic trunks and stumpy branches and foam foliage. They are shockingly bad. Much better to experiment and make your own, as you have done.

I 'invented' a way of making trees a while back and have improved the method subsequently. My latest tree is available to view in my WIP 'Ever Evolving Diorama', the construction method starting on p.27.

It was a long and expensive process, but more expensive than it needed to be TBH, because I got carried away with the foliage and made the tree much too dense. Had I left the foliage more open I reckon I could have halved the cost! I will take that into account on my next one!

Finally, I will congratulate you on the composition of your diorama. You do have an eye for an interesting and eye-pleasing layout. As your skills improve you're sure to be producing some cracking dioramas and I look forward to seeing you progress.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Thank you very kindly for the above remarks and advice @Badder.I am most definitely hooked as I said before only thing is I have 600 odd aircraft kits to build as it represents many years of collecting.That however being said I can see absolutely no reason not to build them as part of dioramas.😁 

The money spent on a good model does not at all bother me as I see this as a extension of the hobby itself and it keeps me from overspending in the long run due to not buying more kits.

Once again thank you for the kind words and I do believe that I will be seen around this section of the forum more regularly than most would like with both new scenes and way too many questions.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1