Airfix 1/72 Dornier DO17 discontinued?

coolhand

Hi all.

Just wondering if the Airfix Dornier DO17 has been discontinued as I cannot find it on the website? If it has can anyone recommend an alternative in 1/72. I'm looking to build a Battle of Britain aircraft. While I think about it can anyone recommend a decent Heinkel 111 from same period and scale?

Many thanks

Andy

Hasegawa do a number of He111 variants including both P and H variants, but does suffer from excessively heavy panel lines.  The new Airfix one is very good but the first release was a later variant.  I understand that earlier versions are possible and may have been released by now?  Of earlier toolings the Italeri is good, but again a later variant.

Key differences marking earlier variants are thinner prop blades, different fronts to the gondola, and lighter armaments. You would also need to consider exhausts and external bomb racks (i.e. none).

PS. ICM do a Dornier 17Z and indeed a 215.

Edited by Graham Boak

Dornier: Airfix may have sold out its recent stock but there are plenty for sale by retailers

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Airfix-A05010-Dornier-Do17z-Model-Kit-1-72/2255409403

Heinkel: Airfix kit also still available if you look

(It's true that Airfix have also done a later-war He 111 H-6 but they have also done the P linked below, which is a Battle of Britain era)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Airfix-A06014-Heinkel-He111-P-2-Model-Kit-1-72/2255801956

Incidentally, if you will forgive a heresy, some of the recent Airfix bomber kits including the Dornier and Heinkel both, have a lot of small fiddly parts and according to some builders on here can be a bit tricky to assemble. If you're not particulary knowledgable about the Do17, want an easy build, and don't mind something with a slightly too-broad wing, then the old Monogram Do17z is a lot of fun and can often be picked up very cheaply.

Edited by Work In Progress

Hi thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm not going to struggle to find one of these kits. Going to give the monogram kit a look too. Not too concerned if the shape is slightly off.

Many thanks

Andy

1 hour ago, Michael louey said:

I've heard the ICM kit is in many ways "better" than the Airfix kit other than some problems with the representation of some areas of the engine -

ICM's represenation of the tail is really problematic too. No representation of it's variable incidence, while the span of the moving surfaces is too short, the fixed inboard area being widened to compensate.

There may be other issues, awareness of this one ruled out the kit for me with the Airfix kit already available,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

On 7/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, Graham Boak said:

The new Airfix one is very good but the first release was a later variant.

The first release of the Airfix He 111 was a P variant, which is appropriate for the Battle of Britain. 

On 7/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, Work In Progress said:

then the old Monogram Do17z is a lot of fun and can often be picked up very cheaply.

Even the FROG Do 17Z kit is not bad when you get right down to it. Neither the Monogram nor the FROG have much in the way of interiors. 

I have the Monogram in the stash and had a look at it recently.  I was again impressed at the cleanliness of the mouldings, the lack of flash and the clarity of the glassware.  A simple kit with no drama - typical Monogram of the period.

I ought to stir my stumps and get it started.

The Monogram was my first Do17 way back in 1970 thereabouts. I was really impressed by the mouldings and the details, especially when compared to my usual Airfix. FROG and Lindberg kits.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

The advice used to be: cross-kit the Monogram and FROG kits, using the main parts of the FROG with the detail parts of the Monogram to get an accurate Z.  I'm sure a bit of scratchbuilding in the cockpit and some external scribing wouldn't go amiss too.  I still plan to give this a try at some point.