Spitfire Vb 111 Sqdn. - Airfix 1/48

Just realised I need to change the title now I've changed the scheme - done!

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Remember the sun screen when out Ced.

Good work on the start sir.

Nice guy Johnny, saves you some hassle moulding crew.

P.S. You right about the morons who drive in storms.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

19 hours ago, Christer A said:

The dreaded Airfix mold separation lines!😬

Good luck with those, but remember to attack them vigorously whenever you see them (and they're on almost every part) since they have a nasty tendency to move everything out of alignment.

Nice start on the cockpit innards, nevertheless!

Thanks Christer - I think I'll just settle down with the Molding Flash Sanders and do all the sprues... has to be done :)

18 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice start looking forward to seeing more

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looks nice Ced Also congrats from me to your wife. Have a nice day together. Cheers

Thanks Benedikt :) 

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Well, The Spad is definitely a nice guy :thumbsup:  Belated Happy Birthday to Mrs.B from me too!

Nice start with the interiors :clap: 

Ciao

He is a nice guy isn't he? Thanks Giorgio :D 

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ooops, sorry Ced, must have missed that when moaning! I do recommend a trip to the West Somerset if you find your interest in steam trains growing!

Keith

PS thanks for the link to the casting forum I didn't even know it existed!!

Thanks Keith :) You're very welcome!

West Somerset looks like it's worth a trip - on the list!

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

You’re more than welcome dear boy.  Give Mrs B my best wishes. 🎉 Great start on the insides. 🦊

Jont. 

Thanks again Jont and thanks from Mrs B for the best wishes :D 

I'm hoping to get more done today as Mrs B is having her hair done.

Then the girls are down for the weekend for birthday celebrations. Nice :) 

• Like 3

Thanks Benedikt :D 

I did get a chance to clean these bits off and spray some (varied) IG:

43238658591_9d25018c2e_z.jpg

Might even be able to glue some bits together over the next few days...

• Like 9

It is indeed John - I will be careful! :) 

Small, basic bits done on the internals:

43260636401_00656f0eb0_z.jpg

The i/p transfer looks nice, but then you have to get it to settle on raised dials:

42542374714_59d14d0b08_z.jpg

I carefully pricked each gauge and then splashed on some Daco Strong:

43260457981_c3a7f987f4_z.jpg

The carrier seemed to give up immediately, but we'll see what that looks like later.

• Like 19

Sheer friction from all the activity occurring on your modelling bench must be contributing significantly to the heat plume over the British Isles Ced...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

sheesh... only just found this and we're already halfway down page 3 (and I think I missed another Ced build somewhere along the way too).  You be getting a bit prolific with your builds these days Ced.  I need a secretary to help me keep up with all this.

Looking very good so far, but please hurry up so you can get to the Lysander   :whistle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sheer friction from all the activity occurring on your modelling bench must be contributing significantly to the heat plume over the British Isles Ced...

:rofl2: If it was just that Tony I'd stop! This darned heat is slowing me down, a lot :phew:

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work on the interior so far Ced.  Look forward to seeing this develop.  I have the lovely Airfix kit in the stash to do one day. 

Keep up the good work. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris :) 

7 hours ago, hendie said:

sheesh... only just found this and we're already halfway down page 3 (and I think I missed another Ced build somewhere along the way too).  You be getting a bit prolific with your builds these days Ced.  I need a secretary to help me keep up with all this.

Looking very good so far, but please hurry up so you can get to the Lysander   :whistle:

Welcome Hendie! :) You didn't miss the Vulcan? Was it the Cessna? You didn't miss much IMHO - some custom markings and figure waffle but a nasty kit... I have much better hopes for this one. You're waiting for the Lizzie? OK, I'll do that one next. If I remember!

How did the Daco Strong hit the i/p transfer?

29401269878_6ce56975ae_z.jpg

Some bubbles. More Strong and they're more or less gone:

43271283821_107b806d21_z.jpg

I'll have another look later when that's dry and maybe blob on some more. Great stuff, you can see the carrier 'dissolve' under the brush.

The seat and rudder bar bit have had some attention and just need some dotting:

28401875747_d99775d05b_z.jpg

I have to say, as this is my first 'proper' 1/48 kit, that I'm loving the level of detail on the internals. That said it's not any easier on the eyes! Lots of tiny detail to pick out...

Too hot for more now. I've ordered a cheap thermometer so that I can report correct conditions, although I'm sure it'll attract some "Call that hot" comments from our friends in 'warmer parts'. 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Too hot for more now. I've ordered a cheap thermometer so that I can report correct conditions, although I'm sure it'll attract some "Call that hot" comments from our friends in 'warmer parts'. 

It's currently showing 27.6 in my muddling room, way too hot for me so I've just closed the door & walked away. Going to harvest some spuds before the sun comes round & kills the shade in the garden!

Somebody send some rain.....!! 

That i/p looks most presentable - luvly job!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

:rofl: Yep, there goes the first one: it's 32 here right now, perfect to enjoy some pool time ... :winkgrin:

Nice job on the IP and interiors, very effective. :clap:

As for the level of detail, the bigger the scale the more details you get, I'm afraid... :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 2

It's 35 here ( in the sun ) but at least the humidity is down to 39% . My man cave is about 10deg cooler until the sun comes around and shines through the window at about 5pm then I jump in the pool.

