Model Airplane International - July 2018

Jon Bryon

Has anyone who's a subscriber received their copy of this yet?

I've seen the front cover online and see that there's yet another build article of the Eduard Fw190. The diet of this magazine is becoming rather thin...

Jon

There was a post on another forum regarding one of the other titles from the same publisher saying that there were problems with the printer which have now been resolved but everything is running a little late as a result.     Personally I always though the content of MAI was a bit thin and gave up completely when they stopped running Richard Caruana's artwork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Des said:

There was a post on another forum regarding one of the other titles from the same publisher saying that there were problems with the printer which have now been resolved but everything is running a little late as a result.     Personally I always though the content of MAI was a bit thin and gave up completely when they stopped running Richard Caruana's artwork.

That was the story last year when the same problems arose.

Still not in Smiths either, as of yesterday, so I'm assuming this is a repeat of the printing problem.

When the editorship moved to Spencer, I thought that was a massive step forward and made me subscribe. Content seems to have tailed off of late - I'm not particularly interested in Mustangs or Fw190s - and the writing style has become a little grating. There is a general overuse of gerunds.

Before someone wonders if I can do better, I did offer when contributors were solicited in an editorial, but never received a reply...

Jon

I was quite excited when Spencer took over the reins at MAI because I consider one of the best magazine editors in the modelling world.  However, despite that good will, I'm afraid I haven't so far felt inspired to dip hand into pocket to buy a copy.

just rang and spoke to the publishers. They are stating that they have received the copies from the printers yesterday and should be in the shops in the next couple of days!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:22 AM, Jon Bryon said:

Before someone wonders if I can do better, I did offer when contributors were solicited in an editorial, but never received a reply...

Jon

well, they would certainly pick me up as a reader Jon, if they took you on.  I regularly look at your site for updates.  Love reading about how you tackled your latest build, what worked and what didn't.

Bruce

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

well, they would certainly pick me up as a reader Jon, if they took you on.  I regularly look at your site for updates.  Love reading about how you tackled your latest build, what worked and what didn't.

Bruce

That's very kind words :) I'm working on 4 1/48 F-4 Phantoms at the moment, simultaneously, so it will be a while before the next update...hopefully before Christmas.

From my perspective, there are two main disadvantages to contributing to a magazine:

1. You lose control of the content. I like having my stuff available on the internet, mainly because I like occasionally viewing my collection from wherever I happen to be!

2. The need for in-progress photos. I don't have a dedicated area to take these, and setting up and tearing down the photo equipment is very time-consuming.

I'm not sure the small financial rewards available outweigh these downsides.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1