- SUKHOI T50 PAK-FA - Su 57-

On 8/31/2018 at 6:16 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi IPMS 19

This is an extremely brave project, one that I would never attempt! Your perseverance is commendable!   :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy: 

The real problem here is that the whole T-50 or Su-57 project is so much at the very start of evolution, it is in its infancy with everything changing all the time from air frame to airframe and even within one particular aircraft. It is true that there are many photos of this new fighter around but they are all different in one way or another.

A good overall walk around of one particular aircraft within a very constricted time frame could be the basis for a build. But as far as I can see no such exists for obvious reasons.

Some of the questions you ask about particular parts of the airframe are unanswerable for me for luck of information and detailed views. :shrug: I did see the aircraft few years ago but it was at a considerable distance and also in the air so little knowledge could be gained from it which could help in a build project.

I do have the ill-fated Zvezda kit in 72 but after first comparisons with photos decided to put it away deep, deep in the stash and wait for a day when more will be know and hopefully a much better and authentic kit comes out from which ever manufacturer.  Then the Zvezda kit will be just an interesting evolutional step in model making history.  

P.s. Hope this project (the real T-50 or whatever you call it) will not end up as that fascinating Berkut with forward swept wings. Now that was a sight to see what it could do in the air. It was simply amazing!!!

Best regards

Gabor

- Spassiba  for your participation I know my questions are difficult if not impossible to answer, they are some of those I wonder of all day long, with the secret hope that some one has THE photo of my dream and be kind enough to share with us. What is sure is that the end product will sport a pixilized camo, may be BORT 511 or the same in VVS marking....

- Before leaving for a week on a mediterranean beach near thr Spanish border this is the result of some head breaking affair :

J9u8Ox.jpg

6NSgCC.jpg

WzNOLx.jpg

-The main problem comes from the very hard to work resin

AKsFMQ.jpg

BVjOn3.jpg

SdzZLz.jpg

-I don't know which system is hidden behind those dotted installation, my work is closer to a guess work resulting from the lot of time spent on the related photos than real "scientific work" , I think it ressemble the real installation but  the precision may not be of the best quality

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

- Next step is to install a metallic mesh over these opennings, as it appears to be seen on some photo of the  011 Bort number 

nQlnmb.jpg

After several trials with different solution to settle and fix the mesh over the apperture without  over flowing the mesh and obturing it in the scope of maintaining its aspect after painting, so I decide to use the HPH clear resin  and just lay the mesh over the resin before harden with the hope that it will be sufficient to maintain the mesh in place..........If not....,?????

kLyopC.jpg

U7dbS2.jpg

uTVBVU.jpg

- The mesh has now to be settled at its right position before the resin harden,

cgH7KR.jpg

• Like 1

- Alone - Unarmed - Unafraid and undeterred...

That' what I' ve founded on a Russian modeller forum

pefvPZ.jpg

WUUusX.jpg

- I think that it is intended to show  some kind of radar wave trap, I will try to duplicate this. with some plasticard... ..

PWTx2A.jpg

0kGmkj.jpg.

42RTVz.jpg

NWg1AT.jpg

lTqHgo.jpg

- The added parts are not glued but secured in place by a both side adhesive tape as I have to paint them before being glued 

- Alone  - Unarmed - Unafraid - Undeterred

-To continue the work on the fuselage side streaks

kWag61.jpg

izQN3b.jpg

- This requires a rarther heavy coat of putty and a equally heavy sandindg session

Y68pAK.jpg

yUsgBY.jpg

w1fJvq.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

- Well, the arrival of the new Su 57 from ZVEDA gives me the idea to resuscitate my old HPH left aside until better days- The times are coming soon ( after the Hind however).....Get ready guys Felon is back and he is angry........

• Like 1

-I've slightly been desapointed by the relativ simplicity of the Zveda kit taking in account of course? this kit is based on pre series machines. My concerns goes toward the grills of the auxillary intake on the sides and undersides of the trunks represented by a lightly engraved perimeter and strange silver looking decals as well as lack of masking for the pixel camouflage. On the positiv side the plastic of the whole is far more easy to work than the HPH material. So here come my idea to revert to  my HPH kit.

I too have the very two same problems to solve.

I bought the HPH kit at the IPMS nationals when it first came out, I loved it, but I took a different route to yourself. Firstly the kit made for Scale Model World was detailed and the cockpit side walls made more akin to a Su27 and the rear bulkhead where the canopy actuator mechanism sits was detailed. These two details ground my gears in there omission as the kit at the time was to all intents all there. The alternative route I had taken was just to re-embellish all of the scribed details because some of my casting has some run-out, and of course where the two halves are joined together. I moved house some years ago and lost the kit decals...... and never got going with it again.

