1/48 - Hawker Hart, Demon & Audax by Arsenal Model Group (AMG) - Hart, Demon & Audax released - Hardy & Hind ?

Homebee

3 hours ago, John Aero said:

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen, 

I have actually replaced the above drawing with a better updated page.

However, I would suggest that you check the drawings you might intend to use, that they are in fact printed to the right scale. so often this is the first cause of errors. If you haven't got a first class scale rule then convert the real wing span (37' 4" = 448 " inches) and length of Swedish B.4 Hart,  (28' 1" = 337" inches) (if in Imperial) into metric  which should give you Span 11.35 m and length 8.56 m divide the results by 48 and you have a model span of 236.5 mm and a length of 178.33 mm. If your drawing doesn't match these figures then it's of the wrong scale.

The best drawings of the Swedish B.4 are probably those by Torstein Landstrom in Kontakt No 79 Dec 1986.

I hope that this will help. The AMG rear fuselage  fits these Swedish drawings.

Thanks John
Appreciate the support.

And you would be correct in your suspicions.

The side drawings are not to that scale, but the top drawings match a lot better, not exact but close enough.

Edited by flarpen

Colour call outs.

I've just been asked for assistance on this. so I will share my findings here.

John

Interior colours for the Hart family do vary a bit. Most metal frames and components (Harts and Hinds) I've come across are a Mid Grey including the seat, but some seats are aluminium,  However I think some early Hart/Audax might have had Black frames as I have photos of contemporary Hawker production types (Tomtit, Fury) which do have Black frames.  Shuttleworth's Hind has a Black frame the RAF Museum's is Grey.  Early types such as the Hart usually have the woodwork in a natural  honey brown varnish but on the Hartebees in South Africa, (grey frame, as do several ex Afghan and New Zealand Hinds) and the cockpit wood work and interior metal sides, are cockpit green.

Harnesses were khaki, yellowy brown. The Pilot wore a full harness and  sat on his parachute, the gunners chest type clip on parachute, was the same colour and was stowed  just behind the pilots seat. The gunners seat had a simple frame with a canvas top and a leather cushion and the whole seat swung back under the pilots seat when not being used. It is wrongly described as the radio frame in the MMP book.

So with the cockpits empty the gunners seat would swing back, leaving only his shoulder harness. The pilots seat would be empty except for his lap strap and shoulder harness.

The inside fabric areas are faded speckled Red oxide pink on the cream of the fabric. The gunners floor is varnished wood. The panel is (usually) Grey with Black faced, Black rimmed, instruments which have White figures. The throttle group is anodised aluminium. The gun ring is satin anodised aluminium. The aluminium is not as bright as the external aluminium paint finish of the aircraft. The wheels are anodised aluminium. Trim wheels were a Grey colour with brown wood or later Tufnal rims.

Propellers: These were often Honduras Mahogany, but fabric covered over the wood and then doped. The fabric is fitted first under the brass leading edges strips. and the whole prop is painted to a high finish. very occasionally the Brass is exposed. Colours do vary from Dark Grey, Pale Grey, and Cream, often with Black backs to the blades.  Some props were Black, overall, later with Yellow tips. The tapered hub, which is always painted, as it's a built up wooden structure on the inner laminated propeller core, often carried Flight colours, or it was the overall prop colour. The spinner cap was bright Aluminium with the Huck's Dog being steel.  Some very early Harts had Black struts and this would suggest that the frames were also Black. Most struts were Aluminium Dope. The fuselage inspection panels under the tail plane were sometimes left natural metal, often on the Yellow painted trainers.

Note that the a/c below has a small section of the varnished Mahogany wood visible, either side of the spinner. Please also note that the wing fabric has been laid on in a diagonal fashion (you can just see the seams). This was quite usual.

img383_zpslvzihmqz.jpg

Edited by John Aero
detail and additions plus photo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Just wanted to say a big thank you to 'John Aero' for the post above, which answered pretty much every question I had about interior colours for the Hart.....

I got a copy of the kit on Friday and have to say it looks great in the box.....AMG seem to have come on in leaps and bounds since their first releases. I can't wait to see what they do next!

• Like 2

Very interesting information indeed, John! Whenever I get round to building the score of so of Hart variants I have (all in 1/72nd scale), this interior colour information will come in very handy. Now I have to say this; I hope AMG do very well with this kit, so well in fact that they downscale it to 1/72nd scale and do every single Hart variant. There, I said it and I'm glad!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Learstang said:

Very interesting information indeed, John! Whenever I get round to building the score of so of Hart variants I have (all in 1/72nd scale), this interior colour information will come in very handy. Now I have to say this; I hope AMG do very well with this kit, so well in fact that they downscale it to 1/72nd scale and do every single Hart variant. There, I said it and I'm glad!

Regards,

Jason

72 scale was not planned. so much competition. but if there is a big request then this is not a problem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ivan Shepel said:

72 scale was not planned. so much competition. but if there is a big request then this is not a problem.

