1/144 Zvezda Air New Zealand 777-200 (converted from -300)

On 02/07/2018 at 00:19, Turbofan said:

I was particularly pleased with the landing gear details and feel this does enhance the look of the model.

42419455954_047bda087f_o.jpg

Ian,  I was just looking at the pilot and I'm sure I saw him move!!  A truly beautiful model, expertly built and presented.

I would also be interested in a tutorial on how to get that effect with the landing gear.  I've recently acquired the Minicraft B777-200 kit and could use it as practice, if I can get some tutorial advice.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments everyone, I really appreciate it.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:19 AM, stevehnz said:

but I really don't need another 777-300 kit, I really , really......maybe.......perhaps, don't need..........I'll think about it. :D

Steve, you know you want one really and there's always room for another Zvezda kit somewhere.

On 7/11/2018 at 7:17 AM, Malair said:

Great job as per usual Ian. That landing gear looks amazing!

Excellent conversion job as well. It seems like you really like doing conversions 😊

Thanks Martijn, yes I really do like conversions I enjoyed doing this one so much I started another 777-200 straight away despite having lots of other models on the bench needing completing!

On 7/11/2018 at 9:55 AM, bootneck said:

I would also be interested in a tutorial on how to get that effect with the landing gear. 

Well Mike it helps to start with the Zvezda kit as it is already nice and crisply detailed. I don't know what the Minicraft 777 landing gear is like.

I used the Metallic Details brass etch which includes lots of details for the landing gear although I did add a few extra hoses on the main gear.

As for painting I started with a coat of Boeing Grey for the wheels as well as the struts, then the hoses were hand painted with a very small brush.

I gave the entire undercarriage, including the wheel hubs, a once over with a very thin black enamel wash, more like dirty thinners than paint really, which picked out the detail. Before mounting the wheels, again using very thin black enamel paint I carefully touched each tyre hub with just enough on the brush for it to spread around the hub by capillary action. The rest of the tyre was painted with a mix of black and a tiny bit of grey. The final stage is to wrap a tiny bit of High Shine Metallic Decal from AA around the 'shiny bit of the strut' (that's a technical term by the way!) which I feel really brings it to life. Although you can't see them in any of the pics I also used 1mm little-lenses from modellingtools.co.uk. for the taxi lights.

Hope this helps Mike.

Now I'm off to carry on with my next 777! An LR this time, it's a much easier conversion because I can use the kits engines and don't need any work on the wingtips either.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ian,  even I managed to understand those guidelines and I shall store those details for future projects.  Funds are the issue at the moment so I won't be able to get a Zvesda yet, however I can attempt your techniques on my Minicraft kit.

Mike

• 5 months later...