The Zveda 1/72 , after the Hobby Boss Su-57 I had high hopes for a new fresh tooling.  When the Zveda kit came along it came close to going into the bin. I love lots of detail, the Hobby Boss kit has it and the HPH has it by the bucket load. Now, if the new bigger 48th kit is anything like it’s little brother then this kit will be an even bigger disappointment, screw head detail and rows of rivets rules. I’ve not seen any reviews of this bigger kit but it’s price tell you everything you need to know, no real cockpit, no external details, no amazing exhausts and what is going on with the bomb bays??? Some large decal sheets or paint masks seems far to much to ask for. I’m looking fwd to and pinning all hopes on Kinetic to come up trumps. 

Stay safe,     😉

• Like 1

-This his how it looked like when I dropped it

xjp1pD.jpg

RVo7da.jpg

FsYPyL.jpg
pf2yAa.jpg
zhkmkP.jpg

LCMGy7.jpg

-The main reason was that I was unsatisfied with the grilled intakes, which ever the solution I tempted it was worse than the last one........Any ideas guys?

• Like 3

- Everything went  smooth until a began priming, I made the mistake to forget masking the grill  so the mesh was clogged by primer and need to be removed and rebuilt; I spent so many hours on these bloody grill  I couldn't see them any more. Just before Xmas I get the box out from the top of a showcase and find the result was not so bad after all and  decided to give it another chance, I again will make new intakes, only Mr EDUARD could really save the day, it will be my next project after the Mil 24 Hind which is on the work bench.  

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks rather nice!

What dou you exactly mean by grilled intakes? 

- Hi Werner

-  I gave this name to what I think to be auxillary intakes on each side and under each main intakes trunks, on the photos they look like being protected by  some kind of mesh for stealth reasons I guess and mine are completely missed, so it will be my first task when I'll resume works on this kit

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

- I'm on the road again with the beast  known now by the name of FELON.

- I ran in trouble with the auxillary air intakes. The first thing to do is to solve this problem before going furher on, that's what I will try to do......with succès ? notreally sure....Hope gives a sense to life.........!🤔

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, amos brierley said:

I too have the very two same problems to solve.

I bought the HPH kit at the IPMS nationals when it first came out, I loved it, but I took a different route to yourself. Firstly the kit made for Scale Model World was detailed and the cockpit side walls made more akin to a Su27 and the rear bulkhead where the canopy actuator mechanism sits was detailed. These two details ground my gears in there omission as the kit at the time was to all intents all there. The alternative route I had taken was just to re-embellish all of the scribed details because some of my casting has some run-out, and of course where the two halves are joined together. I moved house some years ago and lost the kit decals...... and never got going with it again.

The Zveda 1/72 , after the Hobby Boss Su-57 I had high hopes for a new fresh tooling.  When the Zveda kit came along it came close to going into the bin. I love lots of detail, the Hobby Boss kit has it and the HPH has it by the bucket load. Now, if the new bigger 48th kit is anything like it’s little brother then this kit will be an even bigger disappointment, screw head detail and rows of rivets rules. I’ve not seen any reviews of this bigger kit but it’s price tell you everything you need to know, no real cockpit, no external details, no amazing exhausts and what is going on with the bomb bays??? Some large decal sheets or paint masks seems far to much to ask for. I’m looking fwd to and pinning all hopes on Kinetic to come up trumps. 

Stay safe,     😉

- I agree with you,, I built previouly a n HPH in it's PAK-FA shape in factory fresh priming colors with few mods which may be seen in the depth of RFI if the photos are still visible. I recently bought the ZVEDA 1/48 kit and I've been desapointed by the lack of details of this breed. To be noted in the wrong side are the auxillary intakes to be represented by some strange decals and the proposed paint scheme  suggested by the notice  needs a large proficiency in masking. Happily Quinta studio for the cockipt and New Ware mask are here to give a hand. Eduard shows the tip of its nose with a pre painted cockpit and a small P.E frett for a few outside details but nothing for the canopy actuating  mechanism as well as auxillary intake, that's why I decide to resurrect my second HPH kit from oblivion

- Sorry for my late answer to your post  I simply forgot it.

Lix2uk.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

Great, it is alive again!!

Where are these saw goth shaped nozzles from? 

Great work on scratching those tanks, will be a stunner for sure again!

- Got them from  Russia from a man who knows the man, who himself knows the man, who have seen the bear without being afraid....😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

- The hostilies are open by removing the former previous installation........

k4u3ES.jpg

Not even afraid.......! then background roughly painted black...the surround remaining in its original crude form

db9b1u.jpg

The small white dots were made of plastic punched from a punch and die set - The "hammer" is an armour piercing core shell....

CXPhcG.jpg

Then lightly glued according to the arrangement visible on available photos and drowned in Soli Q clear resin then sanded and polished

dwKsvp.jpg

-To avoid the previous troubles a masking will be done before a priming after fixing the surrounding imperfections 

• Like 1

I don't know if it is too late but I have these two sets I ordered from Microdesign for the Zvezda and they are going to make that kit a lot easier. The interior 3d decals are nothing as good as the Quinta but the etch is good and the external set has those grills you are making (which are decals in the Zvezda).

https://microdisign.ru/products/1-48/su-57-eksterer-zvezda

https://microdisign.ru/products/1-48/su-57-interer-zvezda