Spitfire Vb 111 Sqdn. - Airfix 1/48

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

You're not only a tool tart, you're a tool genius, Ced

Secondeded!

Lovely piece of lateral thinking there O'Tool.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Wow Ced 1/48 fits you like a glove. The detail in that cockpit is simply brilliant. 😱 The scratch parts and belts were deffo worth the effort. There’s nowt worse than having to cut back a well painted and finished IP to fit a pesky cover. 🤨 Taken in your stride so hats off to that. TonyTiger, I have seen pop up now and again and I follow Alex on Flickr, I think he still makes his LARGE scale flying machines, so all good but they are both missed. Keep up the splendid work Mr B.

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Dang right she is!

Thanks Thom :) 

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Did you have fun fitting the little bit between the elevators and rudder? I forgot to warn you about that.

John

Thanks John :) Yep, the elevator hinge (?) was fun! Drop it in, line it up, elevators move, repeat... I eventually bashed it into submission with TET.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

A spreading clamp! You're not only a tool tart, you're a tool genius, Ced :worthy:

She's absolutely looking Spitfire! :clap:

Ciao

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Secondeded!

Lovely piece of lateral thinking there O'Tool.

Thanks Giorgio and Tony :) The clamp is one of my cheap Proops plastic clamps with the self-tapping screw from the watch repairers kit, although any screw would do (fnaar fnaar!)

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow Ced 1/48 fits you like a glove. The detail in that cockpit is simply brilliant. 😱 The scratch parts and belts were deffo worth the effort. There’s nowt worse than having to cut back a well painted and finished IP to fit a pesky cover. 🤨 Taken in your stride so hats off to that. TonyTiger, I have seen pop up now and again and I follow Alex on Flickr, I think he still makes his LARGE scale flying machines, so all good but they are both missed. Keep up the splendid work Mr B.

Johnny.

Thanks Jont, very kind :) I don't think I'll be making a permanent scale switch (yet) but there are some more in my future...

Promised shot of the tiny step after spreading on the nose cover:

42826245934_5ded53ac49_z.jpg

I don't think I'll bother about the missing fasteners - I only bought this for the pilot, remember?

A bit of Sky splashed on the inside of things before assembly:

42826246164_b7e2330008_z.jpg

The 'plan' is to let the airbrush spray creep into the intakes, just like it would have done in real life (who am I kidding?) Note the wheel bay roof masks have been removed ready for Night.

Late start this morning as I've been listening to the programme about the Berlin air raid. On again this afternoon (R4X) and on iPlayer. They're also broadcasting the original programme this afternoon.

• Like 2

Cannons on, lined up with the wings:

29673484348_73f5406d42_z.jpg

LE tidied. Are these the outer guns poking through, or moulding problems?

42639891965_0c316ddbdd_z.jpg

I've also filled some small gaps. Ready for a clean down and mask up later.

• Like 7

It  look like an outer gun port to me, remember that they are not centred on the leading edge but slightly above the centreline,  if you know what I mean. They show up really well on the pictures from your flight.

When I fitted the elevator hinge (?), after several abortive attempts I drilled a small hole in the rear end ( fnar fnar ) and stuck a cocktail stick in it to use as a handle, sorry I forgot to tell you before.

Galloping on now, soon be time for paint.

John

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Are these the outer guns poking through, or moulding problems?

Moulding problem. Some early Spitfire's have protruding outer gun barrels, your subject does not.

Note doped patches

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27f344f.jpg?18

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

Thanks John and Thom :) Definitely a gun port; my question was really, does the barrel poke out?

Thanks Troy :) Quite right, it will be covered by a patch so I'll just hack it out.

Thanks guys.

Canopy masking tomorrow if I can find some mojo...

• Like 4

Gun bit hacked out. Windscreen and rear canopy attached. The rear was a bit springy so I taped it down while the Gator's Grip was drying:

41776263720_8970d5c209_z.jpg

Then realised I might pull the masking off when I removed the tape :doh: Carefully cut the tape across the top, trying not to cut the mask, and gently peeled it down off the model. Phew.

I saw a video on YouTube where the modeller used liquid mask so gave it a go. Hmmm. Maybe with a smaller brush, but I think it's going to need touch ups. We shall see. Open door also stuck in with latex glue:

43537414232_4cedee3af2_z.jpg

When that's dry I'll shove some sponge in and start painting!

I'm treating this as a bit of an experiment so I'm going to spray some camo on various bits as 'pre-shading' and then go for a scruffy Night coat.

Fingers crossed...

• Like 12

A 'scruffy night coat' sounds wonderfully evocative. 🤤

Kind of thing I used to wear myself as a student when you emerged 'tired and emotional' from a club at 3am and upon returning home,  realized that wasn't actually the jacket you'd gone out in...

