1/72nd Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt, 1st Air Commando Group, USAAF, India 1945

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I`ve had an interest in the 1st ACG for some time and as I`m building a small model collection from this unit it would seem rude not to throw my hat into the ring with a 1st ACG Thunderbolt!

60769-1-800x800

Here are a few ref photos;

a7d1367ea68584141456d61afde26113

cebf14838bdba03808d33f2b4ce51d04--wwii-military-aircraft

I have this decal sheet too;

13663_0_DPC7225_1

And an excellent Rising Sun Decal`s sheet,.... which I`ll photograph when I dig it out,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

Hiya Folks,

Here is the obligatory kit/ box art photo, taken yesterday;

DSCF4563

And after an evening of watching the footie and pre painting,..... finished off this morning,.... here is the model ready to start assembly;

DSCF4564DSCF4566DSCF4565

I used Humbrol Grass Green rattle can for the interior!

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, zegeye said:

Very nice start. And very good choice of cammo. But the decal you have, are not Rising sun but DP Casper. These are different companies.

I think Tony was saying he has a Rising Sun decal sheet as well as the DP Casper one he was showing.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

Yes,.... cheers for explaining Tbolt,.... I know that this is the DP Caspar sheet  Zegeye,.... and I do also have a Rising Sun Decal`s sheet too,....I`m just struggling to find it! I may have to fall back on the DP Caspar sheet, which I don`t particularly want to do on the P-47 due to the complex fuselage for the stripes to cover,...... Rising Sun have them cut to size.

I came to post some quick construction photos tonight showing the cockpit interior before the fuselage halves were joined,...... however the camera and computer appear to have had a brain fart between them both and the photos are lost!!! I`ve joined the fuselage and built the wings tonight too,... so they cannot be re taken!

Oh well!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Hiya Folks,

Well having lost the construction photo`s as explained above,..... here is how the model looks this morning;

DSCF4607_NEW

And to make up for the missing cockpit shots,....here it is in situ;

DSCF4608_NEW

And,.... here are my other 1st Air Commando models;

DSCF4589_NEW

All the best,

Tony

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Slow down will you, you're making the rest of us look bad ;)

Hi Tbolt

Don't worry Tony as an army of elves who help him in all his builds ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice Tony and good work so far.

I thought you would be doing a SEAC one for this GB, though you have plenty of time yet I suppose 🙂.

Cheers Bud,...... well the thing is,.... I already have quite a few RAF SEAC Thunderbolt`s already,........ I might build another but I`m struggling for room to put things now! 

Well,.... I`ve still not found the Rising Decals sheet which is a bummer,..... so I`ll probably have to fall back on the Op Thursday sheet,.... which I`m not looking forward to! Here is the model after it was painted using rattle can bare metal;

DSCF4652

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

• 3 years later...

Back from the shelf of doom,....... I have added an Olive Drab anti glare panel and a dark blue nose ring to this P-47, followed by a coat of clear gloss varnish,..... readyfor the decals;

DSCF2948.jpg

I`m thinking of doing thiS aircraft,..... Bar Fly,..... not keen on the name of the other option!;

new-version-p47-man.jpg

43189223091-a5e598b507-b.jpg

p47-dad-full-size-plane.jpg

Those individual fuselage stripes may be a challenge,...... so this could end up being a very different P-47D,...... wish me luck LOL!!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Here is the P-47 with the decals finished,...... it was rather fiddly!!

DSCF2965-NEW.jpg

And some other projects on the go!

DSCF2967-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1