Spitfire Vb 111 Sqdn. - Airfix 1/48

9 hours ago, CedB said:

The film was introduced by the lovely Carol Vorderman and she also did an interview session after the showing. If your blood pressure can take it, Google 'carol vorderman spitfire film' for images of the dress. Good grief! That should get the (almost) normal discussion going on the correct position for the bulges...

...and long-range ferry tanks.

AW

• Haha 4

So, where are we...

Comments from Giorgio, CC, Keith, AW and John on the film and, ahem, the lovely Carol :D Thanks chaps.

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Carol appears to have gotten trapped in the net curtains on the way out of the house.

- At least we now have a suitable subject to go on the next £20 note.

But enough of this frivolity : what were you wearing Ced?

Thanks for asking Tony :) 

I wasn't actually at the premier, of course, just at one of the 200+ cinemas 'streaming' the interviews and film so I didn't need to wear anything 'red carpet'. With this heat I just wore my Ralph Lauren cargo shorts and one of my 'Blanc du Nil' cotton shirts.

I first saw the shirts in La Rochelle market when the company was starting up; the very good looking couple had a stall in the market street. I was my usual 'hot Brit abroad' and their fine cotton shirts looked ideal for hot days. I was worried that, if I bought them and they didn't fit, I wouldn't be able to send them back as they'd only just started their mail order business. The solution proposed by the gorgeous, vivacious blonde owner was to guide me behind one of the racks and whip my top off. "Imagine my surprise" as they used to say in... well, you know where. Needless to say I bought a few (ahem) and they're a boon in this weather.

Where was I?  Come on Ced, focus!

Harnesses!

Slow progress, but I'm getting there. As Iain suggested I'm waiting until I have the right frame of mind and doing as much as I can before the inhaled curses get too much.

Both lap belts are on:

42584697705_fd2659f2ae_z.jpg

I couldn't find out exactly where the belts were anchored so, after searching fruitlessly for pictures, realised NO ONE WILL SEE THEM and just stuck them on the sides.

These bits are now drying:

43441576412_78942766af_z.jpg

Nearly there, thank goodness. I seem to have used nearly all of my things-that-hold-small-things and the bench is quite 'busy':

42584731355_01188fcd84_z.jpg

I've also taken precautions against the work so far blowing away if the open window actually gets a breeze (please, oh please!):

41681499810_169f0faf50_z.jpg

Another session or two and I should be back to the plastic...

• Like 9

Looking the part already, Ced :clap: 

I did spot some debris on top of the seat, where you cut the slot for the harness open; I guess you just need to blow them away, but you may want to check them ... 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Harnesses!

Slow progress, but I'm getting there. As Iain suggested I'm waiting until I have the right frame of mind and doing as much as I can before the inhaled curses get too much.

Both lap belts are on:

42584697705_fd2659f2ae_z.jpg

I couldn't find out exactly where the belts were anchored so, after searching fruitlessly for pictures, realised NO ONE WILL SEE THEM and just stuck them on the sides.

These bits are now drying:

43441576412_78942766af_z.jpg

Nearly there, thank goodness. I seem to have used nearly all of my things-that-hold-small-things and the bench is quite 'busy':

Hello Ced,

The way I used to do, I glue it on the lower side of the seat.

What was more easy is to have this pesky harness through the buckles in letting it on the PE fret..

And then, when you have the :rant: harness right in place, then cuttng the buckle from the fret...

However, it is more easy to work with the whole fret, especially when you're big and large fingered...

The way I'm.

Good job indeed Ced ! 👍

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ced,

And pay a look at this, No photos ???

We are lucky enough to have a great Walkaround on here !!

Whatever, the lower corner is the right place, well almost !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

And pay a look at this, No photos ???

We are lucky enough to have a great Walkaround on here !!

Whatever, the lower corner is the right place, well almost !

Sincerely.

CC

What did happen to AlexN? The photos are very nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

What did happen to AlexN? The photos are very nice.

sorry Benedikt,

I can't answer, He has vanished from the scopes, I don't know the reason.

Just like Tony Tiger...

