- SUKHOI T50 PAK-FA - Su 57-

- Well enough Flogger, this  s my new long course projekt. I previously built one but I want to built somrething up dated as the real machine is;

I  don't know if the succès wil be there but I will make the necessary things to achieve this goal. You will be the judges..

t89s9I.jpg

0dOJ2G.jpg

Lszhho.jpg

0ERyoF.jpg

o4g6Pd.jpg

isXpuK.jpg

• Like 9

-Vielen Danke Werner, owing to the size of the challenge I will need support of every ones of you and eventually some technical help.

- Adding to the building I want to open the belly weapons bays, using modified F-35 ones, for the underwings roots ones I didn't find any photo showing them opened so they will remain definitly closed. The bort number will be one of those sporting a pixelized style camo.

- Before begining the first step of the building all the aperture have to be opened.

-The difficulty come from the material used for the one piece fuselage. A kind of fiber glass which is far harder than the traditionnal plastic but much stronger.

dkJZGc.jpg

-The technic is well known of the modellers, first drilling a serie of holes along the part you want to open

-Then you have to smooth and file the side of the openning

2ZUH5e.jpg

-On the upper fuselage another apperture is to open for the square louvres behing the cockpit sill; same technic but its small size means that you have to pay attention when drilling the holes. For the filling, the advantage of the hard material is that it prevent the last desastrous file stroke 

tcJFRl.jpg

hk7fxZ.jpg

The pointless file has not been broken in this process;

- Most of the appertures are to be done on the underside.Begining with the nose wheel . I've chosen to open only the auxilary doors as they are the only ones openned when the gea is down in ost of the time

IrWm5U.jpg

LkgbnR.jpg

-The process is the same, long, fastidious and........

4pZqKP.jpg

- AWFULLY NOISY.........To the strongest disapproval of Tomy my technical adviser

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

- Opening the weapons bay is straight forward, using the same technic

xxrEuH.jpg

5HfGSv.jpg

TodAAx.jpg

I didnt open the forward and rear of the housing to manage some place for carving the indentation of the stealth denting according to fit the bort number choosen at this stage I can't stil say which one will be built, the opening of the forward bay will be done at a later stage.

- Sorry for the blue shade of the photos, I didn't notice the low lighting.......

- I can now test the fitting of the weapon well borrowed from an F-35 BLACK DOG  weapon bay set.

REQVEk.jpg

- It has to be modified of course to fit the bay

DlOURL.jpg

CEljTq.jpg

Then the fitting inside the fuselage  shows it is feasable but the F-35 bay shows it is 10 m/m shorter , something are obviously to be done to have a correct fitting.......

zS093q.jpg

- The solution is to buy another set  to lengthen the parts.

- Other problem much more serious is my questionning about the shape of the main gear doors as they have been modified on the later prototypes. -If some one of you has an idea, I will adopt it.....Thank you for thinking about this point......

• Like 5

I'm not a fan of the subject aircraft, but I'll be keeping track of this for sure.  I love the Su27/3x aircraft, but the S57 just looks weird to me; it reminds me of the YF-23 which was hideous compared to the F-22.

Good luck with the build! :)

• Thanks 1

-As I wrote above one of the issue of my work is the shape of the main gear doors to match those of the photo. I must say that I don't know if they are the retained solution for the may be future series or just another one of those numerous experiments

HBTfi6.jpg

- As can be seen their shape is rather different to the ones of the kit

xDWISz.jpg

I will follow the pattern of the crude paper template I've tied to determine examining the photo of the real thing

kAYT0Z.jpg

-I will be happy to have your advice about this and eventually your solution. I think I will   glue a thin plastic sheet of the required shape over the kit part to have the right angled shape and adapt it to the new shape. Consequently this ask for a re shaping of the aperture of the well on the fuselage.....iI will be happy to have your advice and (or) your possible solution.

• Like 2

- Despite the lack of comments I keep on my  my project of building an up dated protoype of the strange PAK-PA now renamed Su-57;

- Of the successfull modification of the main gear doors depends the continuing of the building..

