Spitfire Vb 111 Sqdn. - Airfix 1/48

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Glad THE wedding went well, and hope that all traces of hangover have gone.

looking forward to more progress.

John

PS have you seen the solid wood Spitfire build by Redshift? It's worth a look.

Thanks John :) Strangely I didn't have a hangover when I woke on Sunday morning, despite the 'celebrations' during the evening (and early morning...)

It was only around lunchtime on Sunday that I realised that, ahem, perhaps I was still a little inebriated.

Now following the wooden Spitfire, thanks for pointing me at it.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Glad you all had a great day Ced, instantly brought back memories of our daughter's big day - it also reminded me it was 9 years ago on the 1st August!! Where has the time gone?!

Keith

55 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Keith,

I Don't know where the time has gone but I worry about how fast he keep going….

Especially after ones 50th birthday….😰

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Keith and CC :) Time flies eh? Best make the most of it.

I've finished one lap belt:

29572261928_3e137f7576_z.jpg

... and started on the other:

41635501410_41fcf60c70_z.jpg

John's advice about working with the PE on the fret is good - just don't forget to cut the part off the 'sprue' which is UNDER the bit you're glueing.

It's a task this. The belts look great before you start assembly but the glue's not working, the parts are tiny and trying to position them after assembly is frustrating - they seem to disobey all the rules of physics, dropping UP, twisting against the turn of the tweezers etc etc. I shall persevere but I'm not sure they're going to be on my 'favourite AM' list.

Another tip by the way. Try to use Anglo-Saxon that doesn't start with 'F' or 'P' or any other exclamation that produces a draft - if you don't the twisting, non-sticky part you're trying to apply under maximum magnification will blow across the bench, never to be seen again...

• Like 9

Glad you had a great time (at the wedding), but sorry to hear you had a hard time (with those devilish belts). Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll prevail 👍🏻

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Another tip by the way. Try to use Anglo-Saxon that doesn't start with 'F' or 'P' or any other exclamation that produces a draft - if you don't the twisting, non-sticky part you're trying to apply under maximum magnification will blow across the bench, never to be seen again...

Good to know :thumbsup:  I think I'll stick to Italian cursing, then .... :rofl:  :coat: 

Ciao

• Haha 3

Hey Ced

I feel your pain.

These types of belts do look great when they are completed, but they are a nightmare to assemble. I too assemble them with the photoetch still attached to the sprue and I tend to use a small amount of CA to initially stick the fabric in the desired position then use Gator glue to permanently fix it, to be honest I tend to replace the 'Fabric belts' with masking tape and only use the photo etch parts, using the Fabric belts only as templates as I find that masking tape is much more forgiving and easier to work with.

The other thing that I have found whilst assembling seat belts (in any scale) is that I have to be in the right frame of mind and allow myself as much time as is needed to assemble them even it means that I take a couple of sessions to complete them.

Stick at it mate your doing a grand job!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Phil :) I have some debonair stuff somewhere but I'd only applied a tiny amount of CA so not a problem... I've switched to Gator's Grip but that's not grabbing. Rats

Gah! Sorry about that Ced. It worked for me. Not sure what’s different? 🤔

Glad you had a nice weekend though. It’ll all come together in the end. Looking great to boot. 🤩

John,

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

😱

Wait till you see how fast it goes after your 60th CC....!!! :D

Keith 

😱😱OMG !!

I have my bag filled now, knowing since 3 weeks that I will became a grand father 😓

I'll make more models before being a true old man....

My body remind very oftenly of that !! 

Thanks a lot Keith !  :cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Ced

I feel your pain.

These types of belts do look great when they are completed, but they are a nightmare to assemble. I too assemble them with the photoetch still attached to the sprue and I tend to use a small amount of CA to initially stick the fabric in the desired position then use Gator glue to permanently fix it, to be honest I tend to replace the 'Fabric belts' with masking tape and only use the photo etch parts, using the Fabric belts only as templates as I find that masking tape is much more forgiving and easier to work with.

The other thing that I have found whilst assembling seat belts (in any scale) is that I have to be in the right frame of mind and allow myself as much time as is needed to assemble them even it means that I take a couple of sessions to complete them.

Cheers

Iain

Seconded !

I used these seatbelts on my Corsair... Aaaand I still have 3 in the pack since I went back to Eduard PE :whistle:

Good to know Ced, that you had some pleasant Week End !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Try to use Anglo-Saxon that doesn't start with 'F' or 'P' or any other exclamation that produces a draft

I'm a recent convert to the inward exclamation Ced - it's kind of like mindfulness training in that you have to discipline yourself to prouduce the required Anglo-Saxon expletive on the in-drawn breath, the F not being silent.

