Hitting the Wall.

Bear Paw

Hello All,  bit of a different post today. I have recently completed Revell’s 1/48 scale Fokker Dr1   and it has been a struggle.  I used Aviatic brush decals which were fine, I then used Montex masks in stead of decals on top of the decals - tricky and had to use a lot of gloss sealant.  Eventually all done and placed the model on a base on the book shelf. I adjusted its position knocked a row of books over and they smashed my model. All the Undercarriage struts were broken in half and the cross brace rigging snapped.  

I have carefully packed it away in a box on a top shelf until the urge to throw it out of the window has gone away.   

Has anyone else got to the last stage only to drop, melt or stand on their model?  I nearly burst a blood vessel!  

😏

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Been there, done that.  Anyway, the last time i threw a kit against the wall (the floor in my case), was a Smer Fiat CR32, and no catastrophe was in sight....just a fit of panic...

And talkin' about books, collapsing shelves, broken kits, etc.....suffered something similar last week.

Cheers...

• Thanks 1

Ouch. I had finished the interior (with lots of scratchbuilding) of an Sdkfz. 251 and then dropped a pile of board games on top of it. Not as devastating as your loss as it was only an old Tamiya kit that I wasn't finished, but still, I feel your pain.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I've learned from bitter experience that models and bookshelves do not mix well. I've had more than one "masterpiece" meet their end that way. And even if the damage is minor, I can rarely summon up the enthusiasm to fix it.

IMHO, one of the biggest downsides of our hobby is the fragility of the finished product. A model will be in its best condition immediately after you complete it--from then onward it will inevitably start to degrade, and there is very little that can be done to completely stop that process. Even display cabinets do not offer complete protection. If they are not hermetically sealed, dust will get in. Periodic dusting exposes the model to all sorts of potential damage just from handling, and if they aren't periodically dusted, over time the dust will "glue" itself on and be difficult to remove short of scrubbing.

I envy modelers who can build just for the enjoyment of the process and care little about what happens to the finished model.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I recently had nearly finished an Eduard Bristol Fighter when it caught in my sleeve and took a short flight to the floor. Wing off the struts but the rigging held, still, a bit of a mess. I did as you and boxed it for a while until it was safe, then repaired it.

Slightly related, once when I moved house  a Copper State Models 1/48th Gotha G.III made it into the hobby room to be, then before I could move it against the wall a kindly removal man kicked it into the corner for me. Still in one piece, but the top wing moved 1 cm to the left. Since it was rigged with Wonder Wire (a hard to find ceramic wire that works really well), the stuff all bowed or pulled loose at one end depending on if it was a flying or a lift wire. That one (12 years on) still awaits dis and re- assembly. The other casualty of that move was a Roden DH2, the box of which a helpful fellow turned upside down then threw in a van for me. That one got repaired.

The one I regret most is the Aeroclub FE2b. That one fell off a shelf, was repaired, and later disintegrated during a (different) rehousing. Like the DH2, I kept it, along with the Koster Hannover a shelf fell onto. You never know, thrown away you certainly won't repair them, but kept, well, you might.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Amo Aero said:

I envy modelers who can build just for the enjoyment of the process and care little about what happens to the finished model.

I think I perfectly fit into that descripion......Most o my finished models rest into cardboard boxes, piled high into a closet....or even worst, at my parent's basement....OK, no mositure or damp there, at least......

• Like 1

Took weeks building a model for a third party once, and as it was nearly finished I felt that I just needed once final coat of varnish as some of the decals weren't properly blended in etc.  Trouble was that I'd already removed the masking from the transparencies and I watched in horror as the cellulose varnish did its thing.

• Sad 2

Thanks for sharing it is some how reassuring to know it is not just me. The problem I am left with now is a complete loss of mojo?  I have an Airfix HP 400 and Be2 backed up gathering dust and not touched for a couple of weeks.  

I will do what I normally do when hit with this - tidy and reorganise my work space replace and replenish tools paint etc.  and make a model from the stash OOB quickly.  

How do people overcome the mojo thing?  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

How do people overcome the mojo thing?  

Build a Spitfire.......it works for me....👍

And enjoy a refreshing pint of Worthington's while you're staring at your stash, deciding wich one to build....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artie said:

.......enjoy a refreshing pint of Worthington's while you're staring at your stash, deciding which one to build....

Eeyuk! Artie my friend, Worthington's doesn't count as beer over here, it's brewed by .......coors! and is nearly as bad as.......bud! :sick:

Sorry about the swearing gents.....