4bvl4l.jpg

-I will add a modified shape sheet of plasticard over the kit door part

Dg3LZV.jpg

3kCQlZ.jpg

- A layer of yellow putty with a rough delimitation made of adhesive tape to facilitate the fastidious later operations of sanding after having added another plastic strip  to approach the complex shape of the door

CrrUSV.jpg

mX3KZ4.jpg

-A spray of primer will show the possible modifications required..

xml8o9.jpg

- I feel the groove between the main and lower bulges  too deep compared to the photo. easy to rectifiy, now I have to make the identical right door

7xFBcO.jpg

RXqtM7.jpg

- These photos shows the door at a different stage of modification. They show the pattern I'm trying to represent

• Like 2

sorry,

can't really comment on your questions,but your way seems promising to me!

I am definitely watching! I have one as well, but originally did not plan to modify it....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

sorry,

can't really comment on your questions,but your way seems promising to me!

I am definitely watching! I have one as well, but originally did not plan to modify it....

- Vielen danke Werner, your support is encouraging , posting in W.I.P is always a bit difficult for me as I fear being either out of scope or even been  boring as my technics are rather crude compared whith those I can see on this post, but they works and also there may have an issue with my photos ,they  are not the best ones . 

- For your model you have no need to modify it, it is perfectly representativ of one of the firsts prototypes. Just just have to make the nose radome duly pointed and take care with installing the grills on the upper mid fuselage, then just follow the notice . But if you want some mods just do it having this beast in the show case is really rewarding

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

- An interesting photo  of the evolution of the gear door. It means that I have to modify  the work I ve done on mine

7JmbBF.jpg

-So I turn my attention to the air intakes. After a close examining of numerous photos I arrive to the conclusion they were a bit short by 2 m/m comparing the relative position of the grilled  canted square of the new stageside louvres and the gear housing.

anb5sD.jpg

VC13Mn.jpg

-Taking in account the different shape of the doors

lCMUpb.jpg

l4Vx3A.jpg

-It is the first stage still waiting for some putty as there are grilled intake auxillary louvres on the other side and a yellow tape shape to give an idea of the shape of this side mesh

• Like 5

- Another key point to continue furthe on. I have now to take care of the smaller grilled opening instead of the large rectangular ones.

- Nothing easy as the only plan I have are some photos ,lines of reference given by comparison with other features such as intake lips and heel wells edges, for the size and shape only the visual aids n°1 to rely on.

FmfIeg.jpg

-This is what I think to be close of the shape to  replicate.

PP0qBS.jpg

-Th initial intake have been suppresed by a coat of cyano and sanded

jtzCpx.jpg

FNYMgK.jpg

- The shape is hollowed with cautious use of ball milling dremel 

a98HRl.jpg

-If the size happens to be too small as well as the correction to be given to the general shape it can be easily done with a sharp pointed blade. 

- Some one has  some documents other than generic photos I will gladily accept their help

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Really like your dedication on this!

Are you gping to implement all the other little changes as well?

Really have to think of starting mine... looks like a challenge!!

-I will try to show as many visible little changes as possible, those bloody intakes grills and those on the solid part of the canopy excepted, most of them are round of the mill mods for a modeller  The vectored exhausts will be  a trankit from A.M.U.RIVER  But all in all, with  the here and there correction to applied to the kit and the pixel camo I intend to duplicate from scratch masking, the whole bunch remains a f....challenge.  That's why I procced at a slow pace together  with easier building to spare my "brain's gutts"..........

-Of what I've seen of your models you are a fine modeller , you are more than able to give the green to  your PAK-FA projekt, so we could share our common experiences;

- Vorwärst  Werner........Du bist der Beste.........😉

- I was not satisfied by what Ive obtained with my milling machine so I deliberatly opened the whole thing, this was easily done but the surprise came from the thickness of the resin, nearly 2 m/m and the top 3m/m

ZU6OFX.jpg

xrr8eN.jpg

- Sorry for the blurred photos, I was all in the process of the job making photos after each step, I saw the mess too late to make better pictures as the work had already reached  another step, in the contrary of many today people showing perfect models on immaculate background, I'm unable to use any kind of photoshopping device  with the result you can appreciate....