• Haha 6

Thanks Tony - So you're the one who pinched my jacket :D 

Bits prepared for spraying:

42681187575_d49bab2cb0_z.jpg

Note that I've hand-painted some camo colours on bits that might wear. Hmmm. Into the booth and on with the Night (was that a song in the '70s?)

Crikey, these 1/48 take PAINT. I had to change my little bowl for a bigger one but finally it was done:

43586565491_20fef14bfa_z.jpg

Tricky to get something that looks worn rather than just a bad spray job... closer up:

43586574551_a00488fb31_z.jpg

I'll review when that's dry (in about two minutes in this heat...)

• Like 11

Thanks Haken, Giorgio and Hendie - we'll have a look in natural light in the morning...

Meanwhile, what I was after:

ju-h-w3848-jpg.304856

spit5-ju_h-jpg.304862

• Like 2

Looking good Ced. I totally agree with @hendie and @giemme. Waiting for daylight myself the other day while spraying black. It’s much easier to see what you’re doing in the day. Even though using a lamp regardless you can really see the variation.  Looking forward to more paint. You know I love the painting bit right. 😍

Jont.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Meanwhile, what I was after:

Ah, then I think you're just about there, pending the day light review. :thumbsup:

I forgot you posted those pics before ... :chair:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jont and Giorgio :) Being reviewed by the masters... gulp!

How about this in natural light?

42700773605_92cd8c8deb_z.jpg

42887506564_29aa9e60eb_z.jpg

I think I'm happy with that.

What I'm not happy about (yet) are the patches where I'd brushed some camo:

42700797595_5af3063bae_z.jpg

… and where I'd missed the trailing edges:

29735167118_8fcb941ed8_z.jpg

I'll have a go with the Micro-mesh and see what mess I can make of it.

While the black was drying I'd put an initial iron coat on the drilled out exhausts:

42700937465_9ff198f629_z.jpg

I've also started on the u/c. A bit paranoid about the handing, I assembled them on the sprue:

43557825612_2267373071_z.jpg

… but got caught out by flash on the tyres. How do others clean parts on the sprue before painting? Hmmm. One wheel's (re)done:

42700949935_c198ab430b_z.jpg

• Like 9

Judging by the B & W photos above, patchy seems to be lie look to go for but there are also some areas which appear to be slightly shiny, probably where panels were regularly handled or brushed against by oily overalls.

We all miss the trailing edges don't we? It's also one of the favourite areas to hold after painting.

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

… but got caught out by flash on the tyres. How do others clean parts on the sprue before painting? Hmmm. One wheel's (re)done:

Carefully Ced LOL.

Looking good sir, as for missing bits while painting, whats new.

I do it a lot of the time.

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks John :) Shiny bits? Tough crowd... Knowing others miss the trailing edges helps a lot; do you also get paint on your fingers handling it too soon?

Thanks Simon :) Another comforting post, thanks!

I'm rushing to the end on this as I'm keen to start the Eduard Lysander I promised Hendie I would do next. Must take care.

Wheels done OOB:

41798809540_8c1e7bc5ae_z.jpg

Thinned anti-rust applied to the exhausts:

41798823110_8a0a064d09_z.jpg

'That'll do' chipping on the wing root and some panels:

43607039151_230be4d6f9_z.jpg

Despite patient rubbing with Micro-mesh the camo paint didn't really show through. The Colourcoats is nice and tough and, to be honest, I probably didn't let the camo dry for long enough so I expect it's blended in a bit. Ho hum.

On with the transfers then after the compulsory Keith-and-Bill-mde-me-do-it Klear (but just where the transfers go). I think the Airfix transfers work well with DecalFix; it seems to suck them down and soften them pretty quickly. With that in mind I soaked the gun covers, waited for them to soften and then brushed them down:

42704796675_d2c69ac5b9_n.jpg 42891355164_6b3005f76d_n.jpg

Let's hope they stick. Other transfers on:

42704874615_06dce41993_z.jpg

Will they silver? Da da daaaaahhhh.... more in the next episode.

Did I tell you I've started the Lysander?

Mustn't rush to the end as it'll spoilt the whole build... bit sick of black now to be honest :sick:

• Like 11

Very nice. When I did mine a few years ago, it was before I started using an airbrush. Once I brush painted the "night", I  very lightly dry brushed the camo colours on where there would be the most wear; engine covers, leading edges and cockpit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Roger and fubar - nearly there! :) 

Did it silver?

43563879702_f9f6eec030_n.jpg 29741234808_c4372931a3_n.jpg

Rats. Bumps where the hatch hinges are. The gun covers are in the wrong place too. I'd lined them up with the covers on the wings, not the holes...

42893669074_74dc31ef62_z.jpg

Double rats.

Needle point, Daco Strong:

41804601070_92f9e8d2e8_n.jpg 43612151541_7ba3b66aba_n.jpg

Sorted. Out with the Rizlas (steady boys)

41804590830_d12cdf8069_z.jpg

Better let all that dry before fiddling any more.

• Like 11