“Hello,Friends” - Finally got this finished and great to be back ‘On Radar’.She’s finished in ‘Xtracolor Enamel’ and after decalling sealed overall with brush-applied ‘Klear/Pledge’.

Hoping you enjoy viewing.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

37EC699E-492E-472B-B14D-BD8C462D691E

D7757325-B4DA-42DF-BBC6-707D1AD11157

B9D2FBB1-2343-41AE-9CB9-D8E6435299CD

AA61833F-C743-4E70-8294-7C6F2D1520CF

DA7DE4BC-8815-49AE-803D-05A75630F4E1

90E5DF38-0046-4EF2-B8E6-02B96370471B

A1FA6620-70AF-41DE-A3BB-375C8F3E0768

E1BB7B66-88AF-4E73-B2ED-187EB7191DE2

A9C40F2B-F8FC-4CB3-AEC6-A3B1DC459D49

C31E4850-D9B0-4BCF-8DB9-A7AA41587B36

798C313C-F8FA-4620-B440-20AA78DC35F0

64C7BAC7-602A-4F81-A7D6-46783EB3E973

C5D57A49-F1F5-4BBD-888C-D1BD9F746457

F699CC0F-C13F-499D-8EE1-4A4863D4C85A

5280D9A2-663B-4DD6-B0E7-FB011DB49953

• Like 56

Hello,Gentlemen -  My sincere thanks and appreciation to each and everyone of you for your very kind replies.

This was a protracted build due to a series of disasters along the way.

Firstly, in customary style I was spraying the acrylic car primer straight from the ‘rattlecan’ when the nozzle went tech and squirted a jet of primer all over the upper surfaces.Once dried, a mega-sanding and repreparation for a repaint.

Secondly, a disastrous encounter with the ‘CAM’ Decals Sheet for this scheme.I’m not the only modeller on BM to have had major issues with them.Once again,out with the sanding sponge to remove all traces of these decals followed by repaint No.2.

By chance and good fortune,I came across a secondhand set of the original Hasegawa kit decals at Cosford Show last April.Thankfully,they saved the day and performed perfectly.

The attached photo shows the model during a restoration phase :-

C40B474C-783D-479C-BBCD-49E372FA27BD

• Like 1

Lock-on achieved Paul, I have been waiting for this beauty since our conversation and what a cracker, the finish you have achieved with both the paint and the infamous decals is top draw, there is no sign of any of the mountains you had to climb to finish her.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I take it the decorating went better than this build😉

Best wishes

Gary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Lock-on achieved Paul, I have been waiting for this beauty since our conversation and what a cracker, the finish you have achieved with both the paint and the infamous decals is top draw, there is no sign of any of the mountains you had to climb to finish her.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

I take it the decorating went better than this build😉

Best wishes

Gary

Hello,Gary- Bless you,My Friend - Well, the decorating was certainly quicker!

Thank you for your reply,it’s much appreciated and respected.

The added photo shows her before her final appointment with the airbrush and also the secondhand Hasegawa kit decals.They saved the day as far as this scheme was concerned. My best guess is that they must have been about 25 years old? As a safeguard,I coated them with Microscale ‘Decal Film’ as an extra precaution but I don’t think that was necessary In hindsight.They behaved perfectly and I only needed to use a little cosmetic work with the red and blue in a couple of places which I  expected I would have to do anyway.

I’m just delighted she finally made it and is completed.

As Always,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Paul. What a phantastic Phantom! Absolutely superb! Impressive work with the decals too!! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hello,Stix - Thank you very much.She finally got there after a dreadfully long time.It’s great to have finally completed another build to post up.

Hoping You and Mrs.Stix are okay.As Always,Paul😉👍

“Hello,Friends” - Many thanks to each and everyone for your very kind and much appreciated replies and feedback.

I’m aware of the new 1/72 scale Airfix rendition of the British Phantom but in 1/48 scale, with all respects to Hasegawa, I think an upgraded new-tool is overdue and also for the F-4E Series.

I hope my next Phantom build will be less fraught and problematic than this one was.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:15 AM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Gentlemen -  My sincere thanks and appreciation to each and everyone of you for your very kind replies.

This was a protracted build due to a series of disasters along the way.

Firstly, in customary style I was spraying the acrylic car primer straight from the ‘rattlecan’ when the nozzle went tech and squirted a jet of primer all over the upper surfaces.Once dried, a mega-sanding and repreparation for a repaint.

Secondly, a disastrous encounter with the ‘CAM’ Decals Sheet for this scheme.I’m not the only modeller on BM to have had major issues with them.Once again,out with the sanding sponge to remove all traces of these decals followed by repaint No.2.

By chance and good fortune,I came across a secondhand set of the original Hasegawa kit decals at Cosford Show last April.Thankfully,they saved the day and performed perfectly.

The attached photo shows the model during a restoration phase :-

C40B474C-783D-479C-BBCD-49E372FA27BD

I have the CAM Pro decal set and would be interested to know what problems you encountered so I can see if they're worth using.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

I have the CAM Pro decal set and would be interested to know what problems you encountered so I can see if they're worth using.

Hello,Nocoolname - Thank you for your question.I know I haven’t been the only person on BM to have encountered problems with these decals.

Okay, the problems started with the prolonged soaking time required for them to move from the backing paper.They were also supposed to be compatible with MicroSol/Set according to the instructions.

The Decals were extremely brittle and split despite being carefully handled during positioning.Once in place I found the Microscale System had no effect on them at all.So,I purchased Daco Products Medium Strength Decal Solution.This needed to be applied repeatedly before the decals began to respond.However, they wouldn’t conform to the airframe shape other than on the flattest surfaces.

The clear carrier film wrinkled like cellophane and again wouldn’t smoothly conform to shape.

I got about halfway through the decalling process when during handling the dried decals began to lift off.They hadn’t adhered properly.They were applied on a properly prepared and high gloss surface.

I’d approached the whole process in a textbook manner but realised this was a waste of time and effort.

So, out came the sanding sponge and I removed all traces of the decals and prepared the airframe for repainting as shown on the photo I posted earlier.

I was so disappointed at that stage but I realised I was on mission impossible to create my ‘dream scheme’ on this model.

On the flip side, the decals promised so much because the actual printing,detail and colours were exquisite.

I thank goodness I was very lucky in finding and purchasing a secondhand Hasegawa Decal Sheet from a trader at Cosford Show, again shown in the photo. Despite their obvious age, they behaved perfectly. With a scheme like this, you can expect to use a little artistic use of a small brush.This was minimal. Without the kit release decal sheet this scheme wouldn’t have materialised.

I wish you all the best with your final decision, Nocoolname.

All The Best, Paul.😉👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul!

Have seen this beauty finally made it to the forum. Very nice result despite the problems you had! There is never a build with some disasters along the way...

Cheers, 

Mario

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Paul!

Have seen this beauty finally made it to the forum. Very nice result despite the problems you had! There is never a build with some disasters along the way...

Cheers, 

Mario

Many thanks,Mario - Yes,My Friend, I’m delighted the build finally came to a happy conclusion but she occupied the Production Facility too long!?! How true your comment is.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1