You've definitely got one request here! It's true that you can buy most of the Hart variants in 1/72nd scale, but you have to go to many sources (I know this from doing it) - ancient Airfix kits, long OOP Aeroclub kits, (fairly) recent limited run kits (some now OOP and almost impossible to obtain), and resin kits. It would be great if one manufacturer would come out with a comprehensive set of Hart variant kits in good, modern quality new injection-moulded plastic. I would be the first in line for what would hopefully be a long line of modellers.

Best Regards,

Jason

I do not want to give hope in vain. Perhaps next year there will be the first model in 72. and in the future, the 72 line will duplicate 48. all will show the sales of the first model in 72.

about compliance with the drawings. all linear dimensions correspond to the table from the book - Alex Crafwford Hawker Hart Family page 152. with the drawings, you need to be careful since many have the proportions broken. if you scale the length of the fuselage, then the span may not lie in the reference data. as i do I scale a concrete element of the structure (wing, fuselage, etc.) and compare the part with the drawing.

(p.s. if something incomprehensible ask again. The translator does not always translate correctly. excuse me)

• Like 2

As with any small company, present kit sales, fund the next generation of projects. So basically it's buy the kits and fund the future. But modellers will always want the version or scale which you didn't do,  The present Hart kit does have enough parts  such as the two wing centre section tank arrangements and Hart /Hind cockpit options plus the tail wheel or skid, to do several different Hart derivatives.

I will be happy to assist on any future projects if it's within my remit or knowledge.

John 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 16:45, Ivan Shepel said:

Definitive 1/72 kits are very much needed and if you scaled down your 1/48 version, it would be definitive.  Best 1/72 kits currently are the A-Model/Avis, but they didn't do all versions and quality is only 6.5/10.  Plenty of room for improvement.

Lots of modellers would build the whole family in 1/72, but only build a couple in 1/48.

• Like 3

I'd also be in for a bunch of Hart/Demon/Hinds in 1/72.  A lot of my old kits would be up for sale, cheap!

P. S.  I bet I could beat Texas to the front of the line!

Bob C

• Like 1

Having picked up my Hart in the week I can honestly say this is one of the best model kits I’ve ever seen in the sprue- wonderful engraved details and finesse. Negative points? None to speak of, the Lewis gun isn’t very good and the blue on the roundels is definitely suspect but they are really minor quibbles. From the break down further versions will be forthcoming Hind/Demon/Osprey maybe even a float version? 

A wonderful kit and my highlight of 2019 so far- it won’t be my last AMG kit if they’re all this good!

we need Modeldecal to enlarge their decal sheet from 72nd and people will need MMP to reprint their Hart family book (had a devil of a job getting one at less than £3500 asked on amazon!😀)

well done AMG! 

TT

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

A wonderful kit and my highlight of 2019 so far- it won’t be my last AMG kit if they’re all this good!

Couldn't agree more.....and if anyone from AMG is listening, a new 1/48 kit of the Hawker Fury and the Bristol Bulldog to the same standard would be great - I'd buy a half-dozen of each at least!

• Like 2

On 23.03.2019 at 00:27, hopkp said:

Не могу согласиться больше ..... и если кто-то из AMG слушает, новый 1/48 комплект Hawker Fury и Bristol Bulldog по одному и тому же стандарту был бы отличным - я бы купил полдюжины каждого по крайней мере!

Hello Over time, virtually the entire line is planned. There will be a float and a deck.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ivan Shepel said:

Hello Over time, virtually the entire line is planned. There will be a float and a deck.

Does that include the Swedish version with the Bristol Mercury / Pegasus Engine?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivan Shepel said:

yes Swedes and Finns are planning

That is Fabulous news.
The kit looks great so that is something well worth the wait.
If you need any references I could probably help with pictures.

Ukrainian review: http://www.greenmats.club/reviews.html/amg/68_aircrafts-148/amg-148-hawker-hart-i-48902-r70/

Instructions

01.thumb.jpg.bc51d68fc0c308b962569ff8ad402.thumb.jpg.af892649ebf2537bfeab84dca07 03.thumb.jpg.080cd3300174170f6bc583f35f904.thumb.jpg.d324269ce6f7a3600768c519da3

05.thumb.jpg.8ba1c5fc6b4da8fe525e951f4b3 06.thumb.jpg.a24c05098c09a98f7391e9a5704 07.thumb.jpg.39c57fb73561c9d9450c674276d 08.thumb.jpg.6f53c17c7bcabab5dacbf66fa92

09.thumb.jpg.3b1f00f0ddb8f2db9999ab8f09b 10.thumb.jpg.37e96885bc9d0902897068e6004

Sprue A

A.jpg

Sprue B

B.jpg

Sprue C

C.jpg

Sprue D

D.jpg

Sprue E

E.jpg

Sprue F

F.jpg

Sprue G

G.jpg

Sprue H

https://postimg.cc/47KqmYDF/0f4408f1

Sprue I

I.jpg

J.jpg  K.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2400748120237635&id=1505395696439553

84844434-2400744086904705-54702713913097

84831865-2400744076904706-32410234243986

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Stopped by Dora Wings stand at ModellBrno today and took a view of the Hart. Looks magnificent in the box. So I asked about 1/72, and unfortunately the answer was not exactly positive, at least not from a short term point of view.

• Like 1