American Airlines A319 Build & Questions

I recently purchased a Revell British Airways A319 to build, and this will be my first foray into the model plane world, my normal habitat being model trains. I'm going to build the kit as American Airlines N742PS, the PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) heritage livery. Other than the bottom of the wings, is there anything incorrect about the Revell kit, specifically for an American (ex US air) A319? Are there any detail parts you would suggest adding to improve detail/the look of the model? In the train world weathering is very noticeable and in your face, what is an appropriate amount of weathering on an airliner? There are no decals available for the American version of the PSA livery, only the US Air version. Would you recommend painting the stripes on or designing some decals? Where could I find a smaller modern American Logo? Attached is an image (not mine) of the PSA scheme, and I should get the kit in the next few days.

N742PS | Airbus A319-112 | American Airlines (special PSA heritage livery)

Edited by PSA
grammar

Greetings PSA, and welcome tot he forums.

Firstly, this question would have probably been more appropriately posted in the 'Civil Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era>Modeen' forum where us anorak wearing airliner modellers hang out :D

Weathering depends on the airline, reference pictures are your friend, most airlines try and keep their airplanes pretty clean, the wings and lower fuselage will show the most dirt and grime.

There are etch detail sets available for the A320 family with replacement fan blades, antenna and pitot tubes, not sure of the manufacturer. There are few airliner guys here who will most likely chime in with other suggestions.

8aDecs (in Mexico) do the AA scheme, perhaps you could talk to Jon about a custom sheet, unless you are up to designing your own. If you paint the cheatline then you will need to find white decals for the registration number and door outlines.

Good luck with this, it's a nice scheme and I look forward to seeing how you go with it.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:24 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Greetings PSA, and welcome tot he forums.

Firstly, this question would have probably been more appropriately posted in the 'Civil Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era>Modeen' forum where us anorak wearing airliner modellers hang out :D

There are etch detail sets available for the A320
family with replacement fan blades, antenna and pitot tubes, not sure of the manufacturer. There are few airliner guys here who will most likely chime in with other suggestions.

8aDecs (in Mexico) do the AA scheme, perhaps you could talk to Jon about a custom sheet, unless you are up to designing your own. If you paint the cheatline then you will need to find white decals for the registration number and door outlines.

Oops, the more you know. Thanks for all the advice. I ordered an American A319 decal sheet for the windows and emergency exit arrows on the wings, I think I'll be able to use the door outline decals from that. 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, aeroplanedriver said:

Would decals from an American Eagle CRJ or E170 be closer to the correct size if you cut the "Eagle" off?

I'm not sure, looking at it they may work, but it's hard to tell from the images. I'll either give those a try or print my own out, TBD. 

The plane came in yesterday and I had a chance to open it up when I got home today. I've started filling windows, but will probably be working slowly since it seems nothing in this hobby is available in the USA and I ended up having to order most of the detail kits and decals from international hobby shops. Everything will take weeks to get here so I'm not in any particular rush. 

42380459725_fef7e33604_b.jpg

Edited by PSA
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, Skodadriver said:

Have you looked at Airline Hobby Supplies?   I find the suggestion that there is noting available in the USA rather surprising.

Dave G

I’ve found some stuff in the USA, but nothing for the A319. I’m just amazed at how little there is available compared to European sites. 

I finished what I could and am now awaiting the detail kit, so this’ll be stalled out for the next few weeks. I may end up doing a little more sanding of the fill, especially around the cockpit, but the join line on the fuselage was so uneven in some spots I feel like all that fill sanded to a slope is necessary to hide the obvious discrepancy. 

41521342250_31a90e0862_b.jpg

41521342300_99cc8edf2c_b.jpg

• Like 2