Hope that everything go well for them.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

Thanks Giorgio :) Debris now removed and the slot cleaned up - thanks!

Thanks John - I hope the DVD gets on the birthday list for September :) 

Thanks CC :) Great tips, thanks. I think the harness in the walk around is the later harness as it has the wide lap pads (listen to me, sounds like I know what I'm taking about!). Pity as that set is enough for two models.

Hi Benedikt - I'm not sure what happened to Alex; he was getting more involved with his music and I think he got frustrated with his efforts :( 

I've done a bit more this morning but Flickr's down - bad panda!

• Sad 1

Flickr's back.

Spot the problem with parts 6&7

29631551038_9df4c69e65_z.jpg

... no little tag on the top. Rats. Not to worry, I'll just jam them in.

Almost ready for final assembly:

29631726468_204d627f5c_z.jpg

Very very thin straps for the fastener and one has crimped, strangely. Hopefully it'll glue down.

• Like 7

On 7/18/2018 at 7:18 PM, TheBaron said:

Google 'carol vorderman spitfire film

Buxom wench isn't she. :D

On 7/18/2018 at 2:33 AM, CedB said:

Off to the cinema tonight to see this:

Thanks for putting that up Ced, a must see, poignant too in that both Joy Lofthouse & Tom Neil have departed for bluer skies, they'll be in good company.

Steve.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You're getting there, keep going.

The DVD is already on the birthday list, although SWMBO tells me not to expect anything for a couple of years after the Spitfire flight!

John

Thanks John :) I hope you DO get the DVD. How's the Spitfire video going?

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Battle of the Belts almost won Ced, we all knew you'd be victorious (again!) in the end!

Keith

Thanks Keith for the confidence boost! :) 

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Belts are coming together nicely, they make a great difference to the seat/cockpit area!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Buxom wench isn't she. :D

Thanks for putting that up Ced, a must see, poignant too in that both Joy Lofthouse & Tom Neil have departed for bluer skies, they'll be in good company.

Steve.

You're welcome Steve :) 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Getting there, Ced :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - there at last! (See below) :) 

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

As above. Great and very realistic.

Thanks Benedikt :) 

Finally they're done and on the seat:

43456516342_8ea30c595e_z.jpg

43504330121_2c26650910_z.jpg

They do look nice but they're an absolute pain... my poor eyes!

With the adhesive not working I found it hard to get enough glue so things stuck but not so much that the fabric went stiff. You can see from the tiny fastener straps that, surprisingly, the 'fabric' also doesn't hang that well - I've had to glue the bits down in places. Also, the PE 'holes' make the belts very stiff. I've also used the 'nasty tape', now renamed 'good for belts tape', for the bits that go around the straps just below the buckles - a fairly good match. All in all I think PE belts might be less trouble but I have another set for the planned Hurricane :( 

With that done I could get the cockpit assembled. Chanting 'Airfix New Tool, clean the joins' the i/p, floor and radiator flap control were stuck in:

43508792361_b747f5dc30_z.jpg

… and left to dry:

41700680290_21a535cdff_z.jpg

Berna clamps, I love 'em. I then realised that the front bulkhead holds the bits together:

29637764328_5388e9ec7d_z.jpg

… although I was a bit worried about the step on the side until I saw it on the instructions. Other bits assembled:

42605014535_74349fd3d3_z.jpg

Note the fuse wire cable for the harness. Quick dry fit to make sure things are aligned:

43462338972_671fee23c2_z.jpg

Nice. The 'pit was then glued in and a lump of sprue glued to the rear of the fuselage to hold the cable:

42605303825_5d47e93c88_z.jpg

Now the belts are done I think I'll start enjoying it again and be able to push on, although I think we're out for the day tomorrow.

• Like 15

Lovely work Ced. 

're the belts I've just done some on my 1/24 spit in the airfix group build. They were a pain in that scale so hats off to you for persevering with them  in 48.  

I wasn't sure where the lap belts went either so plumped for a similar position to you. As you say they won't be seen so it's not the end of the world. 

Looking forward to the rest of your work. 

Cheers 🐜

• Thanks 1