BAC TSR.2 (BWPT)

On the 27th September 1964, TSR.2 XR219 took to the skies over England. Flown by chief test pilot Roland Beamont over Preston, Lancashire, which on one engine; out flew an EE Lightning T.4 on full reheat. Designed as a long range, all weather, twin-engine supersonic bomber capable of precision bombing at both high and low altitude, the aircraft was fitted with advanced avionics that could deliver a variety of weapons. As it underwent extensive testing it soon became clear that the design exceeded its original expectations; the aircraft was 40 years ahead of its time. The following year, the newly elected Labour Government cancelled the project.

413943541.jpg

413943542.jpg

413943543.jpg

413943544.jpg

413943545.jpg

413943546.jpg

413943547.jpg

413943548.jpg

413943549.jpg

Edited by Ratch
Spelling
  • Like 35

Terrific. A beautiful rendition of great aircraft and a story that should make every red-blooded Britisher weep.  You've just reminded me that I have one in the stash somewhere.  Must have been there for over ten years! Time to dig it out I think. 

• Thanks 1

Great rendition of what must be one of aviation’s should’ve beens. Decades ahead of its time and you done it justice looks great displayed on the mirror base. I sold my unbuilt kit on evilBay when money was a bit tight a few years ago☹️  

After seeing what you’ve done with the kit it makes me wish I’d kept it. Lovely build and nice finishing all round 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your positive comments chaps. I'm always a bit wary of white aircraft (one reason I don't do many airliners) but this one isn't too bad.

• Like 1

Very nice build.

A correction to your details regarding the aircraft's first flight (from Wikipedia) note Beamont not Bearmont.

Test pilot Roland Beamont finally made the first flight from the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) at Boscombe Down, Wiltshire, on 27 September 1964.[73][74

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice model! Of maybe something great that missed service!

40 years ahead I am not so sure.... as by then stealth an multirode were much on vougue!

How such a big aircraft would have behaved and cost to maintain.... then the last F-111 were retired only in 2010...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...