Stinson Reliant in british service....

Artie

Hi all.......I've been given this kit, wich IMHO, is one of the most  beautiful planes from the golden era of aviation.....Looks like the "handsome and stylish" cousin of a Lysander...

mVM5n5p73hvay5t5HwinD5A.jpg

can't say nothing about accuracy, but seems to be a nice kit.....I'd like to represent a british machine, RN or RAF.  While browsing on the web, I've came across this pic:

p652164833-3.jpg

Any idea about colours, operational service, etc...????

The first thing I know I must modify is the windscreen, wich won't be too difficult to do with some clear acetate sheet.

Best regards...!!!!!

Edited by Artie

Colours were Dark Green and Dark Earth over Yellow or possibly Sky.  They were used as comms aircraft, so quite possibly the latter.  Most of the photos I found were of restored SR-19(?)s with smooth cowlings, so don't count for two different reasons.  The RAF impressed 11 civil Reliants at the beginning of the war.  Air Britain serials lists 11 "of various marks".  Seven were registered in the W block and all went to 1 Communications Unit, survivors to 24 Sq or assorted units.   W7981 was ex G-AFHB, served with 1 CU, 24 Sq, Andover, and the Maintenance Command Communications Squadron, returning to civil life postwar.  Four more were separately  impressed in the X block, three went to the ATA and one to School of Technical Training.  The navy received 500 of the AT-19 version which they used to some extent as nav trainers but mainly as comms aircraft. photos only show smooth cowlings.

I don't know about being a stylish Lysander - it is after all a fun aircraft whereas the Lysander was a real working one, an awful lot bigger and more powerful.  More like a rather podgy Puss Moth?

• Like 2

Hi, Graham.....Thank you very much for your, as usual, useful information......Throughout the years, I've developed a liking for all kinds of second line planes, both training or comms subjects....and this one is a perfect example of a beauty serving as a soldier...

525012.jpg

• Like 2

It is a nice kit, and the aeroplane itself is rather pleasing: it's a very practical four-seat tourer. While you can go faster for less fuel burn these days, you can't necessarily arrive in more style this side of a Beech Staggerwing.  If I had the money sitting around I'd be rather tempted by this lovely restored example for £100K, and the pics might be useful for some detail shots (it's pretty much the same aeroplane as the kit version, just with a different radial engine)

https://www.ataviation.uk/listings/stinson-v77-reliant-gullwing/

There are many variants of Reliant. I have (from not too long time) an old vac formed kit in stash , but do not know too much about this type. Here it looks like in one tone (Olive drab?) camo: 

reliant.jpg

Here ia a restored machine in TSS with yellow belly

DSC_3498.jpg

http://www.vg-photo.com/airshow/2014/oshkosh/reliant.html

and here is WWII photo of similar pattern

british-servicemen-carrying-out-maintena

Googling I have not foud DkEarth/Dk Green one...

Regards

J-W

Not really surprising: there were 500 of the later version with the smooth engine cowling (AT-19s) provided to the FAA, hence in TSS.  Note that the aircraft in the Getty photo above carries the small SEAC roundels but with white central discs, as used by the FAA, whereas the RAF and IAF used light blue centres.  Several of the personnel have navy hats.  On the other hand there were only 11 civil aircraft impressed by the RAF, which included at least one with the blistered cowling.  Possibly all did, but I don't know.

The b&w photo at the top of your posting is not in OD, as it has clear signs of disruptive painting on the tail and rear fuselage.  I think it can be made out on parts of the wing too, but there's too much glare.

Edited by Graham Boak