1/48 - Hawker Hart, Demon & Audax by Arsenal Model Group (AMG) - Hart, Demon & Audax released - Hardy & Hind ?

Homebee

On 7/2/2018 at 1:37 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Wow! Brilliant! What are the chances of this kit being molded to allow the Audax, Demon, Hardy, Hind, and Osprey to be produced as well?

I couldn't agree more. Please AMG, release the entire family. There are so many interesting "between the wars" aircraft that need to be done in 1/48. Count me in for at least two Harts. Thank you AMG!

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I couldn't agree more. Please AMG, release the entire family. There are so many interesting "between the wars" aircraft that need to be done in 1/48. Count me in for at least two Harts. Thank you AMG!

I have a 'friend' who builds SAAF aircraft and I'm sure he would love to see a kit of the Hartebeest.

Another vote for the whole family.

Interestingly enough, I've just searched the Big H's web site, from which it appears that there are presently no 1:48 scale aftermarket decal sheets available for the Hart - an oversight that I trust SOMEBODY is planning to address in quick time!

37 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Another vote for the whole family.

Interestingly enough, I've just searched the Big H's web site, from which it appears that there are presently no 1:48 scale aftermarket decal sheets available for the Hart - an oversight that I trust SOMEBODY is planning to address in quick time!

I too would like to see the whole series.

As for decals, Modeldecal 108 provided lots of squadron markings and wouldn't be a bad starting place for someone like Xtradecal for instance... :whistle:

14 hours ago, Wez said:

As for decals, Modeldecal 108 provided lots of squadron markings and wouldn't be a bad starting place for someone like Xtradecal for instance... :whistle:

Prezactly how what's left of my mind was working ...

I may well be wrong but looking at the Hart pics, there are two different upper fuselage sections for pilot and gunner.  To my hopeful mind it appears that one may be for a Demon.  Can anyone shed any light?

It depends which Hind. There were many variations and mod states. The whole question of Hart variants is an expert-level subject in itself, and while I know a bit about them I am not an expert.

Examples: it's only fairly recently that most of us even noticed that the Demon has a shallower rear fuselage than the main family, and then (in my case at least) only from the rare co-incidence of there being a Hind and a Demon standing next to each other together at Old Warden.  And a lot of people over the years have built Hart Trainers without realising that the upper wing sweep is different on those.

It sounds as if you may have a specific Hind in mind. If so, if you can point it out that would be a good starting point. It appears that the AMG kit comes with the options of both a tailwheel in place of the skid and the later cut-away style gunner's position in addition to the original one, so those are a good start. With those changes  in place the basic airframe is the same but it's all the details like little cockpit windows, equipment fit, armament, exhausts, prop and so on where the Hind and Hart can differ visibly.  

If you are modelling the Shuttleworth example that would help as there are loads of pics available.

However, in general I suggest you slide over to the inter-war aircraft section and as a warm-up read this related thread

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I received a complimentary copy of the AMG Hawker Hart as I have provided some tech and design assistance to the company. I haven't 'tooth combed' it yet but the moulding and detail is exceptional. there are two top decks provided, one Hart/ Audax and one Hind type there is also a tail wheel (very fragile) on the wheels sprue. There are two centre sections, the single fuel tank and the twin fuel tank type.

I'm not in a position to discuss any future plans but here is a personal reminder on a couple of variants mentioned by members.

The Hawker Demon has a lower rear top decking than that of the Hart and Hind and this is the base for the Hartebees  and the Australian Demon. so this release is not suitable for these sub types.

This kit can be the base for the Kestrel engined Audax, Hardy and Hind.

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John Aero said:

Today I received a complimentary copy of the AMG Hawker Hart as I have provided some tech and design assistance to the company. I haven't 'tooth combed' it yet but the moulding and detail is exceptional. there are two top decks provided, one Hart/ Audax and one Hind type there is also a tail wheel (very fragile) on the wheels sprue. There are two centre sections, the single fuel tank and the twin fuel tank type.

I'm not in a position to discuss any future plans but here is a personal reminder on a couple of variants mentioned by members.

The Hawker Demon has a lower rear top decking than that of the Hart and Hind and this is the base for the Hartebees  and the Australian Demon. so this release is not suitable for these sub types.

John

Thank you for this information John. I'll look out for your further thoughts and perhaps some progress on this kit :) 

On 20/02/2019 at 20:07, John Aero said:

John

Hello John. Thanks for the consultation again. )) Responding to questions of interest. Planned a huge number of modifications, it all depends on sales. ps (sorry for the English. at school it was not))))

• Like 4

Sorry I am late to reply. I'm pleased to help.  Though I'm just inundated with finding answers and drawings for third parties. The two seat inter-war Hawkers of which most versions can be made from a Hart/Hind, and a Demon will cover the Australian GP Demon and the virtually identical Hartbees / Hartebeest which ever version of spelling. The difficult ones are the Hector and the Osprey, both requiring new wings. and other changes The radial engined Hart/ Hind variants need a new front fuselage and engines.

