Spitfire Vb 111 Sqdn. - Airfix 1/48

I hope you are going to do the black one Ced.  Green/grey Spitfires are so commonplace, the black one is not only downright sexy but Kate Bush sang about one on Oh England My Lionheart, and that has got to be worth something!

Andrew

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow! Page one. 😊 I’ll just sneak in with the dog and get a swift half. Pitty about the casting desasting but I’m sure you’ll sort it. Might not have to as I’ve just posted you some guys. All different scales.  There are some 1/48 fellas, Probs from my sea fire and what not.

looking forward to this one. Funnily enough I have a hurricane I’d like to build but I’m telling you I’m doing a bunch of 1/72s after my BIG Lanc gets done. If I ever manage to get to the grotto that is.

Johnny needs a time machine. 🤖 

Page one, just! Welcome Johnny :) 

Thanks for the pilots Johnny, very kind of you and it'll save me the pain of moulding... I'll have a think when they arrive.

3 hours ago, philp said:

Another 48th scale and another Spit.  I may need a lie down.

Oh well, the threads are always entertaining.

Thanks Phil and welcome! :D Normal service will be resumed shortly!

16 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I hope you are going to do the black one Ced.  Green/grey Spitfires are so commonplace, the black one is not only downright sexy but Kate Bush sang about one on Oh England My Lionheart, and that has got to be worth something!

Andrew

Well Andrew that's got me thinking... 

There are several benefits to doing the black one:

• I don't have a night fighter (yet)
  • It has 'proper' wing tips (which I always prefer)
  • It removes my concerns over running out of Colourcoats DG - I haven't used my 'Night' yet (was it 'Night' or matt black?)
  • No stencils!
  • I could paint the markings

and, as you say, Kate Bush ( :Tasty: ) sang "Dropped from my black Spitfire to my funeral barge." :hmmm:

For those of us who remember Kate there's a video of her singing 'Oh England My Lionheart' on YouTube

Out for lunch today so I'll have a ponder...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Out to lunch too and it's Mrs Bs turn to drive. Yippee ! 

Is is this the latest incarnation Spitfire ( with cockpit module ) or one of the earlier versions. I'm sure you are already aware, but if it's the later version the tolerances are very tight and the undercarriage fixing is a little unusual.

Cheers 

John

EDIT.  You've already had the warnings about fit from Troy. Doh!

Edited by Biggles87
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John :) It's the earlier 'stick bits on the side' kit so I should be OK but thanks for the warning!

Have a great lunch.

Stuck at the back looking over everyone's shoulder. Grumble move over grump oops, sorry, didn't mean to stand on your foot. 

Ced, you need a bigger thread.

Oh, and of course you'll finish before the rain comes!

Tally Ho, Damn, I love smell of TET in the morning!

• Haha 2

Two builds in 1/48 Ced?

If the second one hadn´t been a Spitfire I would have started to question your sanity....but welcome to the dark side!

This will surely be fun (and time to read up on that Vulcan, I think I was at page 2?) 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Christer A said:

but welcome to the dark side!

...it won't last, Ced 'normality' will follow soon enough, especially when he notices how much paint he uses on these bigger models. :rofl:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks John :) It's the earlier 'stick bits on the side' kit so I should be OK but thanks for the warning!

Have a great lunch.

Ced

AFAIK the boxing you have is the new tool kit, so the cautions apply.

The old tool dates from 1978, and has mostly raised panel lines.

I think it was last available as a dogfight double with the old Bf109F kit, note there is also a DD boxing with the new tool Vb and the Bf109E kit.

Re the 111sq

Most likely Night, not the matt black

Here the real plane

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27d0f25.jpg?16

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27f344f.jpg?18

The Special Night was very matt and wore really badly, see pics of very tatty Defiants and Beaufighters, please see the Ducimus monographs here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings

For more on this.

Which hopefully are of interest.

Cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You're too quick for me. I was editing my post when you replied.

Have a good lunch too. ( Mine will be Indian )

John

Thanks John - I hope you had a good lunch :D 

My morning was a surprise visit to the East Somerset Railway and a 40 minute up-and-back trip on an old steam train. I'm not a great railway fan but the engine was impressive and the carriages brought back memories of my commute to London in the '80s. Cranmore station has an old Gents toilet:

41385655270_451c9df870.jpg 43196130611_03ebc2ae2a.jpg

Adjust your dress before leaving? Only at the weekends :D 

14 hours ago, Whofan said:

Stuck at the back looking over everyone's shoulder. Grumble move over grump oops, sorry, didn't mean to stand on your foot. 

Ced, you need a bigger thread.

