Interpreting wartime photography: Catalina in Ceylon

mahavelona

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Apparently, Cats could be fitted with both underwing radar aerials and the unit above the cockpit.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126685

Chris

Yep, when they were upgraded to the later radar , some retained the main antenna mounts under the wings, , the small antenna outboard on the right wing was removed and the multiple small horizontal antenna bars were removed from the main antenna arms, Catalina's upgraded may have the underwing antennas but late PB2B-1's and PB2B-2's (Big tail Catalina's) with the radar above the cockpit from the factory  didn't have any trace of the old style antenna's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Catching up with this thread shows me that, despite my admiration for the Catalina, I know almost nothing about the changes in equipment over time (and over other measures, I suppose).  Sounds like a good subject for @Dana Bell

While most people only really recognise 2 models of the Catalina, the PBY-5 flying boat config and the PBY-5A  Amphib. config (later PB2B-2 and PBY-6A big tails) the Catalina evolved under the skin continually during the war, Engine, Radar, guns, underwing stores, MAD detection, etc, it was one of the only aircraft during the war that served the whole war in its basic airframe config without major structural changes.

• Like 2

Whilst we're here, can somebody confirm details of the windows between the struts on the flying boat version? 

I know that flying boat catalinas, like the IVb I'm modelling (JX 431) had a small window in the fuselage, between the struts. At least, I've seen lots of photos of them on the port side, as in the OP photo. However, I've seen photos of the starboard side of flying boat catalinas where there is no window between the struts.

Is this window only on the port side, or is it in on both sides of some catalinas, but not all? Obviously amphibious cats don't have the window, as they have wheel wells in the same place. 

Indeed, replying to Sydhuey's latest post, part of the fun in modelling this plane is the array of small details the modeller must debate and scratch build, depending on the airframe you are modelling. Such a wonderful airplane. Promise I'll throw some WIP photos up soon!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo, everyone,

A small contribution regarding colours. The colour in the inner circle of the insignia is called "India White", and it is obtained by mixing four parts White one part Roundel Blue. It certainly looks tantalizing similar to Azure Blue, especially in some decal sheets.

The explanation for the light circle obliterating the European roundel might be (helped by a bit of overexposing in the picture) that the factory colour in the wing is most probably ANA 603 Sea Grey (a Dark Sea Grey look alike -not EDSG) while, for some reason, it seems that most roundel repainting in "naval" camouflaged machines (such as those of FAA) was done with MAP Dark Slate Grey, which, especially in Black&White picture, looks lighter.

The darker square at the wing's central section trailing edge is most probably related to the wish to obscure the exhausts' fumes dirt. It might well be MAP EDSG, which is darker than ANA 603.

Hope that helps,

FErnando