1/144 Zvezda Air New Zealand 777-200 (converted from -300)

Another for our Antipodean Modellers!

Once again this is one which has been sitting around for a while and I've finally got around to finishing it. This is the second time it was painted I wasn't happy with the finish first time round so removed the paint and it sat there for probably a year before I picked it up again.

It's converted from the -300 by shortening the fuselage, removing the extended wing tips and swapping the engines with the excellent Bra.Z RR Trent 800s. There is also a tiny part removed from the main landing gear but I can't remember which part! The tail bumper is also removed. It's a very easy conversion and personally I prefer the look of the -200 to the -300 which I find too lanky so will be doing more in the future.

I was originally going to use the PAS decal but wasn't convinced the white would be opaque enough so used the F-DCAL silk screen decal instead which I was very pleased with. Flight deck and cabin windows are from Authentic Airliners. Paint is Halfords Appliance White and Gloss Black straight from the can with the Boeing Grey areas airbrushed with Mr Color 315.

I used the Metallic Details brass etch set which was very crisp and well detailed, I was particularly pleased with the landing gear details and feel this does enhance the look of the model. In the future I think I would just drill small holes for the pitots etc rather than use their method of attaching these small pieces to a tiny base then sticking this to the model. It makes for easier attaching but I think it looks clunky.

Here's some pics.

42234060365_721d04ae3b_o.jpg

43138253531_46d5556bbe_o.jpg

42234058315_ddb2c54776_o.jpg

42234056805_fe5353db1e_o.jpg

43138252601_9b6fd91d7f_o.jpg

42234063165_5a8ec8c095_o.jpg

42234061975_84efd46c51_o.jpg

42234053145_75c3d7fe0a_o.jpg

42234051495_89081dbc0d_o.jpg

43138254371_7ff9315bc0_o.jpg

42419455954_047bda087f_o.jpg

42419455554_f3299d5b42_o.jpg

Although it's just black and white I think this livery is so classy, it's one of my favourite current liveries. Hope you like it too!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

WOW Ian!!

Those mains look really good with the etched details added. and I quite like the "colour" scheme

Good job you weren't disturbed by phone calls when you applied the decals. :tease:.  Could have been disastrous.

Must get the conversion details from you next time as I wouldn't mind having a crack at one myself one of these fine days.

Really nice result.

Chris.

You continue to turn out astonishing models Ian, this is an absolute beauty. I love the subtle weathering on the wings and those undercarriage details do look very good. I agree that the 200 is better looking than the 300, and like Chris I wouldn't mind having a go at this conversion.

cheers

John

Another fantastic build Ian! The attention to detail, decals and paint finish are all quite splendid, and as for the U/C ......... I don't think I've seen 1/144 U/C looking that good before!

Cheers

Terry

That's really splendid Ian.  Well done :clap2: 

I may pm you at some point for further details of the conversion which looks very tempting.  

It's the first time I've seen anyone use Metallic Details photo etch.  I bought a set for the 787 but my eyesight isn't what it was and some of the smaller parts looked so fiddly that I eventually chickened out of using it.  Seeing the result you've achieved, particularly that stunning undercarriage, has rather made my regret my decision.  I suppose I'll just have to build another 787 !

Thanks for yet more inspirational modelling.

Dave G

Beautiful!  Flew home from Vancouver via Auckland on two of these a fortnight ago.  I'll have to check my photos to see if one of them was yours!  Nice Airline Air New Zealand.

Andrew

• Like 1

Your T7 looks great, very clean built and painted.

The presentation of the plane is the icing on the cake. The last three pics looks like taken by a spotter from the fence.

Daniel

Thank you for all your compliments everyone!

21 hours ago, stringbag said:

Good job you weren't disturbed by phone calls when you applied the decals.

At least I could ignore the phone, last time something like that happened was when I'd just slid an easyjet billboard decal off the backing sheet and my then baby daughter woke up and I had to sort her out. By the time I eventually got her settled the decal had just about dried into the model in completely the wrong position. It took ages to sort it out. I didn't do any modelling again until the children had got a lot older!

21 hours ago, stringbag said:

Must get the conversion details from you next time as I wouldn't mind having a crack at one myself one of these fine days.

14 hours ago, Viking said:

and like Chris I wouldn't mind having a go at this conversion.

11 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I may pm you at some point for further details of the conversion which looks very tempting

Well, I've got another in the loft so I think we should all do a mini 777-200 Group Build!

I'm just sizing up decals and I wouldn't mind doing a Singapore Airlines one next.

Thanks for everyone's comments about the undercarriage. They are my favourite bit of this model, unfortunately the photos don't really do them justice as I can't really get in close enough to get a good pic but it wouldn't be possible without the Metallicdetails brass etch which is very good although quite fiddly. Dave when you do your 777 send me the undercarriage and brass etch and I'll detail it up for you! I'm sure you'll be fine with a magnifier though.

3 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

the last three pics looks like taken by a spotter from the fence.

Thanks Daniel! This is exactly the kind of effect I want to achieve with my models, as realistic as possible!

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

I'll have to check my photos to see if one of them was yours!

Was it Andrew? Be great if it was!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, lovely finish and detailing you have done there, the undercarriages are amazing,the best I have seen in this scale, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael.

....are you sure you uploaded pics of the model ? Looks like a real one😉

This is another stunner from your assembly line.Awesome detail and finish.

I really love Air New Zealand`s livery.

I was planning to do a 787-9 but I am still undecided if it should be the all black or the black and white version.Probably I will end up doing both...

On 7/2/2018 at 10:53 PM, MartinSK said:

Ian that is fantastic looking 777-200. As was mentioned details & realistic weathering & whole model are top class. Great inspiration for me to build some airliner again :)

Thank you Martin, I hope my models do inspire more airliner models on RFI we need more airliners! Go on you know you want to!

On 7/2/2018 at 11:59 PM, michael301757 said:

the undercarriages are amazing,the best I have seen in this scale, great job   

On 7/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Really love the detailed gear..

Thanks Michael and Paul, it really wouldn't have been possible without the Metallic details brass etch, I'm really pleased with the way these look. I think I'm going to detail more undercarriage in the future.

On 7/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, Alex1978 said:

Looks like a real one

That's the effect I'm trying to create Alex!

I agree about the Air New Zealand livery, it's amazing how a black and white livery can look so classy and not in the slightest bit dull.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

That is terrific Ian, I've just bought a Zvezda 777-300 to do a Cathay plane, my son & I flew in HK-LHR-HK on our trip to the UK nearly five years ago. We flew one of these on a code share AK-HK, it was the best part of the trip, even though the seats were smaller, the crew were awesome, but I really don't need another 777-300 kit, I really , really......maybe.......perhaps, don't need..........I'll think about it. :D

Steve.