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi
How accurate are the 1/48 scale drawings of the Hawker Hart in the MMP Books 1/48 Scale plans no.2?

When comparing those drawing to the AMG kit fuselage, the AMG kit is about 5mm longer between the prop and the rudder base.

/Johan

Johan,

My drawings are missing from my copy of the MMP book at present. However I think it's fair to say that if the drawings don't fit then it's probable that they are in error. There are many Hart family drawings around with many being based on published originals

All the research information I supplied to AGM was based on measurements on the full-size aeroplane which I had made myself, or were from a cache of original Hawker drawings of which I was  allowed to research and being equally fortunate in having the real aeroplane within a few feet. 

I redrew some of these drawings in order to clarify some areas such as the ones here regarding the fin, tailplane and elevator relationship or wherever questions were asked. From then on it was in the hands of the CAD designer and which I think he did a brilliant job.

I hope this helps.

John

The Red top bar adjacent to the gunners cockpit is the aircraft datum.

Neg990_zpsga9p31mm.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

John,

Knowing you had a helping hand in this kit, my suspicions was towards the drawings not being "the best" rather than a fault with the kit.

The problem I have is that I have a (ambitious) goal to try and convert the AMG kit to the radial engined Swedish B 4 version.
But if I can't trust the drawing in the MMP book, that makes things a bit harder.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flarpen said:

John,

Knowing you had a helping hand in this kit, my suspicions was towards the drawings not being "the best" rather than a fault with the kit.

The problem I have is that I have a (ambitious) goal to try and convert the AMG kit to the radial engined Swedish B 4 version.
But if I can't trust the drawing in the MMP book, that makes things a bit harder.

I feel your pain. I have encountered the same issue with the Fury, compounded by some Airfix mouldings being a lot rougher than others. I suppose it's all part of the fun.

@John Aero you don't get enough recognition for the work you continue to do that others may benefit. I Thank You completely and sincerely.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, flarpen said:

erm,  your profile says you are in Linkoping,  which a quick check revealed....

The Swedish Air Force Museum (in Swedish, Flygvapenmuseum) is located at Malmen Airbase in Malmslätt, just outside Linköping, Sweden.

So... can't you study the real thing?

IIRC the main differences are in the fin and engine, the rest is basically the same,

There are drawings in the "Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hart: In Combat with the Swedish Voluntary Wing F19, Finland 1940 by Mikael Forslund "  as well. 

Do the research, make the masters,  start your own AM company....    many would thank you ! ;) 

• Haha 1

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen, 

I have actually replaced the above drawing with a better updated page.

However, I would suggest that you check the drawings you might intend to use, that they are in fact printed to the right scale. so often this is the first cause of errors. If you haven't got a first class scale rule then convert the real wing span (37' 4" = 448 " inches) and length of Swedish B.4 Hart,  (28' 1" = 337" inches) (if in Imperial) into metric  which should give you Span 11.35 m and length 8.56 m. Divide the results by 48 and you have a model span of 236.5 mm and a length of 178.33 mm. If your drawing doesn't match these figures then it's of the wrong scale.

The best drawings of the Swedish B.4 are probably those by Torstein Landstrom in Kontakt No 79 Dec 1986.

I hope that this will help. The AMG rear fuselage  fits these Swedish drawings.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I feel your pain. I have encountered the same issue with the Fury, compounded by some Airfix mouldings being a lot rougher than others. I suppose it's all part of the fun.

@John Aero you don't get enough recognition for the work you continue to do that others may benefit. I Thank You completely and sincerely.

Here, Here. So say we all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

erm,  your profile says you are in Linkoping,  which a quick check revealed....

So... can't you study the real thing?

IIRC the main differences are in the fin and engine, the rest is basically the same,

There are drawings in the "Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hart: In Combat with the Swedish Voluntary Wing F19, Finland 1940 by Mikael Forslund "  as well. 

Do the research, make the masters,  start your own AM company....    many would thank you ! ;) 

Ah right.
Thanks for reminding me. 😁

I do have quite easy access to the real thing as you say, so reference photos are not hard to come by. But to get close to it and take measurements is another story.

As you say, a different engine and fwd fuselage plus a bigger fin needs to be addressed.
But the biggest thing (in my mind) is that you have to relocate the gun installation from the left to the right hand side of the fuselage and there is differences in the service door locations as well.

• Like 1