Original Frog Javelin

Gloster Javelin WT836

5th Prototype

Javelin 001

This was built from the original 1950s Frog kit. I suppose I could have e-bayed it or kept it in the attic for 20 years but I went for a nostalgic simple build instead.

I bought this for £12 at the Farnborough Modelfest last year. When questioned about why it was only £12, the trader said that they were ‘not uncommon’. Well I hadn’t seen one for about 50 years so I was more than happy with the price.

Javelin 002

As far as I remember I was given one of these for a birthday when I was about 10 or so and I’ve no idea what happened to it. It was great to build it again. No messing about with correcting inaccuracies (that would have taken a long time) but I decided those ridiculous rivets had to go. I just carried out a little scribing of panels on the wing upper surfaces to relieve the big areas of smooth plastic, added some jetpipes, filled the big gaps between parts with Milliput and that was about it.

I kept the original Frogmen and the non-existent undercarriage bays to retain some of the character of this thing. The kit decals were completely shot so I replaced them with Xtradecal and Modeldecal generic items.

Javelin 003

When I was putting on the paint I was about to blast the undersides with High Speed Silver when I discovered that the Javelin prototypes were Medium Sea Grey underneath.

Javelin 004

Javelin 005

Overall it looks a bit like a Javelin but I think this was a later issue kit because there is an attempt at a kinked wing leading edge – I say ‘attempt’ because it was done without increasing the wing chord at the tip which has left a partially done kinked wing.

Javelin 008

Javelin 009

Chris

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

I could have e-bayed it

I'm really glad you didn't.

Shows what can be done with a vintage kit without all the bells and whistles of today.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Nice!  I'm enjoying seeing some "nostalgia builds" of some of these older kits, building them just the way they are (nonexistent wheel wells and all).  It looks good.  I remember here in the U.S. Hawk did a simple 1/72 release of the prototype Javelin back in the mid 1950s.  I enthusiastically rushed out to buy one after seeing one that one of my friends had - all of 98 cents back then .  It was molded in top and bottom halves with the fuselage and wings all together and came in a square box with a painting of several Javelins (colored incorrectly in green and brown camouflage - like 1940 Spitfire Is) with air to air missiles attacking some Russian Tu16 Badger bombers.  Like your Frog kit it had similar nonexistent wheel wells.  Nostalgia, indeed.

Brings back a lot of fond memories......probably a lot more fun than building and cramming in every etched and resin detail set known to man on one of the new-tool wonders! Well done, sir! Other than the wonky radome and lack of wheel bays, she looks pretty darned good, and you have done an old kit justice!

Mike

Love seeing these old kits getting the TLC they deserve. You’ve done this old girl proud. They should be build and displayed with pride not stuck in the attic until they’re value on eBay brings them out of the dark and we are forced to pay over the odds for the kits we desire. Enough of the rant.

This is a lovely classic build showing the kit how it should be put together and painted. Well done I would be proud to have this on display 👍

5 hours ago, Niles said:

Nice!  I'm enjoying seeing some "nostalgia builds" of some of these older kits, building them just the way they are (nonexistent wheel wells and all).  It looks good.  I remember here in the U.S. Hawk did a simple 1/72 release of the prototype Javelin back in the mid 1950s.  I enthusiastically rushed out to buy one after seeing one that one of my friends had - all of 98 cents back then .  It was molded in top and bottom halves with the fuselage and wings all together and came in a square box with a painting of several Javelins (colored incorrectly in green and brown camouflage - like 1940 Spitfire Is) with air to air missiles attacking some Russian Tu16 Badger bombers.  Like your Frog kit it had similar nonexistent wheel wells.  Nostalgia, indeed.

Here's that very kit!  Another gem from years back.

Apologies for butting in to this thread.

Edited by TonyW

I love it!

Reminds me of a time long gone when kit building was a simple thing that gave enjoyment for a day or two.

Simpler times.

Edited by Neil.C

Had the pleasure of seeing this at the last club meeting, (see my sig)   it's as good as the photos show, Chris's models are always a treat to see on the table in person.

27 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

At least it's not a whif......but next time who knows?

you'll be doing Luft 46 next then ;)

cheers

T

That is superb Chris.

A 1950s FROG prototype Javelin turned into something special, beautifully built, painted and photographed.

I love to see old models well built and presented more so than a lot of the modern ones. I really like that you have kept the character of the old kit with the flush wheel wells, I did that with my 1950s FROG Hunter but I too would have reduced the rivets.

I hope there will be more,

regards,  adey

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Had the pleasure of seeing this at the last club meeting, (see my sig)   it's as good as the photos show, Chris's models are always a treat to see on the table in person.

you'll be doing Luft 46 next then ;)

cheers

T

No chance, Troy. No nasty black cross things in my collection! (except a Starfighter and Phantom or two). My sort of whif would be 'what if I can finish something in less than 3 months?'. Or maybe something like the first F-111K in test markings with some dayglo here and there - more of a 'almost was' than a 'what if'.

• Like 1

Nicely done. I recently picked up on eBay an old Hawk F4D Skyray, which was the first model I ever built, back in the early '60s. When I get around to building it, I hope it comes out as looking as good as your build.