P-47D Academy 1/72

zegeye

The time is gone.....  but I will continue the build.  Yesterday I did some small stuff.  First of all I reworked the main weels. I have to make the covers.

I use some ready material 8-).  This is some part of shirt packaging, it fit here perfectly. 

ymYEnZqS_o.jpg

Than I shortened the main gear, which is much to long in the Academy (and Hasegawa) kit. And I use some photoetched parts for gear and tail wheel.

FOAKM6sl_o.jpg

Next were the tail wheel covers, I made them thinner and used some Plastruct sticks to simmulate internal structure. Use some etched to make bomb brackets.

B7cGgyOO_o.jpg

SVD6PXm0_o.jpg

to be continued.....

• Like 7

I've put some decals.....   The shade of blue is slighty different than my paint mix...... it needs a little correction. Now I'm getting ready myself for a lot of masking.

FPOAojPc_o.jpg

Edited by zegeye
  • Like 3

I would ask about weel hubs. T-bolt suggested that they could be blue. But I found an interresting photo of Bouncin Bette. On it, the hubs have stars painted. (don't know if on both) I have such element on my decal sheet. But they are standard dark blue (insignia) disc and white stars. Looking at the photo I doubt it could be possible that stars are white on hubs.... (comparing to stars under the wings). So what could be the color options in your opinion???

And the guns are silver....not painted 8-)

iXF4nGwD_o.jpg

Edited by zegeye

Looking great with some decals on. It's not easy matching decal colours as sometimes they look a different colour when they are off the backing paper.

As for the wheel covers, the wheels are silver and the star is darker than that in that photo. From that photo I would probably go for red, which would match what else is believed to be red in that photo. Of course you don't have to add the stars, it depends when you want to depict the aircraft - in the first photo you posted it shows no star on the wheel covers and painted gun blast tubes. Remember a photo is just one moment in time and these aircraft's appearance could change quite a bit.

Uf3ojMtt_o.jpg&key=d0bb891f53fe1c1cd0785

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

And what do you think about blue star on the hub (same color as squadron blue) and insignia blue disc?  If the disc hub was blue befor? It is possible?

And I saw the decals in 48 scale and the name ''bouncin bette'' is red on it. Do you think it is possible?  I think it is very hard to determine if it is blue or red from B/W photo. And the interresting is that the name on the top photo is in lighter shade and letters have darkest shadow of grey and on the bottom photo is vice versa. Same with the skirt of pin up.  And yes I know the photos could be from different period.

Edited by zegeye

It's very hard to say on the wheel covers. If doing the version with the star I would probably go with insignia blue.

The difference in the photo is due to the film type or filters used, so red can be very dark or a lot lighter.

I'm leaning towards Bettie wearing a red dress and the name in red, but I wouldn't worry about it an go with what you have because we cant be positive without a colour photo.

• Like 1

Before applying OD I painted silver colour with glossy laquer. Than I masked silver parts.

I saw that you painted the gear in OD colour. Is that normal for early T-bolt? It is possible that the gear is not OD but Neutral grey? What do you think?

Edited by zegeye
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zegeye said:

Before applying OD I painted silver colour with glossy laquer. Than I masked silver parts.

I saw that you painted the gear in OD colour. Is that normal for early T-bolt? It is possible that the gear is not OD but Neutral grey? What do you think?

The legs were painted OD up to and including at least some D-25's, after that they were aluminum lacquer.

Thunderbolt_II_30_Sqn_RAF_at_Jumchar_194

media-377472.jpg?itok=_iozUp6M

Though it didn't always stick well...

82CC1C0FE2084341ABEDC095AAA5F35B.jpg&key

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...