Identification of a couple of old tins of Humbrol

Bonhoff

Hi,

Got three tins of Humbrol Paint in front of me. 

Two are Humbrol 28 but aren't the light grey that is the current 28, these are more akin to Sky.  

The first 28 is in a tinlet that has a mid blue base bearing the label "Non poisonous" and with the word "Matt" either side of the word "Enamel" - The pigment is suspended in a purply liquid (Carrier?) and when painted out dries to a Sky like colour but with a hint of grey to it.  

Second 28 is in a tinlet with a grey base also stating "Non Poisonous" on it - the pigment is suspended in a greenish carrier and when painted out is slightly lighter than my other Sky paints, having a slightly yellowy-green cast to it.

Both tins have the same coloured lid.

The other tinlet (37) is as described directly above with a grey base and appears to be a gloss duck egg green.

Any ideas?

I'm assuming that they date back to the early 70s 

TIA

IanJ

I can't help but I'm sure keen to hear the answer to your query, this sounds much like my tin of 28 which paints out to anything but a grey colour, more like a greyish sky as you describe. Maybe @John can cast some light on the subject.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

The original Humbrol range was considerably smaller and contained many colours that have been discontinued and the numbers subsequently reused.

Number 28 was indeed Sky. I managed to get hold of an unopened six-pack of these a couple of years ago.

Number 37 was Spring Green. I suspect that this was one of several colours which may have had household applications,. I think I have one of these too.

Cheers,

Mark. 

• Thanks 1

28 should be a Light Grey; its colour matched to the Light Gray FS36622 used by the USAF as the under colour on their aeroplanes in the Vietnam SEAC scheme

37 is just 'Bright Green'. I have it my list as 'Spring Green'

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

28 should be a Light Grey; its colour matched to the Light Gray FS36622 used by the USAF as the under colour on their aeroplanes in the Vietnam SEAC scheme

37 is just 'Bright Green'. I have it my list as 'Spring Green'

It was Sky until circa 1974. The number was reused later with the light grey later, possibly in 1988. There are a number of other numbers which were repurposed, such as No. 1 which was originally Eau de Nil and later became grey primer.

• Thanks 1

Sorted!

I guess the greyer Sky paint might work for early WW2 Sky Grey then and the other, slightly more beige tinlet, which isn't too far off the mark compared with the brand new tin of 90 purchased today, will probably work on the Seafire 47 that is being built at the moment. 

Thanks All

IanJ

28 Sky on the right in a "Grey Stripe" tin and 23 Duck Egg Blue on the left in a slightly earlier "Blue Stripe Matt" tin:

23amp28_zpszntlxefc.jpg

28 was a pretty good Sky:

Hu28_zpsth1j9rgo.jpg

A pristine pot of 37 Gloss Spring Green:

The flash has washed it out a bit.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2