- At this stage it is necessary to determine the appropriate size of the opening, I've drawn several paper template , 10, 9, 8 m/m to see which size could fit, I remind you that I'm working onlly by visual observation with all the uncertainty this means, I thought  the 8m/m was the best compromise.

fbgE7J.jpg

After a lot of filing, a thin plasic background has been set in place but still not glued

zUOYgl.jpg

-Some work remains to reach the final finish but I'm rather happy with this, now I have to replicate this on the other intake........

• Like 1

- All the appertiure are now open, the difficulty was to have the same on both intakes,

2CW2iU.jpg

J0pUtT.jpg

53LIti.jpg

_- These photos are taken raw from the work bench, I have now clearly to refine the skin around the opennings as revealed by the lighting of the photos, these bugs are not so evident to eyeballs n°1 but nothing to worry about, and install the grills or mesh in the holes.

- As I've been unable in my searches to find close-up pictures of these on the aircraft, I don't know with what they are  really made of, so it is a bit of a guess job I'm going to work on. I think I using thin metallic mesh painted black with  thin stiffeners on their outside. So let's see........

• Like 1

rBVelr.jpg

- Owing to the difficulty to thin the resin from insideI havre to rectify the deepness of the openning before pre-installing the mesh surface coming from an old Saab Draken Eduard photo-etched frett waiting for a "one of these days" use

QQQKfz.jpg

- This will be used for all the intakes appertures..

• Like 1

Honestly to me and I get I'm probably very wrong here but it looks like snow or evaporating ice sitting in the intake and the same engine is blasting a big white plume from the back. I know how absurd that sounds but I'm just going on what it looks like.otherwise both intakes look the same inside to me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Honestly to me and I get I'm probably very wrong here but it looks like snow or evaporating ice sitting in the intake and the same engine is blasting a big white plume from the back. I know how absurd that sounds but I'm just going on what it looks like.otherwise both intakes look the same inside to me.

- No it is not absurd at all, I agree with you, this large white cloud is certainly the result of the cold start of the engine, the other is either already running or not yet started, but my question is about those broadly triangular  plates looking to be installed at the leading edge of the intakes lip  as seen on the close-up photo or on the smaller one , are they a splitter plate ? a radar wave trap  ? may be an unknown unsuccesful trial installation specific of this bort N° as  they are not visible on  most of the photos of this machine ? I don't know what to think about. What ever, I will not  bother with this on my kit, unless  proof of this installation on more recent preserie machine .

Hi IPMS 19

This is an extremely brave project, one that I would never attempt! Your perseverance is commendable!   :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy: 

The real problem here is that the whole T-50 or Su-57 project is so much at the very start of evolution, it is in its infancy with everything changing all the time from air frame to airframe and even within one particular aircraft. It is true that there are many photos of this new fighter around but they are all different in one way or another.

A good overall walk around of one particular aircraft within a very constricted time frame could be the basis for a build. But as far as I can see no such exists for obvious reasons.

Some of the questions you ask about particular parts of the airframe are unanswerable for me for luck of information and detailed views. :shrug: I did see the aircraft few years ago but it was at a considerable distance and also in the air so little knowledge could be gained from it which could help in a build project.

I do have the ill-fated Zvezda kit in 72 but after first comparisons with photos decided to put it away deep, deep in the stash and wait for a day when more will be know and hopefully a much better and authentic kit comes out from which ever manufacturer.  Then the Zvezda kit will be just an interesting evolutional step in model making history.  

P.s. Hope this project (the real T-50 or whatever you call it) will not end up as that fascinating Berkut with forward swept wings. Now that was a sight to see what it could do in the air. It was simply amazing!!!

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

P.s. Hope this project (the real T-50 or whatever you call it) will not end up as that fascinating Berkut with forward swept wings. Now that was a sight to see what it could do in the air. It was simply amazing!!!

If the programme isn’t dead, it’s not going anywhere fast. 

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/22234/no-russias-su-57-stealth-fighter-program-isnt-dead-at-least-not-yet

• Thanks 1