Marvelling at your patience with those straps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/07/2018 at 12:45, giemme said:

Glad you had a great time (at the wedding), but sorry to hear you had a hard time (with those devilish belts). Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll prevail 👍🏻

Good to know :thumbsup:  I think I'll stick to Italian cursing, then .... :rofl:  :coat: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I am persevering! :D 

On 16/07/2018 at 13:31, keefr22 said:

Wait till you see how fast it goes after your 60th CC....!!! :D

Keith

Indeed! But it's like fine wine eh? Gets better with age :whistle:

On 16/07/2018 at 13:32, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Ced

I feel your pain.

Cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain :) Good tip... I may resort to the tape soon!

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Good to here you had a great weekend with your beloved. The belt looks very nice, altough it looks like real punishment to assemble them. Good news : It's not a B-17. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt! :D 

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Gah! Sorry about that Ced. It worked for me. Not sure what’s different? 🤔

Glad you had a nice weekend though. It’ll all come together in the end. Looking great to boot. 🤩

John,

Not to worry Jont :) I don't think the adhesive on the fabric is working in this heat, or maybe it's just dried out...

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

😱😱OMG !!

I have my bag filled now, knowing since 3 weeks that I will became a grand father 😓

I'll make more models before being a true old man....

My body remind very oftenly of that !! 

Thanks a lot Keith !  :cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Seconded !

I used these seatbelts on my Corsair... Aaaand I still have 3 in the pack since I went back to Eduard PE :whistle:

Good to know Ced, that you had some pleasant Week End !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC and congrats on the Grandchild :D 

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Congratulations CC!! I have two grandaughters, they're great!!

Keith

Good to hear Keith, apparently there are 'plans', but not for a few years yet :) 

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm a recent convert to the inward exclamation Ced - it's kind of like mindfulness training in that you have to discipline yourself to prouduce the required Anglo-Saxon expletive on the in-drawn breath, the F not being silent.

Marvelling at your patience with those straps!

Thanks Tony, I shall practice the inward expletive! :D 

Today's mojo used up on this:

41660959940_9dda0b3626_z.jpg

Off to the cinema tonight to see this:

Exciting!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Keep calm and carry on  ( making seat belts ).

Great trailer, I'm sure you will agree with one particular  Geoffrey Wellum comment, as I do. I also liked the comment from the ATA lady. Steve Jones called it a shopping trolley on the ground.

Enjoy the film , I'll probably have to wait for Netflix or the DVD.

john

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Biggles87 said:

Enjoy the film , I'll probably have to wait for Netflix or the DVD.

Ditto on the DVD - three cinemas in Cardiff showing it, neither of the multi screens in Swansea are bothering. Wales' 'second city' is really a backwater sometimes!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Why did'nt I live in U.K ???

This film will never hit the theater here... Damn it !

So I'll wait for the DVD too....

2 month that I look at the trailer with envy...

I did hope that they can put it online in a few weeks but seemingly, there's no plans for this... 😓

Now are they going to make one about the Hurricane ??? That will be fair too !!

I wish you a great time Ced in watching the film Ced... And may be some goosebumps...

And rememberance of your own flight....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spitfire looks great! Your belt and the film. 😀 it was our daughters year six leavers prom and awards do tonight so unfortunately no cinema for me. I need to watch that though. Just before I undertake that Tamiya 1:32. 😍

Johnny

• Like 2

Thanks Keith, Giorgio, Simon, John, CC, Dennis and Johnny :) 

It's a GREAT film, full of aerial shots of currently flying Spitfires AND Hurricanes, interviews with pilots old and new and, for once, including Malta and the V1 intercepts.

According to their website it's on digital (iTunes) from Friday but the DVD won't be out until September.

The film was introduced by the lovely Carol Vorderman and she also did an interview session after the showing. If your blood pressure can take it, Google 'carol vorderman spitfire film' for images of the dress. Good grief! That should get the (almost) normal discussion going on the correct position for the bulges...

Prizes may be awarded for the first person to correctly guess the size of the nozzle used to airbrush the dress on :Tasty:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Prizes may be awarded for the first person to correctly guess the size of the nozzle used to airbrush the dress on :Tasty:

Who cares about the nozzle, I'd rather want to know who's the lucky b.....d that did the airbrushing .... :rofl:

Glad you enjoyed the film, Ced :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, CedB said:

If your blood pressure can take it, Google 'carol vorderman spitfire film' for images of the dress. Good grief!

Carol appears to have gotten trapped in the net curtains on the way out of the house.

- At least we now have a suitable subject to go on the next £20 note.

But enough of this frivolity : what were you wearing Ced?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the report Ced !

Now waiting for September… Mmmh Wait !! Birthday in september….

I will suggest it to SWMBO but she better would not have a look at Carol Vorderman….

That will create some arguing !!! Thank for the tip Ced !

Very glad that you've enjoyed it !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2