Oh, and of course you'll finish before the rain comes!

Tally Ho, Damn, I love smell of TET in the morning!

Welcome John :) Rained here at lunch time so it beat me to it. It did give my old chum and me a chance to practice our English phrases for such situations...

"It'll be good for the garden"

"Should freshen things up a bit"

"There goes Summer" etc.

Back to warm and humid tonight.

12 hours ago, Christer A said:

Two builds in 1/48 Ced?

If the second one hadn´t been a Spitfire I would have started to question your sanity....but welcome to the dark side!

This will surely be fun (and time to read up on that Vulcan, I think I was at page 2?) 

Thanks Christer and good to have you along. Still sane(ish) here, I hope :) 

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

...it won't last, Ced 'normality' will follow soon enough, especially when he notices how much paint he uses on these bigger models. :rofl:

Stuart

Quite right Stuart :) They use MORE paint??!!

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Ced

AFAIK the boxing you have is the new tool kit, so the cautions apply.

The old tool dates from 1978, and has mostly raised panel lines.

I think it was last available as a dogfight double with the old Bf109F kit, note there is also a DD boxing with the new tool Vb and the Bf109E kit.

Re the 111sq

Most likely Night, not the matt black

Here the real plane

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27d0f25.jpg?16

blackadder57-161211-584d6f27f344f.jpg?18

The Special Night was very matt and wore really badly, see pics of very tatty Defiants and Beaufighters, please see the Ducimus monographs here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings

For more on this.

Which hopefully are of interest.

Cheers

T

Thanks Troy, especially for the info on kits etc :)

I've just checked Scalemates and of course you're right - it's the 2014 new tool. Warnings noted.

I have some Colourcoats 'Night' so it'll give me a chance to use that (and save the DG I have left). I'll try to replicate some wearing I think; not as bad as the second photo but maybe like the first. Grey primer do we think?

Mrs B's birthday tomorrow so modelling may be a bit curtailed :( 

• Like 4

The Hurricane IIC night  intruder had a similar finish. There is a picture of one flown by Dennis Smallwood where the paint is very worn and ' lumpy ' in places.

Have you started yet?

John

PS. Splendid lunch yesterday but SWMBO had to drive home in a thunderstorm. The last time we had lunch with the same people, from Mrb B's French conversation group, she drove home in a snowstorm!

PPS Happy Birthday to your Mrs B

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing like a new Spitfire build to grab the attention of the mavens.  I’ve just finished the BoB chapter ( heartbreaking, they were so young) in the new book on the Spitfire by John Nichol so Spitfires on the radar.  Apparently the Airfix kit is the one to get in quarter scale.  I will squeeze in incognito somewhere in the back.

DMC

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CedB said:

e some Colourcoats 'Night' so it'll give me a chance to use that (and save the DG I have left). I'll try to replicate some wearing I think; not as bad as the second photo but maybe like the first. Grey primer do we think?

I would think Night was applied over the existing DFS, at unit level, which might explain the tattiness.

Glad the info is of use.

One last bit, probably in the linked build but worth mentioning

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

The aircraft serving as our subject is Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vb BL628 YO-D, recently completed by Avspecs Ltd in Auckland, New Zealand. Due to the fantastic quality of the restoration work which took full 30 years, the cockpit of this Spitfire conforms almost entirely to wartime production standards. For this reason, the following photographs can serve as reliable reference to the cockpit layout of the production Spitfire Mk. V.

Note the aluminium dope starts from behind the seat bulkhead.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Welcome John :) Rained here at lunch time so it beat me to it. It did give my old chum and me a chance to practice our English phrases for such situations...

"It'll be good for the garden"

"Should freshen things up a bit"

"There goes Summer" etc.

Back to warm and humid tonight.

Even more cause for grump.

My conversation about weather hasn't changed for over a week, so no need for practice;

"We could do with a good downpour"

"It's going to ruin the potatoes"

"It's too damn hot"

Congrats to Mrs B on her birthday, my wife says only the best people are July babies - yep, she's a July birthday too. In one of those strange coincidences, my daughter's partner's birthday is the same day as Mrs H.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

My conversation about weather hasn't changed for over a week, so no need for practice;

"It's too damn hot"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I'm also really fed up of the flippin weather forecasters looking so pleased when they tell us it's going to be another glorious day but not mentioning the roads melting, resevoirs drying up, no grass growing to feed the cattle, crops whithering, huge grass fires....mumble.grumble,mumble,grumble.... 

