Ship kit recommendation?

As a mainly aircraft and tank modeller I'm looking for a new summer project and I'm thinking I want to build a ship. As I've started playing World of Warships I've started to take a interest in Dreadnought to WWII-era ships (hardly original!) but I feel a bit lost browsing the hobby shop sites in unfamiliar categories. I'm thinking something not too large or small or complicated or expensive and my idea of that is a model at about £25-35, 25-35 centimeters in length. Basically a 1/350 destroyer or a 1/700 battleship seem to fit the bill. Oh, and preferably full hull. PE is no hinder but excessive rigging might be... That part I'm scared of.

Criteria number one I think is that I want something tooled this century. Ship subjects in particular seem to be riddled with fifty year old molds sitting next to modern top-of-the line toolings. It's a jungle out there!

Trumpeter has no really "old" toolings so I've been looking in that direction but on the other hand they don't have the best reputation in general but the Z-25, Warspite and Dreadnought kits seem to get generally good reviews.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations they want to share?

• Like 1

This is something I want to achieve this year as well.  I have set aside the Trumpeter USS England kit.  It seems simple enough, not too big, so I can try a simple seabase.  I would also consider the type 23 as suggested, which again is a simple enough ship, with not that many sfiddly bits

Bruce

Hi Wizball,

You're right it is a minefield out there, but you can do some things to make it a bit easier. I would suggest trying Wonderland Models or Hannants or Hobby-boss as websites you can look for what you require first. While there are some really good model shops out there they are becoming a rarer and rarer beast these days. 

With regard to a subject to build, you're absolutely correct that in terms of ships 1/350 scale tends to have the biggest choice and also the biggest choice of upgrades and PE. With regard to question about tooling, this is where the internet comes into its own, enter your choice of ship on a model site or Mr Google and when you open the description of the model it will say new tooling if that is the case. New tooling is not always a given with any model and happens for usually specific reasons. 

As to subject, you could always try a mayflower corvette from WWII or something from 'The battle of the river plate', one of the British cruisers or the 'beast' of Commodore Harwood the Admiral Graf Spee. Hope this gives you a little food for thought. 

If you are looking for reviews on ship kits and accessories then check out our own review section here.

To help get more for less then check out the second hand section in Kingkit.  The link it for 1:350 ship kits but it is easy enough to amend the criteria to whatever scale you wish.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies! Some of the suggestions are unfortunately outside the Dreadnought to WWII-era I was shooting for but they do seem to be great kits.

Browsing the review section I get the feeling, and no one is protesting, that Trumpeter is quite likely what I want. I do spot a fairly new Revell Dresden and/or Emden that also fit the bill as they are represented in World of Warships, a plus for me at least.

If you're going Trumpeter, take care to read @Shar2 's excellent and informed reviews.  As he says, they have a hit and miss attitude to accuracy, often promising a lot but disappointing once the parts are in your hands.  If Shar2 hasn't been too rude about it, buy with confidence.  The 1/700 Dreadnought escapes quite lightly, for example.

Have a look at Academy's 1/350 Warspite too. It's much cheaper than Trumpeter's. You could also consider Dreadnought or Graf Spee, which are less expensive and about the right size compared to other 1/350 capital ships.

Trumpeter is a bit of a love-hate relationship. The make subjects that nobody else has before. That's good. They also tend to screw a lot of them up, sometimes badly. That's bad. They are usually highly detailed, and sometimes that detail is reminiscent of the real ship's details - not always though - some times it's merely clutter to make it look busy but ficticious.

Sometimes they make a mainstream kit of a subject that already existed from a smaller manufacturer and push the little guy's product out of the market place - e.g. Tribal class destroyer, which is a shame because WEM's kit was superior to Trumpeter's which needs sawn apart to make it Tribal shaped. Some of Trumpeter's stuff is pretty good though - e.g. their 1/200 Nelson class. Trumpeter don't care about subject matter research. If they happen to choose a reference that happens to be correct and clear the kit will be decent - but they're just as happy to copy obvious errors too - even making new mistakes on the same subject they have already tooled in a different scale previously.

Revell's German destroyers are quite nice. The best 1/350 British WW2 destroyer kits are Atlantic Models' lovely resin kits, which used to be WEM. These are over your budget though.

There is far more choice in 1/700 scale than any other, but the models can be a bit fiddly; I don't spend much time doing 1/700.

They doesn't quite meet the "this century" criteria, but I think Airfix's Repulse and KGV are generally considered worthwhile. And they are Airfix's most recent ships, at only 35 years (except the 350s, of course). OK, to the world beating 600 scale, but then if you want a solitaire only... Should be around in quantity at a good price, and both will easily be enhanced aplying Raven/Roberts.

As has been said before, the Revell Z looks nice in the box (are the Zvezda ? Think they are moulded in Russia).

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Trumpeter is a bit of a love-hate relationship. The make subjects that nobody else has before. That's good. They also tend to screw a lot of them up, sometimes badly. That's bad. They are usually highly detailed, and sometimes that detail is reminiscent of the real ship's details - not always though - some times it's merely clutter to make it look busy but ficticious.

