Razorback, silverlady

Hewy

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring with the tamiya 1/48  razor back kit, i'll be doing a bare metal finish, its the silverlady of the 56th fg, flown by witold lanowski, i believe it was the fighter groups flagship, seen here as I'll be depicting her in d day livery,  I'll crack on. 

Glynn

XFjUEUT.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Glynn. Looking forward to seeing you create another one of your masterpieces with this kit. Good choice of subject too. :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. Looking forward to seeing you create another one of your masterpieces with this kit. Good choice of subject too. :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix, I'll probably use your great start for color references in the pit though 😁,  as you've set a high standard as usual, 

Another picture of the silverlady

c1DZzPO.jpg

And its  polish pilot witol lanowski, who  also flew for the raf during ww2 

jY6pLON.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Patrice, I really fancied doing a razorback with D day stripes,especially in bmf, there were two more on the list of maybes, zombie and Maggie,  also there are  later pictures of silverlady with a  malcolm hood conversion, i'll keep this simple though 

Cheers 

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
Phone auto spell
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Glynn, both of the ever popular Tamya kit and the markings, there is something about a P-47 in invasion stripes and she will make a good partner for your excellent Typhoon.

It will craig, it'll be interesting to see the side by side size comparisons, hopfully being tamiya it will prove  to be trouble free, 

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 1

A bit of a start before i got sidetracked by a certain football game, I'll carry on today

I've also got masks, and a quickboost resin seat with molded on seatbels, 

ALq7mrI.jpg

7WPe14Z.jpg

psdIF7W.jpg

• Like 8

Current state of play,

Cockpit painted and assembled, and fuselage together, no problems at all, its a dream of a kit

GhaVnzM.jpg

d5MWfPU.jpg

I cut off the plastic glass on the gun sight and replaced it with a piece of acetate, easier to paint and it looks a smidgion better

fhSifK5.jpg

RzEWohm.jpg

Cheers. 

Glynn 

• Like 11

Great looking cockpit. I see you’ve added a bit of wiring to the IP. When you fit the part that holds the armoured plate it will be hard to see, I found this out after wiring  one up. There’s also an optional glare shield which completely covers this area but isn’t mentioned in the instructions which was sometimes fitted.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Great looking cockpit. I see you’ve added a bit of wiring to the IP. When you fit the part that holds the armoured plate it will be hard to see, I found this out after wiring  one up. There’s also an optional glare shield which completely covers this area but isn’t mentioned in the instructions which was sometimes fitted.

Cheers Tbolt , thanks for the heads up with the glare shield, i was unsure how much would actually be seen, not a lot now its together, but i enjoyed an afternoon on it anyway.

Glynn 

Yeah I’m quite good at adding detail that is hard to see on the finished model without a good flashlight ;) it’s nice to know it’s there but sometimes I wonder if I would get more finished if I didn’t worry about these things.

• Haha 2

A litte bit of work on the razorback, today i did a little bit of  wiring on the engine, although again, not a lot to see when together, i couldn't resist getting a start on the painting, not the finished article not by a long way, but its a start

Cheers

Glynn 

begyAvR.jpg

2uaWlxg.jpg

Those chips on the cowl are due to rushing, they'll be turned into paint chips in the weathering at the end

NSmL8Q2.jpg

McyBVnN.jpg

• Like 12

Cracking job there, looks really good.

Just one small point though, you seem to have used two types of distributors - you've got the round type on the left and the hexagonal type on the right! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Cracking job there, looks really good.

Just one small point though, you seem to have used two types of distributors - you've got the round type on the left and the hexagonal type on the right! 

Doh, I'm no jug experten, cheers tb I'll prize one off and fit 2 the same🤡, fortunately the front end isn't glued

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Doh, I'm no jug experten, cheers tb I'll prize one off and fit 2 the same🤡, fortunately the front end isn't glued

Cheers

Glynn 

The hexagonal type is completely wrong for a Razorback, never should have been in the kit, so Tamiya have made things more confusing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great work so far Glynn,love the engine detail.

Thanks steve, blew my eyes apart that, 

9 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

The hexagonal type is completely wrong for a Razorback, never should have been in the kit, so Tamiya have made things more confusing.

Good job you told me that, round one it is

Ta, 

Glynn 

• Like 2