The IP looks pretty good to me.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/07/2018 at 09:04, keefr22 said:

It's currently showing 27.6 in my muddling room, way too hot for me so I've just closed the door & walked away. Going to harvest some spuds before the sun comes round & kills the shade in the garden!

Somebody send some rain.....!! 

That i/p looks most presentable - luvly job!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) Thermometer has arrived - 26 at the moment, but that's with the fan going... :phew:

On 08/07/2018 at 12:34, giemme said:

:rofl: Yep, there goes the first one: it's 32 here right now, perfect to enjoy some pool time ... :winkgrin:

Nice job on the IP and interiors, very effective. :clap:

As for the level of detail, the bigger the scale the more details you get, I'm afraid... :shrug:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) No pool here, sadly... bigger scale is more detail eh... :hmmm: I might enjoy that...

On 08/07/2018 at 13:41, Biggles87 said:

It's 35 here ( in the sun ) but at least the humidity is down to 39% . My man cave is about 10deg cooler until the sun comes around and shines through the window at about 5pm then I jump in the pool.

The IP looks pretty good to me.

John

Thanks John :) 35! I'd be melted...

23 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Nice work on the IP. I'm always sure the decal is not going to fit right.

Thanks Thom :) Only one dial is slightly out and that won't notice when it's closed up.

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Ced.

As for temp. well its regularly topping 90 F in our hallway.

Warm? yes !!!

Hot? very. 

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Phew! Stay out of the hallway eh?

24 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Top IP old fruit.

Get yourself a flake in yer oyster when the van comes round later:

[snip picture]

Thanks Tony :) Sadly the Ice Cream man doesn't visit our road :( 

Some work done between lazing around in the heat. Almost ready bits:

42581430774_0844e6d502_z.jpg

As you can see I've fitted the rudder pedals so no pilot so wheels down (gulp). They need silvering.

If there's no pilot I'll have to fit a harness. I've spent ages looking at details and now I'm 'Sutton Harness' blind with al sorts of arguments discussions spinning in my head. I think the 'nasty tape' may finally come into its own:

29428860678_86757c1b40_z.jpg

I've cut out the hole in the bulked and opened it up with broaches (used them , hooray!):

29428858088_49b612a38c_n.jpg 43248946122_e8afce9aae_n.jpg

Now I need to get my head around the straps. I know they don't go through the slot on the Vb (says Edgar) but I guess the wire did?

What's going on...

Too hot to care...

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

I know they don't go through the slot on the Vb (says Edgar) but I guess the wire did?

When I did my Vb, I had them going through the slot, using this website as a reference:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html/07rness

But I know Edgar was a sort of bible about Spitfires, so the only thing I can say is that, since that site shows a very detailed and careful restoration, I just went with that, not knowing any better ... :shrug:

Here's a link to my RFI, btw

HTH 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No pilot? Sun gone to one's head, Ced? :)

Right said Ced, going to leave the wheels down, so Airfix Pilot he can stay at home.... :whistle:

Sorry, damned heat seems to have got to me too....

K

• Haha 3

Thanks Giorgio - she's a beauty! :) I see you made your own belts too but, to be honest, I can't be bothered (in this weather) to try more fiddly things so I've ordered some HGW harnesses from Hannants. That way I can keep my sanity (??) and we can all see what they're like.

Thanks Keith :) The Sun's got everywhere... poor Mols is having a hard time trying to find somewhere bearable in her fur coat, even if it has been trimmed.

Like some sort of pop star, I'm just moving from one fan to another :D 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

poor Mols is having a hard time trying to find somewhere bearable in her fur coat, even if it has been trimmed.

I know what you mean Ced, my son's Newfoundland is the same, but unfortunately she hasn't had a trim as my son is reluctant to make her endure three hours in the groomers in this heat. Difficult to know what's best really. His Golden Doodle is as daft as ever, she doesn't seem to even notice the heat! My daughter's Alaskan Malamute has the best idea - she's taken to sleeping in the shade in the long grass behind my grandaughter's playhouse - then when she gets a bit warm she comes out & lies in the paddling pool!

As to our cat, we haven't seen him other than at meal times for about the last three weeks!!

K

• Like 2

Paddling pool! Maybe we should get Mols one... when Mrs B took her for a walk yesterday she reported her shooting across a field and diving into a water trough... bit like this old picture:

41498736300_d3c02b74e3_z.jpg

It's the webbed feet I guess - she looks more like a seal when wet :) 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Just now, CedB said:

Paddling pool! Maybe we should get Mols one... when Mrs B took her for a walk yesterday she reported her shooting across a field and diving into a water trough... bit like this old picture:

41498736300_d3c02b74e3_z.jpg

It's the webbed feet I guess - she looks more like a seal when wet :) 

Lovely girl!

I keep nagging my son to get his two a paddling pool as well  - likely as not he's waiting for me to buy it!

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've had several paddling pools for our dogs over the years, but the current pair are just not interested, although they will splash about in dirty puddles.They also have a doggy drinking fountain which they are supposed to operate by pressing on a plate ( seen it done on Utube ) but they run away from it!

I use the Eduard ' fabric ' belts for 1/48 which have printed on buckles and markings.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1