Help with Curtiss F9C Sparrow Hawk

Hello all ... Starting to look more into interwar aircraft lately ? Primarily U.S.. Im curious does anyone make a Curtis F9C Sparrowhawk ? The type carried by the U.S.S. Akron & Macon Dirigible aircraft carriers ? Preferably in 1/72 but any scale is actually fine ? Im thinking it would be an interesting plane to build ? Thank you in advance for any help i get. 

Dennis

As noted Pegasus and Czech Masters.

I built the Pegasus kit about 28 years ago give or take a year and it is a typical short run kit. Requires work to get it right and a bit of scratchbuilding to improve. I built the the hook mounting etc to improve the kit variety. Turned out OK.   

• Thanks 1

While the Williams Brothers kit isn't technically a short run kit, you really do have to treat it as such, test fitting, filing, sanding, filling, rinse and repeat… 😏

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Don McIntyre said:

While the Williams Brothers kit isn't technically a short run kit, you really do have to treat it as such, test fitting, filing, sanding, filling, rinse and repeat… 😏

Ive built a couple of Williams bros. Kits and I couldnt agree more. 

Hello again ... Just in case i cant afford the Lonestar resin kit. Does anyone know if i can convert an F11c Goshawk into a sparrowhawk ?

It looks like it might be feasible ? The length is only 2 feet off( Goshawk is longer). The wingspan is 6 feet shorter(Goshawk is 31’6” & Sparrowhawk is 25’6”). The height is 8” different. The Goshawk used an R-1820 and the Sparrowhawk used the R-975. The cowling is pushed back and blended into the fuselage on the sparrow so that would account for the 2 foot difference.

Otherwise the two planes look very similar in planform ? If im crazy for considering this let me know ? If its feasible i might consider it ? Of course i would have to build the hook on the upper wing for the trapeze arrestor. Any other issues if you know of any ? 

The moderately insane

Dennis 

• 2 weeks later...

By way of warning, Pegasus had two goes at the Sparrowhawk. The earlier kit is one of Chris Gannon's first and a little chunky. The second version is more refined and has decals. I am pretty sure Aeroclub did an engine that would fit, but that might just be my memory playing tricks. Started it but fell by the wayside when I started a serious relationship with the current Mrs T and also decided that I would only model aircraft used by British forces to slim the stash down a bit. 

• Thanks 1

I have built the Williams Sparrowhawk, and as others said, as long as you approach it as a short run kit, you’ll do well. 

It’s a tiny aircraft, so it is small even in 1/32.

Lonestar has resin goodies for it, although you can fix any issues in the kit with basic modeling skills.

And Yellow Wings has some nice A.M. decals for the kit as well.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, Mike Esposito said:

Thanks. Sent them an email. Hopefully I will hear back soon. Really want this kit. 1/72 too small...1/32 too big!😂

Mike,

Lone Star Models is currently in the process of moving (to another city) so it will a while before he's up and running and filling orders.

Latest information from Mike at Lone Star Models is that he's not accepting orders until after the relocation and the IPMS/USA Nationals.

Orders won't be taken until September, at the earliest.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, Mike Esposito said:

Bummer! 😥

And, once Lone Star Models reopens in September he'll be working on an alternating month schedule...

One month taking orders and the next month casting those orders.

So, if you really want one of his products be aware it may take up to 2 months for an order to arrive once placed.

Tim

• Thanks 2

Meanwhile I know size is an issue for you but a Sparrowhawk in 1/32 is still smaller than a Hurricane in 1/48 so don't pass up a Williams Bros kit if you get the chance. It rely isn't that hard providing you take it nice and steady.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a Williams Brothers one in a local collectors shop a week or so ago for £10. Whole bunch of stuff in there, but haven't been able to get back yet. Amassing references before I start; looking carefully at setting up the undercarriage for an 'on ground' option. The instructions are helpful in this regard, a case of having to trim a couple of struts, but.....lol

• Like 1