Ridiculous Fitting Tamiya 1:48 F-14A Tomcat !

Tiger331

Figured this would be a good place to post, but my 2nd Tamiya viper kit so far isn't great. Lots of flash and the fitment isn't as good as the other kit.  It is marked as 2007 on the sprues, so I wonder if it's an older tooling?

18 hours ago, planehazza said:

Figured this would be a good place to post, but my 2nd Tamiya viper kit so far isn't great. Lots of flash and the fitment isn't as good as the other kit.  It is marked as 2007 on the sprues, so I wonder if it's an older tooling?

Not sure what to make of this. The original Tamiya F-16 kit was issued in 1976 and, IIRC, portrays a prototype or pre-production jet. The first of the 'new generation' Tamiya F-16 kits was issued in 2007 (as per your post) with the F-16CJ Block 50 variant, which was followed by three subsequent re-boxings to portray different variants/blocks and/or markings. All of the 2007 onwards kits feature faultless construction and I have never seen any flash on any of the 10+ examples I have in my collection. 

• Thanks 1

Here are some follow up photos to confirm that once cemented in place, the fit between the forward and rear fuselage is superb. I have now fitted the forward base plate which needed a tiny bit of filler. On my next kit, I may depart from the build sequence and cement this to the forward fuselage BEFORE bringing the two major parts together. I'm not really sure why Tamiya suggest placing this part after joining the major components.

fullsizeoutput_ea1

fullsizeoutput_ea3

fullsizeoutput_ea4

I am also doing a F-16CJ, block 50 and having no problems with it. Whenever you need a break from filling and sanding, filling and sanding etc. Tamiya kits are a great break from all that.

Robert

• Like 1

I luv this kit, just finishing the A model with a few alterations to represent Mav and Goose from TopGun. All I need to do now is get a D. Have to wait until September when the Mrs, a teacher, goes back to work so I can sneak it in

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to get hold of a brace of the F-14D Tomcat variant. A couple of curious, if minor, anomalies appear to have crept in to this release. The inclusion of a fourth decal marking option, for an early VF-11 jet was an unexpected but nice surprise - I cannot find any pre-release references online to confirm this - in fact one photo actually shows a conscious attempt to blank out the VF-11 option on the decal sheet. It is also omitted from the box top where Tamiya nearly always includes all of the decal options contained in the particular boxing. There is also one, very small, reference to the AN/ALQ-167 pod which is included on one of the new F-14D specific sprues. There is no coverage of this pod in the kit instructions; only on the supplementary information sheet showing weapons/equipment fits. From past experience, it is highly unusual for Tamiya to make errors on their kit instructions which leads me to believe that they may have rushed this kit out a bit earlier than planned in order to steal a march on the imminent Avantgarde release. Don't get me wrong, its still a superb product and very much in line with their previous release of the F-14A. Hopefully the -14B and -14A+ will follow too !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Finally managed to get hold of a brace of the F-14D Tomcat variant. A couple of curious, if minor, anomalies appear to have crept in to this release. The inclusion of a fourth decal marking option, for an early VF-11 jet was an unexpected but nice surprise - I cannot find any pre-release references online to confirm this - in fact one photo actually shows a conscious attempt to blank out the VF-11 option on the decal sheet. It is also omitted from the box top where Tamiya nearly always includes all of the decal options contained in the particular boxing. There is also one, very small, reference to the AN/ALQ-167 pod which is included on one of the new F-14D specific sprues. There is no coverage of this pod in the kit instructions; only on the supplementary information sheet showing weapons/equipment fits. From past experience, it is highly unusual for Tamiya to make errors on their kit instructions which leads me to believe that they may have rushed this kit out a bit earlier than planned in order to steal a march on the imminent Avantgarde release. Don't get me wrong, its still a superb product and very much in line with their previous release of the F-14A. Hopefully the -14B and -14A+ will follow too !

Check the fine print near the start of the instructions; it will list parts not in use. If they're not there then it's very strange indeed!

• 3 weeks later...

Success! Slight problem though, the box is bigger than the A model. Need to re-arrange a little to make it look as though it's been in my stash a while. If my Mrs ever craks my password to BM I'll be under the patio before I know what's happening!?! 😨

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Simon382 said:

Success! Slight problem though, the box is bigger than the A model. Need to re-arrange a little to make it look as though it's been in my stash a while. If my Mrs ever craks my password to BM I'll be under the patio before I know what's happening!?! 😨

Yeah.....I got caught out with the size of the box too. Not really too sure why they didn't go with a uniform size of box. The F-14A kit, whilst nicely packed in, was not overflowing from the box and I would not have thought the addition of some additional weapons/stores sprues and slightly larger exhaust nozzles would necessitate a much larger box...hey ho !.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe this but I may have a small gripe with this kit (hangs head in shame) Please Tamiya et al, can we please have a standard option re the decals please. I do enjoy the odd Cag bird but, for me at least, I much prefer a tatty line airframe. Yes, I am aware that this i simply me being picky, but out of four options just one could be a 'plain jane'. Rant over, back to my nemisis, an Airfix Bucc in 1/48. DO NOT GET ME STARTED 😭

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:20 AM, Simon382 said:

Kids and Mrs back to school today!!!!!! Credit card primed and ready, trip to lms this morning, F14D home by lunch time! Finally 😈

On 9/5/2018 at 11:49 AM, Simon382 said:

I hear ya brother 🙂

• Thanks 1

I’m enjoying the build so far Tiger331, I’ve now got the A and D awaiting bench space.

I see that Spencer Pollard is soon to be releasing a ‘How to build’ on the Tamiya Tomcats, a must for me. I have a few of his books in this series, for me he doesn’t let the modeller down with descriptive information and excellent pictures. So the new Tomcat book should be as much an accompaniment to the two cats as glue and paint. 

Cheers the Woo.

7 hours ago, Wafu said:

I’m enjoying the build so far Tiger331, I’ve now got the A and D awaiting bench space.

I see that Spencer Pollard is soon to be releasing a ‘How to build’ on the Tamiya Tomcats, a must for me. I have a few of his books in this series, for me he doesn’t let the modeller down with descriptive information and excellent pictures. So the new Tomcat book should be as much an accompaniment to the two cats as glue and paint. 

Cheers the Woo.

That I would really like to see. How does one go about ordering a book from him?

2 hours ago, whiskey said:

That I would really like to see. How does one go about ordering a book from him?

Hi Zach, I follow him on Facebook, so found out from his page.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wish they would do a Tornado! 

Looks amazing & I'm running out of excuses not to get one, and I don't even like the F-14 that much!

3 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I wish they would do a Tornado! 

Looks amazing & I'm running out of excuses not to get one, and I don't even like the F-14 that much!

A Tamiya Fin????? Oh yes please!  As for the excuses, give them up and go indulge yourself. Rest assured you will not be dissapointed 

• Haha 1