Anyway, Ced glad you had a good train ride, I love the West Somerset, really nice line with some interesting stations. Wonder how long it'll be before they ban the Heritage lines from using steam locos due to the lineside fire risk cos of this horrible weather....ooops I'm off again!! :rant: :laugh:

Keith

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Hurricane IIC night  intruder had a similar finish. There is a picture of one flown by Dennis Smallwood where the paint is very worn and ' lumpy ' in places.

Have you started yet?

John

PS. Splendid lunch yesterday but SWMBO had to drive home in a thunderstorm. The last time we had lunch with the same people, from Mrb B's French conversation group, she drove home in a snowstorm!

PPS Happy Birthday to your Mrs B

Thanks John :) I hope the storm wasn't too bad for driving. I like driving in storms in France - everyone's behaving. Not so in England, sadly.

I have started - see below!

Mrs B says thanks for the wishes too :) 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Nothing like a new Spitfire build to grab the attention of the mavens.  I’ve just finished the BoB chapter ( heartbreaking, they were so young) in the new book on the Spitfire by John Nichol so Spitfires on the radar.  Apparently the Airfix kit is the one to get in quarter scale.  I will squeeze in incognito somewhere in the back.

DMC

Welcome! You're quite right; we often forget how young, and inexperienced, these chaps were. :) 

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I would think Night was applied over the existing DFS, at unit level, which might explain the tattiness.

Glad the info is of use.

One last bit, probably in the linked build but worth mentioning

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

Note the aluminium dope starts from behind the seat bulkhead.

Thanks Troy :) I've got both the 'Camouflage and Markings' and 'SAM Modellers Datafile', courtesy of Scribd's free trial (although I did let them have a month's fees).

Dope demarcation implemented! (See below)

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Even more cause for grump.

"It's too damn hot"

Congrats to Mrs B on her birthday, my wife says only the best people are July babies - yep, she's a July birthday too. In one of those strange coincidences, my daughter's partner's birthday is the same day as Mrs H.

Thanks for the best wishes John - Keep on grumbling... :D 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I'm also really fed up of the flippin weather forecasters looking so pleased when they tell us it's going to be another glorious day but not mentioning the roads melting, resevoirs drying up, no grass growing to feed the cattle, crops whithering, huge grass fires....mumble.grumble,mumble,grumble.... 

Anyway, Ced glad you had a good train ride, I love the West Somerset, really nice line with some interesting stations. Wonder how long it'll be before they ban the Heritage lines from using steam locos due to the lineside fire risk cos of this horrible weather....ooops I'm off again!! :rant: :laugh:

Keith

Cheers Keith :) Weather forecasters, huh! To give them their due, it's hard to be local.

The railway was the East Somerset - this one. Stations not so interesting.

28 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Oh, and in my moaning I forgot ....... Happy Birthday Mrs.B !! 🎂 

Have a great day both! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith - Mrs B says thanks too :) 

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

Happy birthday Lady H.

Ah well Ced, I get a birthday cake sorted out.

Simon and Lady R.

Thanks Simon and Rose - Mrs B says thanks!

Look what arrived with the postie this morning - a very generous donation of crew from @The Spadgent 

28342832247_8130c2052c_z.jpg

As well as some nice 1/72 chaps:

42493526344_ff49c083f6_z.jpg

Thanks Johnny, it'll save me a lot of pain moulding!

For those that want to try moulding my previous efforts are here (same link as above). Scroll down for progress!

There's a whole BM forum on Casting too.

Some progress this morning. I've started taking the internals off the sprue and preparing stuff for IG:

43212348731_2d5106a4c7_z.jpg

While doing this I'm removing the 'that'll cause a problem' flash, hard to see in some lights:

29339987518_aeb0b743cd_z.jpg

Air tanks have been fitted and dope areas masked:

42307835925_c4df8e4e81_z.jpg

Off to town now. Later...

• Like 10

Remember the sun screen when out Ced.

Good work on the start sir.

Nice guy Johnny, saves you some hassle moulding crew.

P.S. You right about the morons who drive in storms.

Simon.

• Like 4

The dreaded Airfix mold separation lines!😬

Good luck with those, but remember to attack them vigorously whenever you see them (and they're on almost every part) since they have a nasty tendency to move everything out of alignment.

Nice start on the cockpit innards, nevertheless!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, The Spad is definitely a nice guy :thumbsup:  Belated Happy Birthday to Mrs.B from me too!

Nice start with the interiors :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

The railway was the East Somerset -

Ooops, sorry Ced, must have missed that when moaning! I do recommend a trip to the West Somerset if you find your interest in steam trains growing!

Keith

PS thanks for the link to the casting forum I didn't even know it existed!!

• Like 1