Roberts class ?

45 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Roberts class ?

See Shar2's 2014 review (for some reason I can no longer copy and paste the url of BM threads on this site like I used to).  It exemplifies Jamie's comments.  To quote Shar2, "yet again Trumpeter have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".  Good choice of subject though: let's hope they get it right when they do it in 1/700.

7 hours ago, tempestfan said:

They doesn't quite meet the "this century" criteria, but I think Airfix's Repulse and KGV are generally considered worthwhile. And they are Airfix's most recent ships, at only 35 years (except the 350s, of course). OK, to the world beating 600 scale, but then if you want a solitaire only... Should be around in quantity at a good price, and both will easily be enhanced aplying Raven/Roberts.

As has been said before, the Revell Z looks nice in the box (are the Zvezda ? Think they are moulded in Russia).

"This century" was merely a guideline - I at least want to try and avoid kits older than me like the Revell "northsea trawler" that's still sold today. That said I can't understand why any manufacturer hasn't kitted "Northwestern" of "Deadliest Catch" fame! Free tip right here!

According to scalemates the Revell 1936 class destroyer *is* the Zvezda kit. No problem with that and it seem like a worthwhile kit to consider.

Accuracy is great but it's not a top priority for a fun summer project so I won't let that scare me off Trumpeter. I do know about their reputation from the aircraft kits I'm more familiar with! It's a pity they don't care too much. Frustrating, since they kit a lot of interesting subjects.

You might want to consider Tamiya , Pit Road , Aoshima and Fine Molds ( of Japan ) , plus Showcase Models of Australia do a lovely V & W Class Destroyer HMAS Vendetta in 1/350

I advise 1/350 as the details are easier to work with , and view with the naked eye ( rather than 1/700 ) - Trumpeter are good , and their Tribal Class

is good  ( if you add 3mm to the front of the bow - to add Sheer or a Raised Bow  ) you can correct the errors , note also ditch the kit 8 barrel pom-pom and fit the North Star aftermarket 4 barrel pompom instead

plus buy Shapeways kit boats ( the kit one look German )

ps - ""  Revell 1936 class destroyer *is* the Zvezda kit. No problem with that and it seem like a worthwhile kit to consider.  ""

sorry - but That Kit is a dog and has NO after market detail etch set to bring it to life  or make it worthwhile - with a comprehensive super detail etch and barrel set , ship kits are not the same

an out of box Ship Model is a poor relation to that of a Super Detailed Ship Model - in almost all cases

Edited by 73north

8 minutes ago, 73north said:

You might want to consider Tamiya , Pit Road , Aoshima and Fine Molds ( of Japan ) , plus Showcase Models of Australia do a lovely V & W Class Destroyer HMAS Vendetta in 1/350

I advise 1/350 as the details are easier to work with , and view with the naked eye ( rather than 1/700 ) - Trumpeter are good , and their Tribal Class

is good  ( if you add 3mm to the front of the bow - to add Sheer or a Raised Bow  ) you can correct the errors , note also ditch the kit 8 barrel pom-pom and fit the North Star aftermarket 4 barrel pompom instead

plus buy Shapeways kit boats ( the kit one look German )

ps - ""  Revell 1936 class destroyer *is* the Zvezda kit. No problem with that and it seem like a worthwhile kit to consider.  ""

sorry - but That Kit is a dog and has NO after market detail etch set to bring it to life  or make it worthwhile - with a comprehensive super detail etch and barrel set , ship kits are not the same

an out of box Ship Model is a poor relation to that of a Super Detailed Ship Model - in almost all cases

This is available now :)

img_PE35185.jpg

White Ensign Models PE35185:

WEM 1/350 scale German destroyer set for the Revell and Zvezda kits of Z-17 Diether von Roeder.

Set contains: Railings, Yardarm Footropes, Motor Boat Fore Deck Railings, FuMo21 Radar Antenna Assembly, FuMo23/24 Radar Antenna Assembly, Funnel Cap Grill (Aft Funnel), Yardarm Footropes (Fore Mast), Mine Rail Tracks, Cordage Reels, Capstan Handwheels, Torpedo Control Position Asembly (Early), FuMo63 Radar Antenna Assembly, Goal Post Fore Mast Base Assembly, Bridge Wing Supports, Bridge Wing Supports (Altenative), Motor Boat Cradles, Propeller Guards (Large),Torpedo Loading Gantries, Funnel Cap Grill (Fore Funnel), Fore Funnel Cap Handrails, FuMb 7 Radar Sensors (Sumatra), Fore Mast Aerial Spreader Rails, Fore Mast Aerial Spreader, Foremast Footropes, 3.7cm DoppelFlak Cannon, Deck Hatches, 2cm Single Flak C38, Life Raft Plates, Inclined Ladders (Bridge Wing), Motor Boat Canopy, Flak Veirling Assembly, Cable Reels , Inclined Ladders (Aft Deck Step and Aft Gun Deck), Gun Deck Side Netting, Watrtight Doors, Anchor Chain and more.

• Like 1