Bear Paw, get some Everards Tiger down yer neck, or, at a force put, some Marston's Peddi.......:wicked:

Paul"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tirpitz in 1/700 with full PE. First time I'd attempted any PE in this scale. Just finishing off with the last of the halyards to signal deck etc. with EZ line Her Ladyship of late (the cat at the time) decided to galumph her way across work area thus destroying Tirpitz far quicker than an X Craft or other means. I couldn't get angry; it's a cat. It's what they do.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Artie said:

I think I perfectly fit into that descripion......Most o my finished models rest into cardboard boxes, piled high into a closet....or even worst, at my parent's basement....OK, no mositure or damp there, at least......

My finished models used to go into cardboard boxes filled with plastic peanuts, then the boxes went in to an unheated, uninsulated shed attic--not good! Some of the models warped from the extreme heat, the plastic peanuts glued themselves to the models and left awful stains, mice got into the boxes, nibbled on the plastic and left even more awful stains. After over 20 years, none of the models were salvageable. A house move later, I began storing my models in plastic storage boxes. They were still in an unheated outbuilding, but they weren't in the attic, so that was OK. Three years ago and another house move, I finally got some display cases from a store going out of business. I'm finally able to enjoy my completed builds. The downside is the cabinets do allow some dust to enter. I realize now those plastic storage boxes were perfect for preserving the models--no dust or mice could get in. Even so, the joy of seeing my models every day outweighs any accumulating dust. 

On 7/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, PhoenixII said:

Eeyuk! Artie my friend, Worthington's doesn't count as beer over here, it's brewed by .......coors! and is nearly as bad as.......bud! :sick:

Sorry about the swearing gents.....

Bear Paw, get some Everards Tiger down yer neck, or, at a force put, some Marston's Peddi.......:wicked:

Paul"

Marstons Pedigree is an excellent pint and one of my very favourites.  I am not sure I could model on it though😏

On 7/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, Amo Aero said:

My finished models used to go into cardboard boxes filled with plastic peanuts, then the boxes went in to an unheated, uninsulated shed attic--not good! Some of the models warped from the extreme heat, the plastic peanuts glued themselves to the models and left awful stains, mice got into the boxes, nibbled on the plastic and left even more awful stains. After over 20 years, none of the models were salvageable. A house move later, I began storing my models in plastic storage boxes. They were still in an unheated outbuilding, but they weren't in the attic, so that was OK. Three years ago and another house move, I finally got some display cases from a store going out of business. I'm finally able to enjoy my completed builds. The downside is the cabinets do allow some dust to enter. I realize now those plastic storage boxes were perfect for preserving the models--no dust or mice could get in. Even so, the joy of seeing my models every day outweighs any accumulating dust. 

I don’t display any of my models they are all in plastic storage boxes. All kept beautifully but never seen.  

I have a 1/48 scale Tamiya tank destroyer on my desk at the moment.  It is looking very er..... tank like, and I fancy making a model and then painting the whole thing.  Very straight forward.  

• 1 month later...

I was building Tamiya's 1:32 F-4D for a friend who flew the aircraft in Vietnam.

The model was pretty much complete bar the external painting and because of its size I placed it on the floor temporarily with the mental admonishment "Do NOT step on it!"

Shortly afterwards I stepped backwards onto it...

Words were said. Bad ones.

Thankfully the damage was surprisingly limited and I was able to recover the situation with a few hours of remedial work.

• Like 1

I have done a variation of that twobad. That moment of realisation of what you have done is hard to get over.  Once you have a good look it is surprising how little damage is usually done.

Andrew.  

• Thanks 1

Try having rowdy 23 and 28 year old girls. I came in from work one day to find a Lightning, Thunderbolt, and two Hurricanes all taken out at the same time! Never mind they said, they can be repaired - trouble is once they've been broken to me they aren't they same if you have to repair them. And in fairness I did get a Wessex and Apache as replacements.

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2018 at 6:38 PM, Darby said:

Tirpitz in 1/700 with full PE. First time I'd attempted any PE in this scale. Just finishing off with the last of the halyards to signal deck etc. with EZ line Her Ladyship of late (the cat at the time) decided to galumph her way across work area thus destroying Tirpitz far quicker than an X Craft or other means. I couldn't get angry; it's a cat. It's what they do.

Aaah, cats and models. A combination full of potential. Over on Steel Navy somebody announced that he (or rather his wife...) had just got two kittens and asked for naming suggestions. We suggested Nimitz and Doenitz, as between them they had destroyed more ships than anybody in history. He got the point.

Edited by TallBlondJohn
  • Haha 3

All mine get shoved into shoe boxes in the garage.

I do have a furry accomplice, but she’s more interested in the brushes than the plastic.

40723423131_7380b28092_b.jpg

Never had a modelling disaster myself,  but I remember reading about Alan Hall in Scale Aircraft Modelling doing a Nimrod biplane based on the Matchbox Fury. He had the finished article photographed on his hotel balcony and immediately afterwards it was blown away and crashed several floors below 😢

Trevor